Breastfeeding
Options

cracked nipple - how can it heal?

both of my nipples are fairly sore but one is cracked pretty bad and doesn't seem to be getting any better.  I started using Medela therashells today to help with air circulation and I've been putting breastmilk and lanolin on them for the past couple of weeks.  Is there anything else I should be doing?  I'm sort of terrified that its going to get infected if it doesn't start healing soon.  

Re: cracked nipple - how can it heal?

• Options
    If you have access to a lactation consultant call them! Le Leche League is also a great free resource. It is likely that your LO isn't latching right. I was just about two weeks along when my cracked nipples were not healing and I went int to see the LC. She showed me how to properly latch LO and prescribed me an ointment with a steroid to put on (triple ointment). It totally saved me from quitting BFing. I was in tears each time LO would latch on from the pain. The triple ointment healed my nipples quickly and BFing has been great ever since! Another thing you can do for now is use a nipple shield (if LO will take it, mine didn't) or pump milk and feed to LO in a bottle to give your nipples a little time to heal. I think that I waited too long to contact my LC, and wish that I would have sooner! 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'm copying my response to a post below... 

My nipples felt like they'd been through the shredder in the beginning, and it really did last a few weeks.  LC told me to mix up a "triple paste" to help with the healing and avoid infection (1 part cortisone, 1 part polysporin and 1 part Lotrimin AF).  I applied it several times a day after nursing.  It REALLY helped.  Have DH get all 3 of these at the drugstore...they are all OTC.

I also had big problems with the latch.  I wasn't pointing the nipple at his nose.  I tried to just "suck it up" and deal with the pain.  But it doesn't have to be that way.  I was going to nurse/pump from the least damaged nipple to let the other one heal, but the LC shoved LO's head right onto the bad breast and it didn't hurt at all!  Amazing what a proper latch can do!

Hang in there!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I just wanted to send ***hugs***

I have an older baby and have been dealing with a recurring crack on my left boob for more than 2 months now.  It is AWFUL and it is definitely all about latch.   My LO's latch was never great, especially on the left, but now I'm paying hell for never getting it 100% right.  I never planned on weaning this early, but between the never healing crack pain and the new biting my kid's having so much fun with, I think it might be inevitable.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"