Minnesota Babies
Options

Expectations for your pediatrician's office

Hi - I need some help understanding what to expect with a MN pediatricians office. I was unaware that my daughter needed to go back in for a 9 month visit. I feel stupid, but no one told me at our 6 month visit that we needed to come back in 3 months. I saw the 9 month visit on other doctor lists and have heard friends mention their recent visits but thought our doctor didn't think it was necessary. Our daughter is doing fine, so I wasn't overly concerned about going to the doctor.

Just to be sure, I called the doctor's office. They said they give out a pamphlet that says babies need to come in at 9 months. I carefully read all of the information they give me and I don't remember seeing anything about the visit schedule. Regardless, do your pediatrician's remind you when it is time to come in again or are you on your own? Our physicians, vet and dentist (even oil changes!) all remind us when it is time to come in for a visit...it seems like it wouldn't be too much to ask for the pediatricians office to do the same thing (especially if we're past due). I'd like to know they're actually watching out for us; right now it seems like they don't care. 

I haven't been thrilled with this office in general. We can't seem to find a doctor there that we connect with so trying to figure out what I should expect from them and if it is time to switch.

Meanwhile, we're now scheduled for a visit with the first available doctor so we're back on track. 

Thanks for any guidance!

Re: Expectations for your pediatrician's office

• Options

ours tells me at the end of the appointment when they would like the next well visit scheduled. 

If they didn't though, it wouldn't be a big deal, because I would ask if I didn't know the schedule.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine calls (it's an automated message) to let us know that they have started taking appointments for a certain month that we would be due for an appointment. Example- if we are suppose to bring LO in for 15 month appointment in April, they called end of Feb./early March to let us know they were taking appointments that far out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think they should definitely call you or at least tell you at the end of your last visit... Most places it would be assumed to be handy to know so you could schedule an appointment on your way out... Weird. If you're not feeling comfortable with them, I'd totally switch. You're paying them good money and if they aren't making you feel at least comfortable that they care about your family, then why keep giving them money?
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I usually ask too....but I was wondering the same thing with my 2 year old - I assume she doesn't go back till 3, I don't think there's a 2.5 yr visit, but suppose I should check.
    imageCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

imagemplsbride31:
    I usually ask too....but I was wondering the same thing with my 2 year old - I assume she doesn't go back till 3, I don't think there's a 2.5 yr visit, but suppose I should check.

we had a 2.5 year. I was told it was a newer recommendation by the AAP 

• Options
    imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

imagemplsbride31:

What did they do at the 2.5?  I just called to get the MMR and our didn't mention anything about doing a 2.5 well check. 

I get annoyed how things change for well checks/vax and stuff.  That is for another post though ;)

• Options
    imageMelissa17:
    imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

imagemplsbride31:

What did they do at the 2.5?  I just called to get the MMR and our didn't mention anything about doing a 2.5 well check. 

I get annoyed how things change for well checks/vax and stuff.  That is for another post though ;)

same as pretty much every other well visit. weight, height, vaxes, etc. 

• Options

The 2.5 year old well check is a good example that I think is related to my personal issue with the 9 month visit. How does your doctor keep you up to date on the changes? I'm a responsible person but there is SO much stuff to keep track of, I'm struggling to keep on track of it all. Just when I feel like I'm on top of the daily eating schedule for veggies, fruits, dairy, grains, I realize I forgot to follow-up with the doctor. 

I was hoping to find a doctor that would help keep me on top of some of the info. For example, sending out a blast email about recent AAP recommendations like the rear facing car seat and/or recommended well visits at 2.5. Or calling/emailing when we've missed another scheduled well visit.

• Options

imagemplsbride31:

Ours still doesn't do a 2.5 year old well-check. 

But yeah, ours tells us at the end of our visit.  And we get a schedule at every single appointment.  We have a million of those laying around.  And you can find the schedule on their website.

I don't really expect to get a call or anything, especially during the first year, because they are so close together.  During the first year, we usually just scheduled the next appointment at the end of our visit.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"