Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Food cooked w/ alcohol

Does anyone know if it is ok?  I know usually most of the alcohol does get cooked out,but some of it is still in there.  I"m tlaking like beer brats, or chicken marsala, or other foods that use cooking wine, etc.

Re: Food cooked w/ alcohol

• Options
    completely fine. I even drank a glass of wine now & then.
  • Options
    Totally fine. The alcohol cooks off really quickly, so it shouldn't be an issue.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think it's going to hurt anything to eat food with alcohol in it.  most of it is cooked out and the little that's left isn't anymore than a full N/A beer.
  • Options
    I had ribs cooked with beer the other day and everything is good!
  • Options
    There is a chart (still trying to find it) that shows what percentage of the alcohol is cooked off with different cooking methods and cooking times.  If you are using a small quantity of alcohol in a big recipe you should be fine; otherwise it takes about 1 hour of cooking for ALL the alcohol to evaporate.
  • Options
    Your fine except you have now made me want chicken marsala.
  • Options
    If it's something they serve underage kids, it's alright for you too!  Alcohol has a really low burn temp so it goes quickly.  Just make sure what ever you're eating is fully cooked, alcohol or not, and you should be fine
    Baby H #1 born in January '09 after a M/C January '08 Baby H #2 born in May '11 Baby H #3 due April 17th 2013
  • Options

You're right it doesn't completely cook out despite what people say.  I've seen a chart somewhere indicating cooking times with various methods and the amount of alcohol left.

Beer brats I would have no problem with.  I boil them in beer and then grill them though.  Chicken marsala probably have that much wine in it to start.  It's definitely not like you are drinking a glass of wine.  In moderation, it's probably no problem.

I think it just depends what you are comfortable with.  I haven't drank while pregnant, even a sip.  Nor did I go out of my way to have something cooked with wine.  That's just my preference so I don't have to worry.  I'm not someone that feels like they are missing something by not having alcohol.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm sure it's fine. My friend had me over for dinner last night and had stew in the crockpot with beer and wine broth/gravy. She cooked it all day, so I am sure it all cooked off.
  • Options
    Totally fine. I always make a vodka sauce with about a cup of vodka but it mostly cooks down. Everything in moderation!
  • Options
    Good question, thanks for asking, I was wondering this myself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes, it is fine.  I have been eating my friend's penne with vodka sauce like it is my job through this whole pregnancy.  She cooks it all.day. long. so I know that all the alcohol is gone by the time I am stuffing my face Wink
  • Options

Mmm, now I want chicken marsala for dinner tonight!

The way I make it, there's only about one glass worth of wine in the whole recipe - which makes at least 4 servings.  So at MOST there'd be 1/4 glass per serving, but a lot of that cooks off too.  (Plus, being pg, I'd let the sauce simmer a bit longer than I normally would have.)  I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"