1st Trimester
Options

Seaweed

Hello,

I love to eat veggie sushi (cucumber and carrot) and wanted to see if anyone knew anything about the Seaweed being safe to eat.  I googled it and it seems okay, and I'm going to call my OB this week, but I would like some tonight!

Thanks

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Seaweed

• Options

Why wouldn't it be safe?

I don't eat it, but I can't imagine why it would be unsafe.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    One site i was reading says it absorbs mercury and i know you're supposed to avoid mercury...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I asked my midwife today about sushi, because I love it. She said that if you eat it prepregnancy it's fine...in moderation. Of course you want to watch the types of fish you eat...but if swordfish is your favorite, eating small amounts on occasion is fine. I would assume that seaweed is good for a pregnant woman, it's a leafy green (in dried form). 

That being said, my midwife rolls her eyes at a lot of the rules...like deli meat. She isn't a fan of it, but because of the sodium and nitrates, not the bacteria.  

• Options
    Raw meat of any sort (as in sushi) is not recommended because it can harbor parasites and bacteria, but seaweed should be ok.  Sushi like california rolls and sushi with cooked fish and seafood should be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

The nori seaweed you're talking about is absolutely safe to eat during pregnancy. There's no feasible way it could absorb enough mercury to be harmful. In fact, most reliable pregnancy websites will tell you you don't even have to avoid all types of fish- just big predatory fish like the swordfish and a few others. Think about it- seaweed is not predatory. The amounts of mercury that could possibly be in it are only large enough to affect your baby about 7 or 8 links up in the food chain.

As far as sushi goes- it all depends on where you get your fish. In my opinion, everything is safe in moderation, even real, honest to goodness raw fish sushi. Then again, I live in Japan, where just by principle of demand, we have access to much higher quality, sashimi-grade fish, that's much fresher than what you probably have stateside.

TBH, I would me much more concerned with how much soy sauce you are eating with your veggie rolls- too much sodium can make you swell up and retain water!

• Options

Sushi is NOT dangerous in pregnancy!

Yes, you need to avoid high murcury fish but there is no problem with raw sushi. Sushi fish is of the highest grade and is flash frozen before being transported (which kills any bad stuff that is there) and is actually safer than the burger you may eat from a fast food joint being prepared by some 17-year-old stoner who didn't wash his hands after going to the bathroom (shudder). 

Think about it - pregnant women in Japan have been eating sushi forever and have had no problems! Our "myth" about sushi is not based on any scientific evidence and is just a demonstration of  ethnocentrism and bias.

Seriously, your risk of food poisoning from chicken is 40 times higher than your risk from seafood (non-shellfish).

If you like sushi, don't deprive yourself! Just watch out for high-murcury foods.

::steps off soapbox::

Read more at http://www.babymed.com/food-and-nutrition/how-safe-it-eat-sushi-or-raw-fish-during-pregnancy?ktrack=kcplin

• Options
    Yay! We can eat sushi! Just carefully! Thank goodness--I LOVE sushi so this is great to hear! Thanks for the info!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageb.heather:

Sushi is NOT dangerous in pregnancy!

Yes, you need to avoid high murcury fish but there is no problem with raw sushi. Sushi fish is of the highest grade and is flash frozen before being transported (which kills any bad stuff that is there) and is actually safer than the burger you may eat from a fast food joint being prepared by some 17-year-old stoner who didn't wash his hands after going to the bathroom (shudder). 

Think about it - pregnant women in Japan have been eating sushi forever and have had no problems! Our "myth" about sushi is not based on any scientific evidence and is just a demonstration of  ethnocentrism and bias.

Seriously, your risk of food poisoning from chicken is 40 times higher than your risk from seafood (non-shellfish).

If you like sushi, don't deprive yourself! Just watch out for high-murcury foods.

::steps off soapbox::

Read more at http://www.babymed.com/food-and-nutrition/how-safe-it-eat-sushi-or-raw-fish-during-pregnancy?ktrack=kcplin

OK...Like Very Much

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"