Long Island Babies
Options

Stony Brook Midwives - would love any information

Hi 
I am moving to Stony Brook and trying to decide between finding a new OB or going to Stony Brook MIdwives.  I think the midwives sound great in theory but I want to find out as much as possible before I decide.  If anyone has any experience, I would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Stony Brook Midwives - would love any information

• Options

Hi,

I went to the "Meet the Midwives" session at StonyBrook Hospital last week. They have a session the first thursday of every month at 7pm. It was incredibly informative, and I called today and switch all my prenatal care to their office. I'm really excited to be seen by them, they all had such a positive and happy additude. Their beliefs about childbirth are more in line with my thinking. I would def. go to the session next month, or make an appointment to talk with them.

• Options

Thanks 

I appreciate your advice.  I was thinking of checking out the meet the midwives event next month.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had two amazing natural childbirths with the Stony Brook midwives. They are wonderful and Stony Brook hospital is great!
  • Options
    I have been thinking more and more about a natural birth and am going to the meet the midwives session on May 5th to hopfully make a final decision. I am scared to tell my current doctor because I have a feeling he will try to talk me out of it!
  • Options

imagembunches21:
    I have been thinking more and more about a natural birth and am going to the meet the midwives session on May 5th to hopfully make a final decision. I am scared to tell my current doctor because I have a feeling he will try to talk me out of it!

I just have to say, remember this is your baby and your body. I have heard too many unfortunate stories from moms who stayed with their OBs because they didn't like to make waves and then ended-up less than happy with their OB's care during childbirth. If you want to switch, just fax the OB's office and they will send your paper work over to your new provider -- you don't even have to discuss it with them. I know it can seem like a really hard thing to do, but you can do it. I actually left my OB for the Stony Brook midwives at 25 weeks and it was the best decision -- I had a wonderful, unmedicated birth and found the midwives completely supportive of all my birth decisions!

• Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragment :) I went to the Meet the Midwives meeting tonight and have no doubt in my mind now that I will be switching from my OB to the midwives. I highly recommend the monthly meeting they have every first Thursday of the month to anyone even considering going with a midwife. They answered so many questions and talked about things my OB never mentioned. I especially like that they will allow you to take drugs if you want. Many people have a preconception of midwives as being 100% against any medication during birth. I am going to try to go completely natural, but it eases my mind to know relief is available if I get desperate. Stony Brook hospital also seems really nice. Part of the meeting included a tour of the labor and delivery unit and we saw the rooms where we would give birth and then recover. Everything was very impressive. I was very anxious about the birth of my baby, especially since this is my first, but after tonight I feel so much calmer knowing I have a plan and a great support system in the midwives.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"