Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Tanning while TTC

Hi just looking for your thoughts/opinions on using tanning beds while TTC? I have been holding off so far ( I know its horrible/ causes skin cancer etc.) I usually go once a week. I just makes me feel better about myself to have a little color. I of course would not go at all if I were pregnant but wondering if it hurts to tan while TTC? 

Re: Tanning while TTC

• Options
    Everything I have heard is that it is ok in moderation.  I was told it wouldn't hurt the baby because they are safely protected inside you--otherwise all your organs would get damaged if that was the case.  It is ultimately up to you, but if your DR says it's ok, I'd go for it!  It's a great relaxer and the Vitamin D is good!
  • Options
    The only thing I have heard is that it can decrease the amount of CM.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I found this article online. It talks mainly about pregnant women but I thought it might help you:

https://www.ehow.com/about_5317020_tanning-dangers-pregnant-trying-pregnant.html

EDD 12/2/2011 - BFP on 3/23/2011 imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In addition to the obvious things about tanning beds, I'd be worried about the heat.  It's almost bathing suit season here and I am considering a spray tan as an alternative.
  • Options

You know, Snooki, you really should lay off the tanning for a while. You're beginning to look as orange as an Oompa Loompa.  Wink

How about some spray tanning? Same result without the fake bake side effects.

• Options

I asked my OB/GYN about this recently because I actually have a prescription for tanning from my dermatologist. (Crazy, right?) He told me that tanning is completely safe when TTC and it's even safe during pregnancy, contrary to popular belief. According to him, the UV light in a tanning bed isn't strong enough to penetrate the top layer of the skin, which is why your tan fades after just a few days out of the sun (or, in my case, tanning bed). There's no way that the light rays could get to a developing embryo, much less harm it. USA tanning equipment is actually very highly regulated, so he says that the risk to the baby (or to TTC!) in a tanning bed is as minimal as standing in the kitchen when you're microwaving something.

He actually mentioned that there's more danger in spray tanning than in real UV light tanning because the chemicals in the spray stuff can penetrate the skin, and the consequences of absorbing those chemicals while pregnant could possibly be very severe.

For my own peace of mind, I've still decided to cut my tanning back to once a week while TTC, but according to my doctor, I could go as often as I wanted without any risk! (He did say, though, that if I continue to tan while pregnant, the heat can often exascerbate morning sickness, so he said to take it easy if I feel nauseated once I'm actually pregnant.)

Married 5/16/2010.
    Began TTC 12/1/2010.
    BFP #1: 2/2/11. EDD 10/11/11. Chemical Pregnancy 2/5/11.
    Dx PCOS 7/2011. Dx "Unexplained Infertility" 10/2011.
    BFP #2: 12/4/11. EDD 8/14/11. Missed Miscarriage found 1/11/12.
    BFP #3: 3/31/12. EDD 12/8/12. Carter Evan born 11/24/12.
  • Options
    I gave up tanning a couple years ago after my Grandpa was diagnosed with melanoma. However, my OB brought it up on her own during my pre-conception visit and said that although they don't recommend tanning due to cancer concerns, it is safe while TTC and while pregnant. She said it was not a problem until women are very far along and cannot lay flat on their back.
  • Options
    My dermatologist said that if you actively use tanning beds in your 20's, your risk of skin cancer doubles... So after having 6 very small and innocent looking moles/freckles removed, I stay out of tanning beds.
    BabyFruit Ticker

TTC 2.0
    Surprise BFP! Beta#1:37 Beta#2: 97

TTC 1.0
    IUI #1=BFN
    IUI #2=BFP! Beta#1:87 Beta #2:1050
    ~It's a GIRL!~
    Lily born 10/30/12

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."
  • Options

imageSParkman80:
    My dermatologist said that if you actively use tanning beds in your 20's, your risk of skin cancer doubles... So after having 6 very small and innocent looking moles/freckles removed, I stay out of tanning beds.

YIKES! That's a pretty strong increase.

My mother has a tanning bed. She uses it as treatment for her depression. I don't use it as much as I did when I lived at home. However, I have used it a few times since TTC. I do not use it while in the 2WW.  

• Options
    imagebrandywine2010:

imageSParkman80:

My mother has a tanning bed. She uses it as treatment for her depression. I don't use it as much as I did when I lived at home. However, I have used it a few times since TTC. I do not use it while in the 2WW.  

I was shocked when he told me this!! I tanned all through my 20's and late teens also. My boss has a tanning bed at 2 of his homes and I used to tan everyday for a few months until I found this out. If I need color I just use Fake Bake self spray and it doesn't look orange. 

BabyFruit Ticker

TTC 2.0
    Surprise BFP! Beta#1:37 Beta#2: 97

TTC 1.0
    IUI #1=BFN
    IUI #2=BFP! Beta#1:87 Beta #2:1050
    ~It's a GIRL!~
    Lily born 10/30/12

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."
  • Options
    imageSParkman80:
    imagebrandywine2010:

imageSParkman80:

I was shocked when he told me this!! I tanned all through my 20's and late teens also. My boss has a tanning bed at 2 of his homes and I used to tan everyday for a few months until I found this out. If I need color I just use Fake Bake self spray and it doesn't look orange. 

I use the Dove self tanner lotion. It works pretty good and it adjusts to your pigment. I am also a big fan of the good ol' sun, which is no better than the Fake Bake. Embarrassed 

• Options

I don't use tanning beds b/c of the danger of cancer. My dermatologist made sure I don't use tanning beds and that I wear sunscreen on a daily basis. I don't have any pre-existing condition or anything she was just informing me of the risks. If I had a dermatologist tell me to use a tanning bed, I would run for the hills!!!!

I'm really careful about the chemicals I put on my skin, including the type of cosmetics, soap, and shampoo I use. So I don't use lotions or bronzer either.

I agree, most people look better tanned and I do get tanned in the Spring and Summer with sunscreen. I would rather go a little pale then risk cancer. I already increase my risk of cancer by all the time I spend in an airplane.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • Options

imageSParkman80:

Yes!  My motto is : "pale is the new tan"

TTC #1 since 06/2010 
    Diagnosed with PCOS 6/2011, uterine septum resection 4/2012 
    After 4 miscarriages, Clomid and TI brought us our beautiful baby girl on 8/14/13! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

As a healthcare provider myself, I would advise AGAINST tanning while TTC or pregnant. Not only does it increase your risk for all types of skin cancers, the high heat in the tanning beds can be detrimental. I'd be stay on the safe side and go with sunless tanning or deal with being pale.

Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"