Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Diaper pail - is it worth it?

Will a regular garbage can with a lid work just as well or are the diaper pails like Diaper Genie, worth it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Diaper pail - is it worth it?

• Options
    I had a Diaper Genie II and thought it was worth it.  I didn't notice any smell, stuffed it crazy full, and I think in the 2 years that I used it, I only really bought perhaps 5 refills.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's necessary.  We have the Diaper Dekor, and it really never smelled unless it was very full.  We are still using it and it's great.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We didn't buy one. We use paper bags with the dirty ones and put them in a larger bag in the garage. I don't think its worth it. Therefore I didn't buy one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    I was wondering the same thing.  What about the Arm & Hammer diaper pail?  Has anyone used this one?
  • Options

I say it's not necessary.  We got a small steel step can, and we find it super-easy to use.  We live in a ranch-style house, so we have no stairs to go up and down, so emptying the diapers out every 2 days is not a problem.  We have no smell issues, either.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have the Diaper Genie II Elite & I love it. Very convenient & keeps the smell to a min. Although, we put poop diapers in separate plastic bags & put them out in the garbage can immediately.
  • Options
    Totally not needed..  spend the $$ on something more useful.  A regular garbage can with a lid works perfectly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it is! I babysit for friends' children (current ages 3, 2 & 9 mo. old) & trust me I don't want to deal w/ smelly diapers all the time when our LO arrives! out they go!
  • Options
    Check consignment sales and yard sales to pick one up for cheap.  Some disinfectant and some time in the sun and it will be plenty clean.  We got a diaper champ and it works pretty well.  We empty it every couple of days.
  • Options

I have the angelcare diaper disposal (which I believe in the US is sold as Diaper Genie II Elite) and is totally worthy!

we use it for all of DS's diapers (even the poopy ones) and empty it like every 10 days, it never smells!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    Diaper Champ Deluxe.....it's like a hybrid of a regular trash can and a diaper genie...no expensive refills required.
  • Options
    imagevansgirl68:
    Totally not needed..  spend the $$ on something more useful.  A regular garbage can with a lid works perfectly.
    This. I have been using a small open trash can and it works perfectly fine for us, I don't notice a smell. I am EBFing though and to the best of my knowledge the poo only smells horrible when the baby is formula feeding. We also bought the biodegradable diaper sacks to place the poo diapers in.... if they ever start to stink.
    Dating 7/25/03 Engaged 7/25/07 Married 11/10/09 L 3/11/11
    Married Bio

• Options
    I used one with our first two babies but have no desire to use one this time around whatsoever. Cleaning them out is so gross, it stinks really really badly! Also, you can just take it to the trash... for instance, if I change the diaper upstairs and it's dirty, not wet I will just set it on the ledge for when I go downstairs and put it in the little trash in the garage. My DH is great about emptying the little diaper trash in the garage and it's a lot cheaper to use a small bathroom type trash there with a walmart bag that we don't need anyway instead of wasting money on the diaper pail and refills. JMO... I would rather spend that money on more cute clothes and toys for our baby :) The wet diapers can go in a normal trash anyway, they don't stink.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I couldn't see spending $40+ on a Diaper Genie.  We got a step trash can and I use odor-blocking trash bags and an Arm & Hammer stick-up on the underside of the lid to reduce odours.  I empty it every 4-5 days.  The way I see it, dirty diapers are going to stink, no matter what.  At some point, you have to empty the can and clean it.  Just part of life...
  • Options

imagenikkid5:
    I was wondering the same thing.  What about the Arm & Hammer diaper pail?  Has anyone used this one?

Yes, we really like our Arm & Hammer diaper pail.  You basically just keep filling up the baking soda.  And we have to buy the special refill bags for the diaper pail. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"