VBAC

WDYT?

I have a friend who is a little over 36 weeks pregnant with her 2nd child (a boy) and she currently has her c/s scheduled for 39 weeks. She has a history of large babies, her last baby (a girl) was born via c/s after 20 hours of labor and was found to weigh over 10 lbs. Also, based on measuring her fundal height, at her 36 week appt she was already measuring 41 weeks. She is a very petite small-framed person, although I have heard that the mother's size is not necessarily indicative of whether she can deliver large babies.

My question is, would you recommend she attempt to VBAC? 

Edited to add:

I guess I should have phrased my question differently. I don't plan on advising her one way or the other, it's her decision. She did consider VBAC when he wasn't measuring as large but I'm just curious to know what others think. If you were in this position would you still attempt to VBAC? 

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~

Re: WDYT?

• I would never personally recommend a vbac or a repeat c-section.  It's a decision she can make with her doctor.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would support and encourage her with her decision, whether it be attempt VBAC or RCS. I don't think it would be my place to talk her into (or out of) one or the other.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCeefome:
    I would support and encourage her with her decision, whether it be attempt VBAC or RCS. I don't think it would be my place to talk her into (or out of) one or the other.
    This is the approach I'd take. Has she mentioned wanting a VBAC? My guess is that if you haven't heard by 36 weeks, she is comfortable with a RCS. It wouldn't probably be my choice, but we are all entitled to our own decisions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It sounds to me like her decision is made.
  • edited original post
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Based on your edit- if I were in that position, I would still attempt the VBAC.  My first was over 10 lbs and my VBAC baby was only 8.5.  I, too, agree that baby size does not determine if you can birth said baby.  That said, I'd support any decision she made that she is comfortable with.  If she is NOT comfortable with this decision, I'd encourage her to bring it up with her doctor.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • The way I see it, women have been birthing big babies for a long time... no reason her VBAC wouldn't work just because of size.  I'd probably be more nervous about my success if I were her, but I'd probably still try.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My personal decision in her shoes would depend on how that 20 hours of labor went and if I thought that size was absolutely the issue that time. If I was convinced that it was indeed necessary because of the size of the baby, then I'd probably schedule the RCS. I know that's probably not a popular opinion here, but *shrug* I tried for a VBAC because I thought my chances of success were very high. I am more scared of a labor + c/s than I am of a scheduled c/s, so if I didn't think my chances were good, I wouldn't do it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"