3rd Trimester
Options

Becoming sick right before going into labor?!

I've heard from many members of my family and friends that almost all of them became sick in some way just a few days before they went into labor. For some it seemed like a cold, and others a stomach virus so I wanted to see what people on here thought. Has anyone else heard this? Or better yet, has anyone else been sick right before they went into labor?

Right now I'm 32 weeks and starting to get really sick. I've had a fever, sore throat, coughing fits, etc, and no medicine seems to be working. Obviously I want my little one to be out already so I can meet her, just not yet! Not only is she probably not ready yet (my doctor said my due date may be off by up to a month, so maybe she is?!) but my baby shower isn't until next weekend and I don't have almost anything yet!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Becoming sick right before going into labor?!

• Options
    With DS #1 I had the worse diarrhea for a day.....it happened like 3 days before I went into labor. I have heard this is a natural way for your body to cleanse itself to get ready for labor.  Other than that I was fine. 
  • Options

You can get the flu or cold during pregnancy and it isn't related to labor at all.

I wouldn't worry!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was not sick during the entire pregnancy with DD#1.  So I am pretty sure that it's an OWT.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Your more likely to catch a cold when your pregnant because your immune system isn't as strong... I have never heard of a cold or cough being a sign of labor... but maybe feeling like you have a stomach bug is a possibility.  I wouldn't be too worried about it....  it's that time of year, seasons changing... colds are going to happen.
  • Options
    I had the actual stomach flu before I got sick (not labor pains/cleaning out or dh was also preparing for labor).  I went to bed sick on Monday and continually threw up/ had diarrhea until Wednesday.  I was exhausted on Thursday and skipped work, but went to parent teacher conferences that night (I'm a teacher).  I went to our inservice on Friday and felt off, and my water broke Friday night. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagePhillychickadee:

You can get the flu or cold during pregnancy and it isn't related to labor at all.

I wouldn't worry!

It sounds like this is what you have.

FTR,the day before DS was born, I didn'feel good, but it was a "stomach virus" type didn't feel good.  Cleaned me all out for DS's birth. ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I do remember reading somewhere reliable (although now of course I don't remember where) that diarrhea cramps can trigger uterine cramps, and if you're close to your due date anyway, that might be enough to set off labor. So I don't know that being sick is necessarily a sign of being close to labor, but if you're close anyway then the stomach flu might be a trigger. If you don't have any risk factors for PTL then I wouldn't worry about it at 32 weeks, though. What would concern me more is that your doctor says your EDD could be off by a month! Did you find out about the pregnancy late or did they not do any early dating ultrasounds? Knowing your EDD can be very important in case you go over... Hopefully they'll monitor you and the baby closely later on.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    I caught strep 2 days before my induction. It sucked, I survived. You are not about to go into labor because you are sick. They are totally unrelated. 
  • Options

I havent had any personal experience yet, but at my childbirth class the L&D nurse told us that many women get sick right before labor--but it's the clear out your tummy kind of sick, not like a cold. 

Hope you feel better! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"