Hawaii Babies
Options

Introducing Solids?

How many times per day did you nurse/bottle-feed after starting solids?  I've read that you should offer the bottle/breast before offering solids.  I nurse LO when he wakes up for the day, but he doesn't seem too interested in nursing throughout the rest of the day.

I guess I'm a little confused about how to continue to BF and do solids at the same time.  We fought so hard to EBF and I'm afraid that my supply will decrease, although I'm sure that will just naturally happen as little one takes more solids and decreases nursing.  We've just started this week so I'm hoping we'll fall into a routine/pattern as we go along.  TIA!

Re: Introducing Solids?

• Options

Hmmm, what you do mean by "not interested"? I know around that age, B would always be so distracted when he was nursing, but I thought it was just because he's so curious about all around him and I'd just keep at it until he nursed properly.

We actually still nurse 5-6 times a day: when he wakes up (~9am), noon, 3pm, 6pm, 8pm, 6am). He gets a bottle at 3pm two days out of the week. He eats lunch after his noon nursing and dinner after his 6pm nursing and he'll eata a lot (we feed him until he's full) but he will still nurse at 8pm before he goes to sleep. My supply still has decreased a bit from before (I get anywhere from 2-5oz per session when I pump, usually 3.75-4oz) but he'll still nurse. I think after a while (aka now, for us), he's actively interested in nursing and will really ask me for it, but there was definitely a period of time between ~5-7 months old when I wondered if he doesn't want to nurse anymore because he was always so distracted.

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Options

imageinamra:

but there was definitely a period of time between ~5-7 months old when I wondered if he doesn't want to nurse anymore because he was always so distracted.

Totally this.  Anytime she would hear a noise she would pop off and look around and then get back to it.  Definitely nurse before you feed solids, though.  Because you still want breast milk to be his primary source of nutrition until 1 year and solids are just for practice right now.  We used to wait about an hour after nursing to feed solids.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We don't bf, so I'm sure it'll be different for you, but since starting solids, Henry has gone to 4 bottles a day.  He has one when we wakes up (then solid breakfast about an hour later), one at about 11am (again, lunch about an hour later), another bottle between 3-4pm, solid dinner at 5:30, then bedtime bottle at 7pm.

HTH! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageinamra:

Hmmm, what you do mean by "not interested"? I know around that age, B would always be so distracted when he was nursing, but I thought it was just because he's so curious about all around him and I'd just keep at it until he nursed properly.

Yeah, I guess it's more that he's distracted.  He'll pull away from the breast and then arch his back to look at things around him.  When I try to get him to latch on again, he screams and cries.  I can't even get him repositioned to latch on because he stiffens his entire body.

LO is definitely changing things up, though.  He's more fussy these days (could be teething and adjusting to solids?) and has been waking in the wee hours of the morning to nurse.  He hasn't done that since he was about 8 weeks old.

Thanks for all the input!  We've been waiting about an hour after nursing before giving LO solids.  And I'm glad to see what your feeding "schedules" are like.  Very helpful!
  • Options
    ditto what pp said...except i always fed solids immediately after nursing instead of waiting 1 hr.  and she still ate A TON!!! she's our little piglet :)  since milk is still their primary source of nutrition i didn't see why we should wait after nursing to feed solids.... it would only mean that she was more hungry and it would make it closer to the next nursing session and thus potentially make her less hungry the next time she had to nurse.  when we first started solids it was only "lunch" and "dinner"..... we didn't start breakfast until around 1 yr old.  our main goal was introducing her to a variety of different tastes and textures, and i wasn't focused on getting her to eat a certain amount at all
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"