Pregnant after IF

Ricotta cheese?

So, I'm making manicotti for dinner. I'm stuffing it and I look at the ricotta container and notice that in the ingredients it doesn't say "pasteurized milk" it just says milk...but then mozzarella cheese does say pasteurized. So, I know you can eat ricotta while PG, but should is it ok even if it doesn't say pasteurized? Since it's baking? Thoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ricotta cheese?

• Hmmm....I thought all cheese/cheese products that were sold in the US were pasteurized?  I could be totally wrong though.  Is it the container of ricotta that you buy in the dairy section of the grocery store?  If so, I think you totally fine.  But of course this is my uneducated opinion.
  • imageDrVWife:
    Hmmm....I thought all cheese/cheese products that were sold in the US were pasteurized?  I could be totally wrong though.  Is it the container of ricotta that you buy in the dairy section of the grocery store?  If so, I think you totally fine.  But of course this is my uneducated opinion.

Yes, it's from A&P and it's the America's choice brand. I would assume it would be pasteurized but the same brand of mozz cheese specifies 'pasteurized'. I dont know what to do :( We're eating in like 10 minutes... 

• Loading the player...
  • The concern with soft cheese is with listeria, which is killed off when it's cooked, so as long as you are cooking the cheese you are good to go!!!  Enjoy!!
  • having the ingredient list say they used "pasteurized milk" doesnt mean the whole product is pasteurized. When it comes to cheeses its hard to tell, I have the hardest time with it!
  • imageDrVWife:
    Hmmm....I thought all cheese/cheese products that were sold in the US were pasteurized?  I could be totally wrong though.  Is it the container of ricotta that you buy in the dairy section of the grocery store?  If so, I think you totally fine.  But of course this is my uneducated opinion.

Not at all unfortunately. Blue cheeses, gorgonzola and feta are almost never pasteurized. My OB told me specifically not to eat blue cheese or gorgonzola and to be VERY careful of feta.

• I am sure it's fine.  Eat it!

I never once came across any soft cheese that wasn't pasteurized.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I made a huge pan of lasagna a couple weeks ago. I would asume because the worry is a bacteria that would be killed if cooked you would be fine. I've heard the same with cold cuts. If you cook them they are fine too! I would enjoy it!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • As long as it's cook it's fine.

About 90% of the cheeses sold in the US are safe to eat.  This includes most soft cheeses.  I eat feta, blue cheese, gorgonzola, brie, etc.  I buy them in the grocery store and they all specifically say they are pasteurized.  The only time I have a problem with cheeses is at a store that sells high end specialty cheeses, most of them are not pasteurized.  Usually the more specialized/expensive the cheese section the more likely they aren't pasteurized. 

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! I decided to eat it. I realized that there is no way A&P store brand ricotta would be unpasteurized...I mean, that would just be a little crazy..and even in the off chance it was, like many of you said, it's cooked so it would be fine.

And you know what, it was might darn good ;)

Thanks ladies for listening to my panic mode! 

• Yes, ricotta cheese is safe to eat. I had cravings for cannolis and got the ok. Enjoy!!!
  • imagekaterena:
    The concern with soft cheese is with listeria, which is killed off when it's cooked, so as long as you are cooking the cheese you are good to go!!!  Enjoy!!
    This :) And send me your leftovers.
  • I think if you're cooking it, it's fine.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"