Multiples

How long were you able to hide your belly?

Before we knew we were having twins we were going to try to wait to tell anyone until 12 weeks. Even then it was going to be a long shot. At 7 weeks, I am using a bella band for my work pants and wearing looser tops. I feel like people could tell if I didn't although its probably more in my head.

How long were you able to hide your twin belly, especially is it was your 2nd pregnancy?

DD born 8/24/07
TTC #2 since 4/09
Unexplained Secondary IF
4 failed rounds of clomid ~ 4 failed IUIs ~ 1 m/c
2/3/11: IUI #5 - Femara/Follistim/Ovidrel/Crinone = BFP (2/14)!!!
Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
1st U/S (3/3): 2 sacs & yolks 2nd U/S (3/8) 2 heartbeats-TWINS!
Baby A:6w6d HR 131 Baby B:6w4d HR 124
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
BabyFruit Ticker
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: How long were you able to hide your belly?

• Well girlie, this is my 2nd (successful) pregnancy.  I'm basically 9 weeks and definitely showing.  It really just depends on your figure....my belly is kinda fluffy anyway, so the bloat of pregnancy and those babies expanding my ute faster than normal has made me look like I did when I was about 15 weeks with my first - at 9.  Anything other than maternity pants for me is hopeless.

I'm still so happy for you that you're having twins!!!  Big Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1st pregnancy, strangers didn't start commenting until about 20 weeks.  I thought they could tell sooner, but it was just me not used to the bloat.  
  • Loading the player...
  • The twins were my first pregnancy and I didn't really start showing until 17-18 weeks. That's when I started wearing mat pants.
  • At about 8 weeks one of my students (I taught 7th grade) asked if I was pregnant and I couldn't deny it. I did have a lot of bloat, and had been wearing a lot of loose shirts and a Bella band.
  • 11w3d is when I had my first dr apt and found out it was twins. I was already showing and had to start wearing maternity jeans at 12 weeks.

• I didn't get my first stranger comment until 20 weeks or so. People who knew me would have been able to tell though. 
  • I was just shy of 13 weeks when I told work and they claimed they suspected nothing.  I was still in my regular clothes at that point although I'd gained about 5lbs. 

I had the fact that it was springtime and a non-mat wardrobe chock full of empire waisted dresses on my side.  Nobody was the wiser and I was able to continue wearing my regular stuff.  

• Probably around 12 weeks people I know could notice, at least that I had gained weight (I was wearing a bella band or a size up in pants by 8 weeks though). I don't think any strangers noticed till about 20 weeks maybe. However, I was so sick in the beginning that I couldn't hide it, I told everyone at work by 10 weeks.
    imageimage
  • I got my first stranger comment at 15w. 
  • I had a definite little tummy at 10 weeks so that is when I told work. (this was my only pregnancy)  I was planning on waiting until 12 weeks too.  But I was self conscious of it so I thought I would just spill the beans.

I found out I was having twins at 13 weeks so I gave work an update then! :-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all the responses! I didn't mean to post and run, I got caught up at work.

I guess to me I am getting thicker but no real bump to speak of. I worry most about those I see all the time and my family. I think we may tell when I get released to my OB. I am still in winter clothes most of the time which are more fitting. I am going to have to get creative!

Thanks again!!

DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    4 failed rounds of clomid ~ 4 failed IUIs ~ 1 m/c
    2/3/11: IUI #5 - Femara/Follistim/Ovidrel/Crinone = BFP (2/14)!!!
    Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
    1st U/S (3/3): 2 sacs & yolks 2nd U/S (3/8) 2 heartbeats-TWINS!
    Baby A:6w6d HR 131 Baby B:6w4d HR 124
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Not long.  I was very small pre-pregnancy.  And though it was just bloat, I got my first stranger comment at 10 weeks.  A co-worker congratulated me on my pregnancy at 12 weeks (I hadn't told anyone yet), and said she thought I was around 5 months. :-x.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimagemy read shelf:
    Melanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • This is my third pregnancy, and while I have no maternity pants to speak of, I havent buttoned my jeans since week 12. (using a bellaband)
  • I got my 1st nosy comment at 13w.  I was struggling to hide my belly at that point and was well into maternity pants.  Prior to that time, I wore a lot of jackets, scarves, and cardigans - anything to divert the eye elsewhere.

• I waited until 14 wks to tell everyone at work... only bosses (bc of early bedrest) and close friends knew before.  I didn't show too much initially, so I was able to get away with wearing very loose babydoll type shirts.  Even wore some maternity shirts with a cardigan on top to hide the elastic band from the back.  LOL
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This is my first pregnancy but I didn't start showing until about 18 weeks.
    Spontaneous ID Twin Girls - born 38w 2d Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Luckily it was in the fall so I just wore a jacket at work but it was obvious that I was growing by 13 weeks.  We told our families 13w1d and I stopped wearing the jacket right after... my students and coworkers noticed immediately!
    Photobucket
  • With DD it was about 20wks when I didn't look "fat" but like there was a baby in there.

With this pregnancy... I started (today) wearing old pants a size up with a bella band. The bloat is killing me! I don't "look pregnant" just poochy. Kinda like I gained 5lbs (even though I've lost about 10).

I don't know when I will start "showing" but I have seen pics of (slender) 3rd time moms with a definate baby belly around 9 weeks (I'm sure the bloat helps) but you wouldn't ask her if she ate too much, you could tell.

• I had a small bump at 15w but could've hidden it with some effort.  I literally popped overnight at 16w.
  • I'm not too far ahead of you, but I noticed I was started to get a belly during 7 weeks (no idea I was having twins yet).  Last week my regular jeans officially don't fit.  I can hide my belly with loose shirts, but anything tighter you can see a decent little bulge.  I am thin and this is my first.  I think if people know you well and suspect something, it may be tough to hide it until 12 weeks, unless you have a very creative wardrobe... Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"