Postpartum Depression

Weight gain as a side effects of Lexapro?

Just started taking 10mg of Lexapro last week.  I haven't had a lot of side effects but I keep reading about weight gain.  I'm trying to get the baby weight off not put more on.  Has anyone had this side effect?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Weight gain as a side effects of Lexapro?

• It will take more than a week of you being on it for you to see any side effects. 10mg isn't that much so you may not see any side effects at all. Everybody is different and every antidepressant is different. The only one that I've heard of actually making you gain weight is Paxil. Everybody on it complains about it but when I was on it my weight didn't change. Also on Wellbutrin I've lost alot of weight but my friend who was on it gained 15lbs.

So you really won't know unless you stick to it for awhile and find out. But if you do start to gain, you can always switch to another one.

• I've been Lexapro for 4 weeks.  I have noticed an increase in appetite.  With that though, I have a big increase in energy so I've been working out harder and longer.  All in all, the Lexpro has been a blessing...
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been taking Lexapro for around 3 years and haven't gained weight from it.  Maybe just a pound or two.  I am also on 10mg, but I doubt that has anything to do with the meds.  I read all that stuff, too, about the side effects and about all the weight gain.  I remember laying on my bed bawling my eyes out because I didn't want to take it.  I was SO fearful that I would turn into a blimp, based on everything I had read.  But all in all, it's a great medication and I'm glad I'm taking it!  I wouldn't worry about it...everyone's body reacts differently and with being on such a low dosage, I think you'll be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was on lexapro for about 3 months but had to quit taking it due to it causing my blood pressure to drop dramatically. It caused me to pass out at work and while driving. it was horrible! Anyway, I didn't have any problems with weight gain though. from my experience and observation weight gain/weight loss seems to reflect your habits. If you turn to or away from food to cope with your depression/anxiety then you become more susceptible to weight problems with the addition of the medicine.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    I Bump from my phone 90% of the time, with a baby in my lap, so please excuse my bad format and poor spelling and/or punctuation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"