Oregon Babies
Options

~~~MrsNWT~~~

Wow!  I can't believe how alike our situations are/were.  Even more strange because we are both in Canby!  DS will be 7 weeks on Saturday.  We were also feeding breastmilk through a tube for a while but we taped it onto our finger.  That helped for the two weeks after he was born that DH was home with us all day.  That way he could feed and I could pump.  Now I am back at work which is part of the reason I have almost completely given up.  But now that I have seen the ingredients in the formula I am trying to figure out how to get my milk supply back up and make this work (even if I do just have to pump and feed through a bottle).  I also get frustrated with pumping because I can pump forever and not get a lot of milk.  I just don't really know what to do.

Gas drops haven't really seemed to be working either.  I can't believe how much this stresses me out.

Re: ~~~MrsNWT~~~

• Options

ok...now Liane asked if you've been to a lactation person?  They are really good support and thier business is to help us LACTATE!  LOL

I understand the frustration of pumping...when I returned to work with my son I would pump for 45 minutes and hardly get anything and still feel full.  Turns out my pump was broken and not helping me let down!  So lactation could help you if that's a possiblity for you.

Also, stressing about it doesn't help you let down.  When you go to pump, lower the lights if you can, breath deep and relax...maybe take a sleeper or blanket of your son's and breath the scent of him while you start the let down...it might help.  It did me! 

And most importantly...DON'T look at how much is coming out...it doesn't help you relax!  Just sit back and concentrate on relaxing your shoulders and de-stressing when you sit to pump!

• Options

I've heard quite a few stories about pumps being defective.  That would be a nice easy solution if it was the case for you.  In addition to seeing the lactation consultant, I had great success increasing my supply by taking fenugreek and drinking a ton of water.  Some multiples moms have prescription medicines (Reglan or Domperidone) that increase their supplies.  They have some side effects, but I thought I'd mention them. 

I was also thinking about the formula situation.  Have you called the pedi and asked about the sugar content in the formula they gave you?  I'm curious why they distribute it and if they have another idea. 

Also, Hester had a good experience attending a newborn support class at a local hospital.  Maybe you'd have a chance to go to a group and present them with the situation. 

Good luck again. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, I left a message with the lactation consultant to get an appointment.  I don't think the pump is bad it seems to be working ok.  I've heard of the fenugreek and a few other things that I can't remember off the top of my head.  Part of my problem is that I am back at work.  I think a support group of some kind would probably be really beneficial for me so that I don't just give up.  I am definitely going to have to do something to up my supply because I have not dealt with the pumping a whole lot this week.  I don't think I could have handled that frustration on top of going back to work which was hard enough on it's own.  My boobs don't really get that full feeling anymore no matter how long I go without pumping or anything which worries me.  I've also never experienced a let down feeling even when I was nursing all the time.

• Options

I don't always have a let down feeling either.... 

I remember with my son I was pretty frustrated with pumping cause it seemed like I was only a milk factory since I never got to actually feed him.  When I returned to work he also cut out one night time feeding so I was only getting to nurse him at bedtime and once before work.  I felt so cheated.  But I kept at it cause I knew breastmilk had so many great benefits.

Also, once I got the "hang" of bfing my chest regulated and I never felt "full" unless my baby changes schedules on me and suddenly goes 8 hours without eating.  But then the second night of that I'm fine again. 

And yes, this baby I attended a mommy group and had a really enjoyable time!  I wished I'd attended with my son as well!  So maybe you can find one that works with your work schedule??

Good luck, sometimes women just never get a good supply no matter how hard they try, but if you're able to invest and try all your options then at least you never wonder "did I do all I could"

And if you completely give up and forumula feed, so sweat it.  Babies have been raised on forumla for years and they all turn out just fine!  So don't beat yourself up over it!  BFing is HARD work and sometimes I want my body back and think about stopping!   But it's only a year tops (for my family) so I keep on a trucking!  But your baby can turn out just fine if it doesnt' work out for you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"