Austin Babies
Options

Meat sticks?

Our pedi recommended these to us months ago and she said she thought they were by Gerber.  I have not been able to find them.  Anybody know what I"m talking about and have a specific brand I can try and look for?

Re: Meat sticks?

• Options
    Yep, they are made by Gerber and you can find them where all the Gerber toddler foods are.  Walmart, and HEB should both have them.  They are packed in little baby food jars.
  • Options

imagebrideonjuly8:
    Yep, they are made by Gerber and you can find them where all the Gerber toddler foods are.  Walmart, and HEB should both have them.  They are packed in little baby food jars.

Ahhhhh...that explains it.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I cannot bring myself to give them to DD, they look so gross.  Sad
    I Can't Resist Those Chubby Cheeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Dx with endo & blocked left tube - TTC #1 for 29 cycles before miracle BFP, #2 - Surprise!!
    My TTC/PG blog / Panda Phenomenon Explained
  • Options

imageJennifer*L*923:

They do look gross- like those vienna sausages.  But DS loves them, they kinda smell like hot dogs.  it's either that or he doesn't eat much meat at all.  I cut them up and let him dip them in ranch.

• Options
    imagebrideonjuly8:

imageJennifer*L*923:

They do look gross- like those vienna sausages.  But DS loves them, they kinda smell like hot dogs.  it's either that or he doesn't eat much meat at all.  I cut them up and let him dip them in ranch.

I might be persuaded to eat them with ranch too.  Wink  

I Can't Resist Those Chubby Cheeks

Dx with endo & blocked left tube - TTC #1 for 29 cycles before miracle BFP, #2 - Surprise!!
    My TTC/PG blog / Panda Phenomenon Explained
  • Options
    I just bought some the other day for her to eat at my parent's house over the weekend.  My mom refused to give them to her because, "They looked gross".  But she forgets that she used to give us vienna sausages in a can when we were kids and we loved them :)  I plan on giving her some with some fruit
  • Options
    I give DS Vienna Sausages.  I figured I used to eat them as a kid and I am still kicking it, then it would be good enough for him.  He LOOOVES them!
  • Options
    My son LOVED them!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Abby wouldn't touch them and we did Baby Led Weaning with Emily. Depending on your kids chewing skills, it might be tastier to just get Deli meat cut on 10 and then cut it into small cubes (or even "sticks"). That's what we do. A lot less expensive.  Plus, cubes aren't nearly the choking hazard sausages are. I couldn't bring myself to give them to Abby without at least slicing them sideways.

Vienna sausages are pretty much the same thing, look for a low sodium variety and they'll be cheaper than "baby food" too.

The Gerber ones look like this. In case you're a visual person like me!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageTaytee:

Abby wouldn't touch them and we did Baby Led Weaning with Emily. Depending on your kids chewing skills, it might be tastier to just get Deli meat cut on 10 and then cut it into small cubes (or even "sticks"). That's what we do. A lot less expensive.  Plus, cubes aren't nearly the choking hazard sausages are. I couldn't bring myself to give them to Abby without at least slicing them sideways.

Vienna sausages are pretty much the same thing, look for a low sodium variety and they'll be cheaper than "baby food" too.

Good idea on the deli meat!  I think I might try that with cheese too.  I never thought of that.  DH might also like that idea better because his biggest fear is that DS will choke.  I am totally a visual person and it finally hit me to maybe check out the Gerber website after I posted this.  

• Options
    imageditzydi_2000:
    imageTaytee:

Good idea on the deli meat!  I think I might try that with cheese too.  I never thought of that.  DH might also like that idea better because his biggest fear is that DS will choke.  I am totally a visual person and it finally hit me to maybe check out the Gerber website after I posted this.  

They are super soft, just to let you know.  I heat them up a bit in the microwave and they almost fall apart when you slice them, not at all as tough as a hot dog.

• Options

It's the only way we could get DD1 to eat much meat as a toddler.  She LOVED them.  DD2 however does not.  We tried the other day.  So I gave the rest of the jar to DD1 and as a 3-year old she still loves them!  LOL.

FYI on the choking hazard.  The meat sticks are not like hot dogs/sausages...they are VERY soft and almost fall apart if you're not careful taking them out of the jar.  We cut them up into pieces (prob 6 per stick) until we think they can handle holding them and taking bites.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"