March 2011 Moms

Feet/ankles still swollen after birth?

If you've had your baby, are your feet and ankles still swollen?  And if they are- how long did it last?  Mine are actually WORSE than when I was pregnant and by the end of the day, no matter how much I walk around (advised by doctor) AND prop them up, they are almost unrecognizable and I feel like the skin is going to burst!

My doctor doesn't seem particularly concerned but I'm just wondering how long it's taken anyone elses feet to return to normal-ish.  All the rest of the swelling (hands/fingers) has gone.

Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicInternational Nestie!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Feet/ankles still swollen after birth?

• With DD#1, my ankles and feet did not swell at all during the pregnancy but were VERY swollen after the birth.  This happens because of the large amounts of fluid given to you during the delivery.  It took close to two weeks to go away.  Just drink plenty of water...it will help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine were. They went down about a week afterwards.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My swelling was the worst after birth. I actually had to buy new shoes because I was tired of wearing slippers to the NICU while visiting DD. I did a lot of walking! My nurse practioner said to eat foods like watermelon and celery. Also continue drinking water and tea. She said that these items were natural diuretics and would help get rid of the water. I also elevated my feet at night....which was totally uncomfortable, but it worked. My swelling lasted about 2 weeks after I delivered. I was so happy to wear my regular shoes again! Hope this helps.
  • My OB told me last week when looking at my horribly swollen feet that they'd stay that way for about 2 weeks after birth.  It was NOT what I wanted to hear.
  • With the amount of fluids they pumped into my IV my whole body was swollen for a few weeks!  It does eventually go away. 
    Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Mine took about 1.5 weeks to go down. My toes and fingers are still a little swollen, but I can fit my wedding ring on again, it's just not that comfortable yet.
  • I didn't swell at all during the pregnancy, so I was very surprised that my feet looked like elephant feet after delivery. My doctor said it was completely normal after having an IV for 4.5 days and all the extra fluid in your body after delivery. He said it would stay that way for about 6-8 days. I had to wear slippers home from the hospital it was so bad, but yesterday I was forced to wear sneakers to Liam's pediatrician appointment and I noticed that the swelling has gone down quite a bit after they were compressed. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine are pretty swollen, but I've drank lots of water, and it's slowly going down.  The nurses said it was because they pumped me with so much fluid during birth.

It'll go down!  Don't worry!!

• yup!  what everyone else has said.  they pump you with lots of fluid druing labor/birth.  my baby is 2 weeks old and the swelling is pretty much gone!
  • I was more swollen after delivery too.  I had a lot of iv fluid pumped into me during labor.  The last few days have been better.  My feet are mostly back to normal and I can get my wedding rings on but they are still a little snug.

• Thanks everyone!  That's what I needed to hear!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicInternational Nestie!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBloggingTeach:
    My swelling was the worst after birth. I actually had to buy new shoes because I was tired of wearing slippers to the NICU while visiting DD. I did a lot of walking!My nurse practioner said to eat foods like watermelon and celery. Also continue drinking water and tea. She said that these items were natural diuretics and would help get rid of the water. I also elevated my feet at night....which was totally uncomfortable, but it worked.My swelling lasted about 2 weeks after I delivered. I was so happy to wear my regular shoes again! Hope this helps.

Pineapple and asparagus are also diuretics. And potassium is supposed to help as well. Besides, bananas, apricots are a great source of potassium.

• like a PP said, my hands and feet weren't swollen at all during pregnancy, but after labor i could feel them swell up.  i figured it was maybe water retention because i went from drinking 100+ ounces of water a day to not really thirsty at all.so i drank a lot of water and the swelling went down.
    Bre Wrties
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"