VBAC

Misinformation about VBAC makes me so mad...

There is a post on 1st Tri by a girl who was told by her doctor that she has a less than 30% chance of a successful VBAC.  WhereTF did he get that number?  Someone who replied to that thread, who apparently lives not too far from me (and I know at least 2 or 3 other people that post on this forum, in/near Philly) was trying to tell me no hospital around her will take a VBAC patient.  Uh... wrong.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=50892754

Grrrrr.

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
Sarah - 12/23/2008
Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage

Re: Misinformation about VBAC makes me so mad...

• Saw that last night and was also frustrated.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's scary- I used to be that girl. I did what the dr said because they're the dr and have my best interest at heart right? I worked in an OB office and I used to roll my eyes at birth plans and the patients who chose midwives... what a difference a year makes!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I hear you -- there's a post on SAIF right now that is hard to read for me b/c of the number of "the risks are so great" and "I would never take the VBAC risk" responses.  It makes me a little crazy but I figure that if people really want to be informed of the risks of a RCS and understand the true risks of VBAC then they will do that. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGypsyEsq:
    I hear you -- there's a post on SAIF right now that is hard to read for me b/c of the number of "the risks are so great" and "I would never take the VBAC risk" responses.  It makes me a little crazy but I figure that if people really want to be informed of the risks of a RCS and understand the true risks of VBAC then they will do that. 

Ugh.  I understand people preferring RCS but this business about how VBAC is sooo dangerous annoys the fvck out of me.

Geek, misinformation about VBAC makes me so mad too.  You gave her some awesome advice and information and it sounds like she is thinking about her options more, so that's great. 

A lot of doctors tell moms who had a c/s after pushing that they have very low chances of having a VBAC, unfortunately.  That's what the OB who did my section told me.  There is one study that found moms who dilated all the way before their section had only a 13% success rate for VBAC, so I think that's where this is coming from.  But that doesn't account for why the section happened and there are other studies completely contradicting this stat.  I also think a lot of CPD cases are misdiagnosed (hoping that will be true for me!).

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Good job schooling those people!  I think almost every hospital in our area at least PRETENDS to take VBACs.  I wonder what hospital that one girl spoke to that she just assumed Philly in general was not VBAC friendly.  So odd. . .
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • imageMAprincess:
    Good job schooling those people!  I think almost every hospital in our area at least PRETENDS to take VBACs.  I wonder what hospital that one girl spoke to that she just assumed Philly in general was not VBAC friendly.  So odd. . .

She responded to me in another thread.  Apparently Doylestown isn't really taking them anymore.  She also said Abington told her they only let you attempt a VBAC there if you had your C/S there.  That place is a teaching hospital, with an Ob/Gyn residency program.  That makes me sad, if what she was told is accurate.

I wound up PMing her about Ronni per her request.   

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"