Cincinnati Babies
Options

Flying w/ an (almost) 4 month old

Any advice? I know this question has been asked multiple times, I should have paid attention.

When it comes to the carseat- I'm pretty sure he will still be in his pumpkin seat, hopefully, so can I just take that with me and check it before boarding the plane? What about the stroller, I always see strollers sitting outside the airplane door, do you have to do anything special for that? I'm wondering if I can just put him in his travel system all the way to the gate and then use one of those pink tags for both and get it once we land as soon as we come off the plane. Anything else I should know?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

Re: Flying w/ an (almost) 4 month old

• Options

Flying with a baby that young is easy. :) (It's the toddlers that are tough.) 

Take the stroller all the way to the gate. There you can ask the gate agent for a gate check tag. Then you leave the stroller at the end of the walkway outside the plane. You will pick it up when you deplane. As for the baby carrier, I am not sure if you can gate check with the stroller or not but I would imagine you could. If you can't you'll have to check it with your bags and just take the stroller to the gate. Enjoy your trip!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

That's correct.

When we flew, Fin was about 6 months but we already had him in a Convertible. We checked the convertible with the rest of our luggage and took the stroller from our travel system with us. I actually found it was easier to keep F in the Ergo, and use the stroller for all of our stuff!

Make sure you keep any baby food, formula, breast milk separate. They will need to check it, but you will be able to take it through no problem.

We checked the stroller at the gate with a pink tag, and we were able to board in one of the first groups because we had a baby. I nursed on take off and landing, and we didn't have many issues at all.

One more thing - pack an extra set of clothes in your carryon for LO and for YOU! I have seen many a blow out happen on a plane... once a little kid had to go back in his stroller after the flight in just a diaper and a blanket! And you don't want to be trying to clean baby poop off your clothes in that little tiny airplance bathroom :)

Welcome to the world Finley Michael - born 2/13/2010 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers pregnancy
    Baby Sister is coming soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Will you have a base for the carseat at your destination?  If not, you'll have to bring that as well.  You can check two baby items (as checked baggage) without having to pay...I think.  At least that was the way it was when I traveled with DD.  And you are correct, you can valet check your stroller right before you board so the only time you will be without it is when you are on the plane.  You check it right before you get on and get it right when you get off.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to valet check the whole travel system if that is what you decide to do.

When you check-in, ask if you can sit next to an empty seat so you can have some extra space.  They usually will accommodate that request unless of course, the flight is full.  You can ask again at the gate and then ask the flight attendants when you board.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have no advice (my parents flew with J to FL, but B and I drove). I just want to be nosey and ask where you are going. Business or pleasure? I like to live vicariously through everyone else. Stick out tongue
  • Options

Thanks for the tips! I would have never thought about bringing an extra change of clothes for myself, very very good advice :)

Also, I forgot about the carseat base but that is great news that they don't charge for up to 2 baby items.

T- I'm taking M to see my family in NY. Joe is staying here... no way he could miss opening day :) we are spending a week there, my family hasn't seen M since Christmas (3 weeks old) so we're excited!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    imageaddslove:

Will you have a base for the carseat at your destination?  If not, you'll have to bring that as well.  You can check two baby items (as checked baggage) without having to pay...I think.  At least that was the way it was when I traveled with DD.  And you are correct, you can valet check your stroller right before you board so the only time you will be without it is when you are on the plane.  You check it right before you get on and get it right when you get off.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to valet check the whole travel system if that is what you decide to do.

When you check-in, ask if you can sit next to an empty seat so you can have some extra space.  They usually will accommodate that request unless of course, the flight is full.  You can ask again at the gate and then ask the flight attendants when you board.

You actually don't have to take the base.  The infant seats are completely safe to use without the base and just put the seatbelt through the spot on the seat. I flew to DC with Ry when she was 1 month old and this is what we did.  Much less hassle.

• Options
    imageEmily2me:

T- I'm taking M to see my family in NY. Joe is staying here... no way he could miss opening day :) we are spending a week there, my family hasn't seen M since Christmas (3 weeks old) so we're excited!

Oh, how fun! I'm sure you miss them (and they miss you all) something fierce. Enjoy your time at home. That's too funny about Joe not wanting to miss opening day - so much like Brian. Wink

• Options
    imageDani3679:
    imageaddslove:

You actually don't have to take the base.  The infant seats are completely safe to use without the base and just put the seatbelt through the spot on the seat. I flew to DC with Ry when she was 1 month old and this is what we did.  Much less hassle.

Ditto. It's not necessary to take the base. The carriers are approved for use without them. Use the two baby item check-in allowance for something you WILL need like a PnP.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageDani3679:
    imageaddslove:

This

• Options
    imageDani3679:
    imageaddslove:

Hmm...interesting. Good to know!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"