Birth Stories
Options

Bedrest and C/S Birth Story... took me 6 months to want to write (long sorry)

Normal 0 It's actually easier to read here.

(Edited to be a link)

Re: Bedrest and C/S Birth Story... took me 6 months to want to write (long sorry)

• Options

I also had a lot of emotions to work through following my C-Section with my son.  I am now expecting my second with full intention of having a VBAC.  I have learned to be my own advocate and have hired a midwife and doula this time around. 

Congratulations on your little man and good luck as you continue on this adventure we call motherhood.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the support and I'll be pulling for ya for your VBAC!  We definitely are better prepared to advocate for ourselves the next time around, I think!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You did a marvelous job getting your feeling across in your story. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that.  Makes me think I need to coach DH better this time around, because I know there could be a point where I just don't have it in me to speak up even though I would want/need to.  Thank you for sharing, and I'm glad to hear you have done some good healing and enjoy your little man!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am so sorry for what you went through. I would reach out to your local chapter of ICAN for support. Also, if you google a blog for The Feminist Breeder, she went through something similar, and had a successful VBAC, and is now expecting her third child, which will be a HBAC.
  • Options

Just wanted to say that feeling betrayed by your own body can happen with a c-section or a vaginal delivery.  Those same emotion that you felt for your c-section, I felt with my vaginal delivery.  I put on 60 lbs and was so swollen.  I pushed for 2 1/2 hrs only to have a forcep assisted delivery.  I tore everywhere, on both sides of the vaginal wall and had an episiotomy.  It took the Dr. 1 1/2 hours to stitch me back together.  

The nurse said that I was the worst vaginal delivery she had ever witnessed.  I couldn't walk for days.  I had to stand to have a bowel movement and use the shower when I had to urinate.  I could not sit on the toilet without pain and painful burning.  I continued to call the nurse for more percocet (sp?). She told me that I shouldn't be in pain 4 weeks out and scheduled me to see the Dr.  Probably thinking I was addicted to my meds.  I met with my Dr. and after my exam he concluded that I would go in for surgery 2 days later.  My episiotomy was infected and a couple of stitches had come undone, thus causing my terrible pain with each step I took.  I went to surgery where they scrubbed out the infected tissue and re-stitched me.  I walked out of the hospital feeling better than I had in weeks.

It wasn't over yet though, my infection came back twice and I was on antibiotics for 30 days.  I stopped breastfeeding because of how long I had to be on them.  Also I had anal fissures from pushing so hard to get my son out.  I bled every single time I had a bowel movement for 9 months when I finally had another surgery to correct it.  It didn't correct everything and it took me an additional 3 months until I didn't have the bleeding anymore.  All in all, it took me a full year to recover.  

I just wanted to let you know that it can go both ways.  I am scheduled for a c-section for this second baby in about a week.  He is already measuring bigger than my son was and my doctor thinks it would be best to not have the same problems I did last time.  I am a little sad because I almost wanted this birth to be my do-over, a chance to prove to myself that it can be a good experience.  I am terrified though of even attempting another vaginal delivery because of the complications the first time around.

I feel for you, and the experience you feel you missed out on.  I feel the same way about my vaginal birth, and just wanted you and others to see that even vaginal births can turn out the complete opposite of what you had envisioned for yourself. 

• Options
    Your story completely and utterly terrifies me. This is the exact situation I am so scared of ending up with. I'm glad you and baby are doing well though. Very well written.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

breastfeeding, cloth diapering, farming mama.

• Options
    imageutgirl2:

Just wanted to say that feeling betrayed by your own body can happen with a c-section or a vaginal delivery.  Those same emotion that you felt for your c-section, I felt with my vaginal delivery.  I put on 60 lbs and was so swollen.  I pushed for 2 1/2 hrs only to have a forcep assisted delivery.  I tore everywhere, on both sides of the vaginal wall and had an episiotomy.  It took the Dr. 1 1/2 hours to stitch me back together.  

The nurse said that I was the worst vaginal delivery she had ever witnessed.  I couldn't walk for days.  I had to stand to have a bowel movement and use the shower when I had to urinate.  I could not sit on the toilet without pain and painful burning.  I continued to call the nurse for more percocet (sp?). She told me that I shouldn't be in pain 4 weeks out and scheduled me to see the Dr.  Probably thinking I was addicted to my meds.  I met with my Dr. and after my exam he concluded that I would go in for surgery 2 days later.  My episiotomy was infected and a couple of stitches had come undone, thus causing my terrible pain with each step I took.  I went to surgery where they scrubbed out the infected tissue and re-stitched me.  I walked out of the hospital feeling better than I had in weeks.

It wasn't over yet though, my infection came back twice and I was on antibiotics for 30 days.  I stopped breastfeeding because of how long I had to be on them.  Also I had anal fissures from pushing so hard to get my son out.  I bled every single time I had a bowel movement for 9 months when I finally had another surgery to correct it.  It didn't correct everything and it took me an additional 3 months until I didn't have the bleeding anymore.  All in all, it took me a full year to recover.  

I just wanted to let you know that it can go both ways.  I am scheduled for a c-section for this second baby in about a week.  He is already measuring bigger than my son was and my doctor thinks it would be best to not have the same problems I did last time.  I am a little sad because I almost wanted this birth to be my do-over, a chance to prove to myself that it can be a good experience.  I am terrified though of even attempting another vaginal delivery because of the complications the first time around.

I feel for you, and the experience you feel you missed out on.  I feel the same way about my vaginal birth, and just wanted you and others to see that even vaginal births can turn out the complete opposite of what you had envisioned for yourself. 

Oh wow, my heart really breaks for you, that must have been incredibly traumatic, especially not being believed by the nurse when you asked for pain medication!  I was very fortunate to have an incredibly supportive team caring for me for my follow up.  In your situation, I do feel like a c/s may be much better, as you do have it scheduled.  My experience post surgery was very good.  I was well medicated (they let me choose when to/not to take meds as I was BFing) and the recovery was pretty clean cut (no pun intended) as my incision was well done.  I wish you the best!  Just go into it prepared (which you sound like you are) and there are actually some videos/info about there about having a "natural c-section" where you see the baby take his first breath, are medicated with anesthesia in a way that you can hold him even as they stitch you up, and they can plan to have a LC come and see you right away if you wish.  Good Luck for a flawless delivery and fast recovery! 

• Options

imagefuzzylamb:
    Your story completely and utterly terrifies me. This is the exact situation I am so scared of ending up with. I'm glad you and baby are doing well though. Very well written.

Thank you!  And yes, which it is terrifying to know what can go wrong (there are worse things than my delivery, obviously) it is important to also know that you do heal from it physically and emotionally.  Communicating is really important.  Have a safe and fantastic delivery!

• Options

imagefuzzylamb:

I do not want to take away from the OP, as her feelings are obviously very real. They are her feelings and no one should discount them.

I too had an unplanned c-section, complete with the rushing in of the people, the doctor telling me they were taking the baby, the oxygen mask, etc.  No real option.  It was a blur and my memory is absent from about 5 minutes after he was out (around noon) to the next morning.  But, I consider my experience very positive.  I feel no mourning or loss of a birth experience.  

My point is to not get scared based on someone else's experience.  You simply can not know how it will effect you until you experience it yourself.  Try to go into it as open minded as possible.

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • Options

Personally I find all the negativity regarding C-Sections sad, and I think it kind of makes those of us not ashamed or upset to have had one feel kind of lousy to read those things.

A lot of women these days are overly 'green', 'ecofriendly', and going 'organic' in pretty much every sense, including giving birth. To me, it didn't matter how my daughter came into this world, as long as she was here, and healthy. I'm sorry to those of you who have had negative experiences, but usually -- if you have a good doctor, a c-section is only given if necessary, and is for the benefit of your baby. A c-section is major surgery for a hospital to perform, and it ties up some of their main staff members and the mother requires extra monitoring ; trust me, they don't do it for their benefit.. they do it for yours and your baby's. 

I myself had a c-section and am about to have a 2nd. My daughter's heart rate dipped with all of my contractions, and my labor simply would not progress. She came out healthy and happy and kicking like a champ and that was all that mattered to me! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"