Natural Birth

Bromelain Supplements

My midwife doesn't know anything about these so she can't give me any medical advice.  I just thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has asked their care provider about them.

FYI, bromelain is the enzyme found in pineapple (that "supposedly" might help induce labor, lol).

Everything I've found online says it has not been proven safe or unsafe during pregnancy so consult your care provider before taking.  I'm erring on the side of caution and will see if my OB knows anything about it on Monday.  Just thought I would check here, too!

My best friend, my husband, my everything
Matthew Kevin
7/31/83-7/20/11 image
Met 1/8/00
Engaged 4/21/06
Married 9/29/07
Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
Day Three

Re: Bromelain Supplements

• It's a food enzyme - unless eating the food is unsafe, its not going to be a problem.  I used a digestive enzyme from whole foods that had bromelain in it throughout my entire pregnancy.  In fact, that is the reason I use that particular digestive supplement - b/c bromelain is also a phenomenal anti-histamine and therefore decreases allergies, pregnancy related nasal swelling, and acid reflux.

During the last few weeks of my pregnancy (I went to 43 weeks) I started taking a straight bromelain supplement twice a day to help with induction.  the concept behind why it works is that it softens the cervix - and at 41 weeks I was no effaced or dilated at all and had a posterior cervix still.  You'd have to eat 7 whole pineapples in one sitting to get the therapeutic effect desired to induce, so that's why the bromelain supplement is recommended.

Between my 41 and 42 week appointment I effaced 50% and dilated to a fingertip - so perhaps it was helpful, but I was also taking EPO and Borage and getting acupuncture specific to dilating the cervix, so who knows.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks so much.  I was hoping to hear from you since that's where I got the idea. Stick out tongue  Well, I better start popping those supplements to see if it helps any before the weekend is over (my midwife needs surgery on Monday so I'd like to have Baby come before that, lol).

I think the only thing I read that made me nervous was hearing that it could cause uterine bleeding or something like that.

What dosage did you take?  Mine are 500mg.

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry I didn't get back sooner - it's much harder to type responses one handed now a days ;)

Mine are also 500mg.  I have never heard or read anything about uterine bleeding - if anything, since bromelain reduces cellular inflammation throughout the body, I would think it would have the opposite effect.  But then, as with any supplement - we all have to remember that these things should be treated with the same respect as OTC meds.  Meaning, they aren't candy, more is not better, always take the recommended dosage.

In order for the bromelain to work towards induction/cervical softening - it should be taken on an empty stomach.  Otherwise, since it is an enzyme, taking it with food will cause it to be "used up" towards the digestive process - if that makes sense.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"