D.C. Area Babies
Options

How often does your LO use your swing set?

For those with toddlers who have one of those big swing sets with swings, a slide, etc., do you use it much? We have a park that's about a 15 minute walk from us so we can always go there. But, I've been thinking that it may be nice for the kids to have a swing set in the backyard. However, I don't know if it's one of those things that you buy and never really end up using. Anyway, just curious as to whether you get a lot of enjoyment out of yours or not and whether it was worth the money.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How often does your LO use your swing set?

• Options

previous owners left theirs so we only cleaned it up a bit, didn't cost us much, DH put up a new tarp, ILs gave us a baby swing, DH put down new mulch, etc. We don't use it as much as we would if: #1: the backyard wasn't so muddy after all the rains; #2: the dogs didn't go out as much out back; #3: the kids (or just DD at this point) could be out there by themselves.

I think in the years ahead we'll get more use out of it, our backyard is fenced in so once the kids are old enough to play outback by themselves, I think we'll get a lot more use out of it. FWIW, I've seen these sets given away on freecycle.

When I was pg with DS, I had this blissful vision of taking him out back in his little carseat as a newborn while I pushed DD on the swing. Let me tell you how many times that happened - zero. Too damn hot (he was born in June) and other (don't remember what now!) reasons.

• Options
    imageSofka:

When I was pg with DS, I had this blissful vision of taking him out back in his little carseat as a newborn while I pushed DD on the swing. Let me tell you how many times that happened - zero. Too damn hot (he was born in June) and other (don't remember what now!) reasons.

LOL. I had to laugh about this because that was part of my vision this summer. I thought I can bring the newborn outside, have a drink, and that DD would happily play on the swing set and entertain herself for an hour. So, this is why I asked the question...because sometimes I know my visions can be a bit skewed Smile Plus, I don't think DD will really play much by herself at this age. She's much more of a people person and I'll probably have better luck taking her to the park where there may be other kids.

You bring up a good point about the mud too. We have a dog and at our last house, the entire backyard was stripped of grass not to mention the dog poop. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before that happens at this house.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have to supervise when DD climbs up the steps and she likes if when I catch her as she comes down the slide; honestly, I was so exhausted in those first few months of taking care of a newborn. And our backyard can be a poop mine, so I have to carry her to the playground, not something I can do while also carrying a newborn, especially after a c-s! Also, DD gets home from DCP around 4-4:15 (DH picks her up) and we do dinner at 5 and once she goes outside, it's so hard to get her to come in! And of course, DS was not exactly on schedule, chances are he was probably nursing or pooping during that time.

we have a little slide that we keep indoors too

a little pool would be nice but of course, that's even more dangerous b/c you have to keep an eye on her every.single.second

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"