Houston Babies

Moms of 3-6 year olds, a question

How old is your child, and what is their bedtime?  How long have they had this particular bedtime, and when do you plan on pushing it later?  Do you go by their age, or do you just judge when they generally get tired, or a little of both? 

Re: Moms of 3-6 year olds, a question

• DD just turned 3 and she goes to bed at 8:00. We just switched it from 7:00 a couple months ago because she was waking up super early (like 5:30-6:00). She now sleeps until anytime between 7:00-8:30. It's awesome.

ETA: Reading G-Love's post reminded me, Natalie also dropped her nap right at her 2nd birthday. Every once in a while (like maybe once every 6 weeks?) she'll fall asleep in the car and I can get her to the couch...but that doesn't affect her bedtime or wake up time the next day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Belle will be 4 in May.

daddy gets home around 6-6:30 at night.  so we start bedtime routine around 7:30-8.  she's usualy asleep by 8:15-45. and she gets up anytime from 7-8 in the morning. she hasn't napped since 2 days before she turned 2.

this summer, we were thinking of pushing the sleep back to 8:30 or 9ish, to get the most of the daylight but we'll see how that works as we go along.

big sister, little brother
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersbr> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • O is 4.  His bedtime is 7:00 but he'd probably be even happier with 6:30.  We just can't seem to get him to bed that early.  We both work so the kids have a wake up time of 6:00 - 6:30 and O needs around 12 hours of sleep.  When he still took a nap his bed time was closer to 8:00.
  • Mine are 4 and 2.5 and they both go to bed at 8.  Not sure exactly when they fall asleep but they are in bed between 8 and 8:30 depending on the day.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Addie is 4. We start bedtime stuff around 730-7:45 (depending on if it's a bath night). By the end of reading a book and chatting it's close to 8:15 or 8:30. She sits in bed talking to herself and winding down. Sometimes she doesn't fall asleep for another hour or more, but she's not bothered being in there by herself in the dark. We play with bedtimes, we tried 8:30 and she was getting super cranky and pissy during bedtime stuff. If we're doing something with friends or neighbors she'll sometimes stay up later and she's ok, but if it's a regular thing she's difficult so we went back to earlier time most nights.

She still naps 2-3 hours a day, usually from about 3-5 or 6. She's never had a problem waking up and going back to bed and hour or two later (just like her mother!). I figure the next kid will be a non sleeper and go days without a wink since Addie's been so good about it.

-Clare
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Around 8:30. We try for 8 but somehow it just never happens. If she's feeling rundown (like yesterday) then 7:30 or even earlier.

I think a lot of this depends on how early you need them to get up the next day. If you are going to work and daycare, then 6am is a great time for the kids to get up. If you're staying home then 6am is a killer and I'd rather them sleep until 8. And then some kids, like mine, seem to wake up at the same time no matter what - which right now is 7am (and that's only because of daylight savings, they used to both wake up at 6am).

- Jena
  • Luca is 3 and Lila is almost 2. They both go to bed 8-8:30.  We start bath around 7:30..  Lila still naps about 1-1.5 hours, but Luca doesn't.  They both wake between 7 and 8. 
  • Thanks for the feedback!

We regularly see families with young children out and about as late as 8:30 or 9:00 pm.  And when it has come up, I've had a couple of moms act surprised that our kids go to bed at 8:00, because they see that as early. 7:30 was their bedtime for the longest time, but I felt they were still pretty revved up at that time, so I slowly started moving it back.  It seems to be working pretty well, but Sam still occasionally will sit in there reading for an hour or so, and getting up periodically to ask for water, ask me to make his stuffed tiger talk to him, etc.  It doesn't happen every day though, so I'm not sure if we really need to move his time back any more. I guess we'll stick with 8 for a while and see how it goes.

• Kamryn (3.5 years old) - Awake at 6:30 (weekdays) and 7:30 (weekends).  Bedtime is 7:30 (week days) and around 8:30 (weekends).

Kohen (will be 5 in May) - Awake at 6:30 (weekdays) and 8:00 or later (weekends).  Bedtime is 8:00 (weekdays) and 9:00 or later (weekends).

When they start getting up earlier on the weekends, then I can tell I need to let them stay up later.  They both still take 1.5-2 hour naps everyday.  Even weekends.

• Emmy and Hannah are the EXACT same age =)

Her bedtime is at 8pm.  This is because I have to wake her up at 6:15am to take her to my mom's.  On the weekends (Friday and Sat), I let her go to bed at 8:30 (sometimes 8:45).  Once in a blue moon when we have an event and are out, then sometimes we don't get home until 10pm or so (but this is maybe 4-6 times an entire year). 

When she was younger like Ally now (15 months) her bedtime was at 7pm.  And then around 2, her bedtime was around 7:30 pm (it was because I could tell that 7pm was just too early for her and she wasn't falling asleep right away).  Then it eventually got moved to 8.  So far 8 is the right time.  There are nights that she's still not sleep yet and will walk out at 9pm wanting water (but that only happens maybe twice a month). 

I really don't see her bedtime changing too much when she gets older because she would still need to sleep early for school.  So the latest I would have her go to sleep is 8:30pm and maybe on the weekends when she gets older...let her stay up to 9-9:30.

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Abbie is 6 1/2 and her bedtime is between 7:30-7:45 on weekdays.  She wakes up at 6:20am for school and runs pretty hard all day so we try to get her into bed early.

On the weekends she stays up until usually 8:30-9pm but still wakes up between 7-7:30.  Even if we keep her up later she still wakes up at the same time so we keep in kind of early to make sure she gets enough rest.

Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • On school nights, 7:30-8 for both S & K, since they get up between 5:45 and 6 every morning.  On weekends, Sam stays on schedule and sleeps at least 11 hours... Kaitlyn goes to bed sometimes even as late as 10 on days we don't have a set time they need to be up. 
    ~*~Jenn~*~
  • imagecharlotteL:
    Mine are 4 and 2.5 and they both go to bed at 8.  Not sure exactly when they fall asleep but they are in bed between 8 and 8:30 depending on the day.

This 

Crazy Christmas Kids!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD is 4 and her bedtime is about 9:00.  She doesn't get up until 7 a.m.

When she starts Kindergarten she will have to get up at 6:45.  If they don't have naps she will be in bed by 8:00.  8:30 if they do have naps.

Maddie has always been late to rise/late to bed.

I judge based on how tired she seems.  She couldn't go to sleep until 10 last night and it was obvious this morning.  So we discussed this morning that we'll both be going to bed early tonight so we feel better when we wake up tomorrow.

"If you can't say something nice, shut the hell up!"
    - Paula Deen to 104.1 KRBE's Producer Eric 9/17/2011
  • Well I did a little experiment.  I moved both kids' back to 8:15-8:30ish.  They don't have to be up until 7, and Sam was waking up right around 7 and Hannah had to be dragged out of bed.  She's also been a bit crankier than usual.

So for now, we're moving Hannah back to 7:30 and keeping Sam at 8:30.  He's been falling asleep much more easily.  We'll see how it goes!

Thanks for the input everyone! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"