Postpartum Depression
Options

general thoughts on Lexapro?

Have historically taken Effexor, but I know it's a rather nasty drug and want to consider something else, esp since my anxiety this time around is worse than it's been in the past.  If you are on Lexapro, I'd love to hear your opinions - the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Thanks!  And if you feel like it has worked on both depressive and anxious symptoms.

Re: general thoughts on Lexapro?

• Options
    Lexapro had been a miracle drug for me. I have more anxiety than depression, but still have both. I have taken it at different times in my life. I did not take it while pregnant and then recently restarted it at 8 mo postpartum. I take 10 mg currently, but did take 20 at one time. I can tell a difference when taking it in just 1-2 weeks. The only side effects it has on me is decreased sex drive, which is common for almost all SSRI meds. It makes me yawn a lot and sleepy in the beginning, but this resolves in time. I have had nothing but great results and a great experience from this drug. I hope it works for you too.
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am normally an anxious person but immediately after birth my anxiety was unmanageable.  My doc prescribed a small dose of Xanax and then switched me to 10mg Lexapro.  It has helped tremendously.  My DD has severe reflux + protein allergy which combine for a pretty cranky baby.  In addition, both of dogs have been really sick.  Without being on the Lexapro, I think I would have really had a meltdown.  This is the first time I've ever taken a medication for anxiety/depression and I have to say it's been all positive.  The one small drawback is in an increase in appetite (which is actually not a big deal because before the meds I would forget to eat). I was concerned about a decrease in libido, but that hasn't happened.  I think I am so happy to just feel "normal" that my sex drive might have actually increased.  I wish you all the best. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started taking Lexapro back in the summer of 2008 for anxiety/depression.  I'm only on 10 mg.  It made a big difference and helped me so much.  I stopped taking it when I first got pregnant and was off it for my first 2 trimesters.  When I went to the doctor last Monday, I told my M/W that I could feel the depression/anxiety creeping back in and she immediately put me back on Lexapro, since it's on the "safe" list for pregnancy.  I have been taking 5 mg, cutting it in half, for the past week and as of last night am now back up to 10 mg.  I can already feel a difference.  She was worried about me developing PPD, and worst case post-partum psychosis, just with my history.  She wanted to nip it in the bud ASAP to try to curb anything more serious.  The only thing negative I can say about Lexapro is it does decrease your sex drive a little bit.  At least I think it does.  It might've been my birth control that had that effect on me.  :P  I definitely recommend Lexapro and will continue taking it for my well-being.  Good luck and feel better!  Getting medication really is an easy way to jumpstart feeling wonderful again.  It's amazing what a little pill can do. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm a lurker, but before I was preg, I was on Lexapro.  I loved it.  It really helped me out of a dark place.  I did gain alittle weight with it, mainly b/c I was hungry alot and couldn't say no to food-but it was truly wroth it to me.  It only took about a week and 1/2 for me to start feeling better and stop crying every day.  I was pretty depressed and anxious and it helped.  Good luck!

Come on Sticky baby!!
    EDD 6/30/2016
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

EDD: 2/26/11  BORN: 2/15/2011

EDD: 2/23/2014  M/C 6/18/2013
    EDD 6/25/2014  M/C 11/8/2013
    M/C 4/20/2014
    M/C 6/22/2014

Our Z
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Check out my Blog:
    http://gomommy-meandmyboys.blogspot.com/

• Options
    I took Lexapro and got off of it because it made me so emotional and i actually felt more depressed on it. Every person is different with medication so this may not be the case for. Just sharing my experience!
    ~Liz~ "With your very first breath, you instantly took ours away..." Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"