Minnesota Babies
Options

S/O Measles... **Update**

Does anyone know if in a case like this, where there is an active risk of infection to a disease that is preventable with a vaccine, will they allow vaccinations a couple of months early?  Just wondering if it's worth while to call the pedi about it?

ETA:  I just heard back from my peditrician's office (Fairview Children's Clinic - Minneapolis,) they said that the MN Dept of Health and/or the CDC have not changed the vaccination guidelines *yet*.  Depending on how widespread this becomes, they may change the guidelines to advise vaccination at 6 months.  Until that time, they are unable to give a vaccination early. 

I asked how concerned we should be and how careful we should be.  She advised that measles is airborne and extremely contagious.  The period of time a child is contagious is about a week before showing symptoms and for a week afterward.  The children we are seeing with confirmed cases now, may have transmitted to children who are not symptomatic yet.  Because of that we have been advised to stay out of indoor public places until we know how widespread this outbreak is going to become.  As far as how serious the illness can become - of course it varies.  She said that it can be as mild as a cold with complications only being an ear infection, or as serious as pneumonia with permanent brain damage.  Here's the link to the info on the MN Dept of Health Website.

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
The Bump MoM Recipe Collection

Re: S/O Measles... **Update**

• Options
    I've got a call into my pedi office to see if they will vaccinate early under these circumstances, and if not, what they advise for children under 1.  I'll post here what their response is when I get a call back in case anyone else is interested.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemrs.raz:
    Thanks for the info!

Happy to help!

• Options

I am a PNP and so far have not heard yet of recommendations to give the MMR early. The CDC vaccination schedule says the minimum age is 12 months, and that the 2nd dose may be given before age 4 as long as 4 weeks has elapsed since the first dose. (site: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/0-6yrs-schedule-pr.pdf)

The MN Dept of Health is also recommending that all Hennepin County residents and Somalis living the the metro area follow the minimum age and minimum interval for MMR administration. Call your provider for questions.  (https://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/diseases/measles/)

And as far as staying out of indoor public places? I think that is kind of impossible these days. We need to use common sense. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"