Postpartum Depression

Anyone ever take Zoloft?

Hi I am new to this site.  I am hoping to find some support and shared stories here.  Lately I have been experiencing a lot of anxiety (my daughter is just over a year old).  I'm not sure if it's PPD or what.  I'm always worried that something is seriously wrong with me like cancer, etc.  I've been to the doctor twice and she told me I have generalized anxiety disorder.

I just started taking Zoloft on Tuesday night.  I woke up Wednesday nauseous and no appetite all day.  I forced myself to eat a few small things but I'm definitely not hungry.

Same thing this morning - nauseous again all day and night.

I called the doctor who said that nausea and loss of appetite are normal and can last a week or two while the medication gets in my system.  I am taking .25mg before bed. 

Is there anyone else who had side effects from taking Zoloft?  I am hoping they pass and it starts helping me relax.  I am also taking Xanax here and there when I get extra anxious.

Thank you for listening and sharing.

Re: Anyone ever take Zoloft?

• I've been on 50 mg of Zoloft since 1/31.  For about 2 weeks I was sluggish, jumpy, had no appetite, and had very vivid dreams.  I also started feeling better pretty soon after starting it and after 6 weeks I felt great.

I hope you feel better soon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't take zoloft, but maybe it would help with the nausea if you took it in the morning with a banana or something, instead of at night?
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been on Zoloft since April of 2008 for anxiety and depression. I started it when I was about 17-18 weeks pregnant with my first. The initial side effects were AWFUL, but the worst of them only lasted 24-48 hours. I felt like I had the flu, I was shaky, had chills, was gagging, had no appetite, it was terrible! The following 2 weeks I didn't feel GREAT, but it was nothing like that first day! Slowly, the negative symptoms faded and the medicine started to kick in. I started at 25mg and moved up to 50mg after 2 weeks or so. I'm actually at 150mg now. Anyway, it's the most effective medicine I've been on for anxiety (it's the 4th I've tried over the years). It wasn't fun to get started on, but hang in there, it DOES get better, and it's worth it! Once you are accustomed to it, just make sure you don't miss any doses. When I miss it, I get dizzy, a little nauseous, and have intense, exhausting dreams.

Good luck, and I hope it works well for you! Anxiety is no fun, especially when it's health related (mine usually is, too).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you.  It is good to hear that others have experienced similar effects.  The first 2 days were the worst.  The last two have been a little better but I still don't feel quite right.  I am trying to push through and hang in there to reap the benefits.

If anyone else has something to share, please add.  It comforts me to know the side effects are normal!

• I've been on it for a little over a month. The first couple of days it made me feel fuzzy-headed and a little out of it. I take it around 10 when I go to bed and only felt nauseated when I stayed up past midnight one night and hadn't had it yet.

I started the Zoloft because my mother recently passed away. I could not function at all with the post partum depression plus my mother's death. The Zoloft immediately stopped the flashbacks/intrusive thoughts and that *feeling* like I was going to drown. It made me feel numb to it--like saran wrapped or something.

• imagesunflowersky:

I've been on it for a little over a month. The first couple of days it made me feel fuzzy-headed and a little out of it. I take it around 10 when I go to bed and only felt nauseated when I stayed up past midnight one night and hadn't had it yet.

I started the Zoloft because my mother recently passed away. I could not function at all with the post partum depression plus my mother's death. The Zoloft immediately stopped the flashbacks/intrusive thoughts and that *feeling* like I was going to drown. It made me feel numb to it--like saran wrapped or something.

• imagePhillies2525:
    imagesunflowersky:

I've been on it for a little over a month. The first couple of days it made me feel fuzzy-headed and a little out of it. I take it around 10 when I go to bed and only felt nauseated when I stayed up past midnight one night and hadn't had it yet.

Sorry, not sure why that posted.  I was going to ask how long it took for you (or anyone else reading this) before you felt the effects?

My side effects are less (still some) but getting a little better.  I am still taking the Xanax to remain calm and I'm wondering how long before it might be working.  My doctor said at least 2 weeks but I'm wondering your experiences.

• imagePhillies2525:

Sorry, not sure why that posted.  I was going to ask how long it took for you (or anyone else reading this) before you felt the effects?

My side effects are less (still some) but getting a little better.  I am still taking the Xanax to remain calm and I'm wondering how long before it might be working.  My doctor said at least 2 weeks but I'm wondering your experiences.

I started feeling better after about 2 weeks, then by 4 weeks I felt really good and at 6 weeks I felt 100%.

Around the end of January someone (I can't remember her SN) posted daily updates about taking Zoloft, so maybe check that out.  I think everyone responds differently but for the most part 4-6 weeks is a typical time frame to start feeling better.

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • GHBEAGHBEA member
    I've been on it since Oct 2010.  I had the same symptoms as you at first.  Once my body adjusted I felt better.  I also take 25mg.  How ever I just had my baby and know its worse now I go to the Drs on Monday and I feel they will up the dosage.  Which I don't want but I know it will be the best for me emotionally and physically.
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have been on it for 2 years and have been on it throughout this pregnancy. I, too, have generalized anxiety disorder. I take it in the mornings because my doctor warned me that it can have some stimulant-like effects and, since I've struggled with insomnia, she was concerned about that. Taking it in the mornings works well for me.
    DX: I'm a Recurrent Loser
    Me (35) + DH (37) - Married Sept. 2007
    BFP #1 - DS born 7/11/11
    BFP#2 11/13/13 - EDD 7/29/14 - M/C at 5w3d
    BFP #3 12/28/13 - EDD 9/7/14 - M/C at 4w6d
    BFP#4 3/27/14 -  EDD 12/5/14 - Girl lost to 45X at 8w6d - D&C 
    BFP#5 10/15/14 - EDD 6/30/15 - M/C at 7w2d
    BFP #6 1/5/15 - EDD 9.16.14 [CLICKY for progress]
    In search of a image

• Yes, I had similar experiences when starting Zoloft and increasing my dose. It would be several days of not feeling quite right--more anxious, upset stomach, "foggy" feeling, etc. Then I would adjust and feel normal.

I have been on 100mg of Zoloft since last spring for an anxiety disorder and have never been happier or more centered. It's been a fabulous treatment for me.

I would caution you in using Xanax--it can be habit forming and it's not a recommended way of actually beating your disorder. Have you tried therapy as well as medication?

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh, in terms of how long it takes to notice improvement, anxiety is typically slower to respond to SSRIs than depression. My doctor told me around 4-6 weeks to notice improvement and up to 12 weeks to feel really 100% again (once at a therapeutic dose, which for me was 100mg). That was true in my experience. Hang in there.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"