October 2011 Moms
Options

I'm finally quitting my job!

After 12 weeks of first trimester agony and many missed days of work,  I've decided to submit my formal letter of resignation.  I'm a teacher and I just can't keep up with the workload, the energy of the children, and the long days (our school day is 7-4).  The nausea, fatigue, and general crankiness just got to be too much.  Without my job in the way, I suddenly feel a huge sense of relief and like I can finally start taking care of my body and my growing baby.  I've wanted to be a mama for so long and having to deal with a job I didn't like felt like it was killing me.  I'm now officially a stay-at-home mom in-training.

Re: I'm finally quitting my job!

• Options

A lot of ladies are going to hate you out of jealousy after that post and I'm one of them! :)

In all seriousness, congrats to you, that is fabulous news. Enjoy your new freedom!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am green with envy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You don't need to give 2 months notice where you teach? I totally understand. I am a teacher too but have been home since June with DD due to getting laid-off. I think I would have quit too if I were working right now, I feel so horrible. Teaching is soooo demanding I can't imagine doing it right now. I think you did the right thing and will enjoy your pregnancy from now on!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am not usually one to be rude but are you kidding me?!?  Quitting your job because the first trimester of pregnancy is hard.  Am I the only one who thinks this is completely ridiculous?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Congrats! I'm envious. I assume you weren't all that happy at your job before, anyway? I would quit my job in a heartbeat if I could.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

I quit my job after I found out I was pregnant as well!  Completely unhappy in it and after getting a really bad stomach flu for 5 days finally made the decision.  It is like a huge relief and I'm looking forward to being a stay at home mom.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagestace13:

I am not usually one to be rude but are you kidding me?!?  Quitting your job because the first trimester of pregnancy is hard.  Am I the only one who thinks this is completely ridiculous?

I'm thinking this is MUD.  According to my ticker I'm due 10/1 and I'm not even 12 weeks yet, which would mean anyone over 12 weeks is definitely not due in October.

• Options
    imagefraglette:
    imagestace13:

I'm thinking this is MUD.  According to my ticker I'm due 10/1 and I'm not even 12 weeks yet, which would mean anyone over 12 weeks is definitely not due in October.

I agree that is a little suspicious.  But all the support?!?

• Options
    imagestace13:

Glad someone said it. 

• Options
    I'm an at-will employee at a charter school.  At my old school, where I was unionized, I did have to give 2 months notice.  At this school, I can be fired at a moment's notice and quit at a moment's notice.  Teaching is so demanding and it doesn't pay enough to make it worth it to suffer through.  Congrats on your baby - staying home with her must be wonderful!
  • Options
    vitanvitan member
    imagefraglette:
    imagestace13:

I was wondering the same thing. I was like uhhhhhh......

Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 - 11/16/10 CP 12/1/10
    Our team green turned into team pink! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 17dpo - 47, 19dpo - 114 Chart
  • Options
    imageVitan:
    imagefraglette:
    imagestace13:

I was wondering the same thing. I was like uhhhhhh......

Okay, so I'm in week 12, not past week 12.  I'm due 10/2 - that would make me an October mama.  To the Original Poster I'm quoting above - I'm sorry you think my choices are ridiculous and I wish that my first trimester had gone a bit easier, but I'm really just not that tough.  My mind is on my baby and not working right now.  I'm glad that I have a supportive husband and family around me to support my decisions that I feel are best for my growing family.

• Options
    imageMamaAnnabird:

Okay, I'm in week 12.  I'll be 12 weeks on Saturday.  I'm due 10/2.  But the doctor has already speculated I'll go late, so it definitely won't be September.  And to the poster above: it's wonderful for you that your first trimester has been easy.  Unfortunately, mine has not been easy at all especially when coupled with my commute and long hours teaching without so much as a bathroom break.  I guess I wish I were a tougher broad!  I'm glad to have a husband and family around me that support my decision and what's best for my growing family. 

Never claimed it was easy.  I feel sick about 20 hours a day, vomit regularly, and am exhausted 1 hour after I wake up.  Yet I still manage to work 80+ hours per week that includes 30 hour shifts every 5th night that generally involve no sleep.  I guess I think of it as my responsibility and I have some accountability for what I do.  Not to mention respect for my colleagues and those working hard around me.

• Options

If I quit my (teaching job) right now, the district OR the state could pull my certification for the next 18 months.

I'm thinking MUD...but WTH? I feel like death warmed over most days, fall asleep by 2:00 if I'm not actively teaching...but I'd never quit. I truly LOVE my job...not to mention the fact that I get the benefits for our family!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    While I stand by my original reply of being green with envy, I also had a chuckle at how this was her second post. *side eye*
  • Options
    imagestace13:

Yep I'm thinking the same thing.  But maybe it's out of jealousy. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelindylogana:
    imagestace13:

I would maybe claim jealousy...except I've been a stay at home mom since I was 8mths pregnant with DD. I still claim MUD. 

• Options
    Congratulations to you! :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    Good for you I'm totally jealous!  I want to leave so bad but DH keeps saying to just stick it out longer because it's a good distraction until I'm farther along.  Have fun relaxing!!
    ?DD 9/17/10 22wks I carry you in my heart.?
    bfp#2 2/14/11? cerclage placed at 13 weeks
    ?DS 9/29/11 36 wks 3 days 8lb 20 1/4" ?
    bfp#3 12/15/12 CP 12/27/12
    bfp#4 2/25/13
    beta#1 51 beta#2 163 beta#3 1,370
  • Options
    imageAshleyEric609:
    imagelindylogana:
    imagestace13:

I would maybe claim jealousy...except I've been a stay at home mom since I was 8mths pregnant with DD. I still claim MUD. 

Basically this only I know I'm not jealous lol. OP do you park in the expectant mother parking spots already too?
  • Options

imagecantalopes24:

Basically this only I know I'm not jealous lol. OP do you park in the expectant mother parking spots already too?

LOL...  I have to admit, I did this once.  I went to Best Buy to pick something up, parked in a spot, didn't realize it was for expectant mothers until I had the key out of the ignition.  At that point, I said, WTH...  And went with it.  

I laughed at myself.

• Options
    imageLauriJean_2009:

imagecantalopes24:

LOL...  I have to admit, I did this once.  I went to Best Buy to pick something up, parked in a spot, didn't realize it was for expectant mothers until I had the key out of the ignition.  At that point, I said, WTH...  And went with it.  

I laughed at myself.

I totally parked at the expectant mother spot when I had to get a Babies R Us gift a few weeks ago. This actually is probably a good FFFC. In my defense, it was like 2:30 pm on a Tuesday, and there were about 5 more expectant mother spots open, so I was not denying a third trimester mommy her chance for optimal parking. Wink

• Options

I work 12 hour shifts as a police officer. Physically demanding, scary, and stressful. I worked the road until LAST week. That meant, I was still running after the bad guys, driving at 100 mph to emergencies, and pulling over to puke when I needed to. Just recently they finally were able to put me in the office.

I hardly believe any teaching job is THAT demanding.  And, btw... if you're entering into second tri, that is when you actually feel the best. 

• Options

This whole post is totally ridic.

OP, if you think 1st tri is hard, wait till you have an outside baby, and you can't always run away from things when they get tough. But whateva. You made your choice.  I'd offer you a cookie, but my computer won't let me PIP :(

July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• Options
    I wish I had a job to have that option, I'm a displaced teacher and avidly looking for a job and getting worried about starting to show when I get interviews and how that will be taken. Teaching jobs are obsolete here unfortunately and I don't see an office position really being offered when they know I'll be taking off in October. But as far as the teaching goes, it is the most demanding job I've ever held, I worked at an inner city school, and when we left school for the day we weren't finished working, most of my days were 12+ hours a day. I honestly don't know how I would have handled the past few weeks having to work, but I really wish I had had the chance to find out.
  • Options

Ummmm really???  I teach and I love my job.  I can not imagine quitting because I am pregnant!  You are pregnant not disabled woman!!

About the cop job being demanding....I am sure it is very.  Seriously though, you do not understand how demanding teaching is these days unless you are actually in the trenches.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageteaching1:

Ummmm really???  I teach and I love my job.  I can not imagine quitting because I am pregnant!  You are pregnant not disabled woman!!

About the cop job being demanding....I am sure it is very.  Seriously though, you do not understand how demanding teaching is these days unless you are actually in the trenches.

No, you're right... I was just pissy and over reacted. My best friend was a kindergarten teacher and she worked her entire pregnancy. I thought there were days that she wasn't going to make it. 

• Options
    imagestace13:

Nope, I agree. Lame.

• Options
    imagealison2379:
    imageLauriJean_2009:

imagecantalopes24:

I laughed at myself.

I totally parked at the expectant mother spot when I had to get a Babies R Us gift a few weeks ago. This actually is probably a good FFFC. In my defense, it was like 2:30 pm on a Tuesday, and there were about 5 more expectant mother spots open, so I was not denying a third trimester mommy her chance for optimal parking. Wink

Oh the horror Alison! What if 6 SAHM in training showed up? Where would they have parked!
  • Options
    YAY!!! Congratulations!! I have officially 25 more work days and then I am taking a two year extended leave of absence but in reality, I am not going back :)  MW is a teacher and so we decided I would quit early (I was planning on doing so once the baby was born) so we can spend the summer together.  My job is great but there is no upward mobility so there is no need to be pushing 7 years.  I am going back to school once the baby is a few years old and finally finishing my masters in ed.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

While I highly respect your profession and what you do, and I know it is grueling work, physically and mentally and dangerous, teaching is challenging in many ways too, mostly mentally. 

Teachers have a lot of pressure on them.  Just listen to the news in any state and we are usually being bad mouthed for this or that.  There is usually very little positive news about teachers.  The pressure to "cover" all the standards and have every student, no matter their home environment, pass a standardized test, is a lot of pressure.  If our pay is based on it, it's even more pressure.  In some cases, our job is on the line too.

• Options
    Good for you!  You are very fortunate that your family can afford this life changing decision!  Enjoy every minute!
  • Options
    I am just now hitting my second trimester( week 14 and four days along) and I came to the conclusion that i have to quite my teaching job this school year. Yes, I know- how dare I quite in the first trimester- some would say but remember you don't know every persons situation. I am struggling with M.S. and Trigiminal Neuralgia along with a horrible case of PTSD. (you try to go to work and graduate school with all these conditions!)I love my job and I have cried all  week long at the idea of leaving the children and my co-workers. I happen to have a wonderful job but I simply cannot do it anymore. Cramping in my lower stomach, crying spells, super tired and constipated, my sight is struggling and I'm avoiding an painful attach because I cannot take any pain medication. I really appreciate the support my family have given me but a bit disappointed in what "Other" woman's opinions on MY JOB, MY BODY, MY TWINS. My cousin confronted me on this topic late week- She couldn't believe i had the nerve to quite in the first trimester  so i calmly look into her eyes and said: If you would kindly take my Multiple Sclerosis?  or my Trigiminal Neuralgia? Be careful not to judge.Hopefully I can find positive support. I hope to return to work some day but  I know that the job I'm about to undertake is much harder, and more satisfying- I'll be taking care of my children! I'm still crying because of my own heartbreak but I have to always remember to follow my intuition and not judge other peoples choices. For those who cannot quit your jobs- i'm sorry to hear that it must be so scary. My husband and I are by not means well off and struggle every month but God will get us by...i hope it all works out for each woman on this sight and each individual choice that is made. 
  • Options
    I'm very confused. How did this end up here...? I was all excited that something had 35 replies!

Lil' P Est. Oct '2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here we grow again!
    ETA: August 14, 2014
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I thought maybe she came back to update us, two years later... you know, like a "where are they now" type of thing.
    Bummer :(

BFP #1: 3/4/2011 ~ EDD 11/14/2011 ~ DD Born 10/26/2011
    BFP #2: 10/12/2013 ~ EDD 6/23/2014 ~ Natural MC 10/28/2013 @ 6wk
    BFP #3: 6/4/2014 ~ EDD 2/13/2015 ~ b-HCG dropped 6/18/2014, Natural MC 6/20/2014 @ 6wk

• Options
    Lol
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"