Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How often/long is your 2.5 month old nursing?

DS only nurses about every 4 - 5 hours, and only for about 10 minutes on one side (he only takes the second breast about 10% of the time). He is also STTN now so thats 8 or 9 hours without eating. He is still wetting 5 - 6 diapers a day (obviously it would be more if he was still getting up) and poops every third day. I think his weight gain is okay, he's hanging out right around the 50th percentile and is 5 lbs up from his birthweight. So maybe it's only because he was on a 2 hour schedule for so long, but I can't shake the feeling that he's not eating enough. What do you think? What's your experience?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: How often/long is your 2.5 month old nursing?

• My LO nurses every 2-3 hours during the day and night.  I'm of the mindset that if your LO is having enough poopy and wet diapers then he is fine.  My LO still poops every time she eats....

ETA: She's a 1 sided nurser and will usually nurse for 20-25 minutes. 

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I noticed B has slowed down on the nursing front during the day as well. Prob. for about a week now. She used to nurse ever 1- 2 hours 10 minutes each side now she nurses every 2-4 and most of the time only for 10 minutes on one side. She still doesnt sleep thru the night she does nurse about 10 minutes betw.2/3 and 10 minutes betw 4/5. I think its normal and as long as she has enough wet diapers I am not worried.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelaceysmom82:

My LO nurses every 2-3 hours during the day and night.  I'm of the mindset that if your LO is having enough poopy and wet diapers then he is fine.  My LO still poops every time she eats....

ETA: She's a 1 sided nurser and will usually nurse for 20-25 minutes. 

This for us too. Although, once in awhile he'll have a marathon 45 min nursing session.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When DD was 2 months up until very recently (like last few weeks) she ate every 2 hours for 10-15 minutes. A few weeks ago she started stretching out to 2.5-3 hours and got her feedings down to 5-10 minutes (I have an overactive let down that was discovered by pumping and always getting the full 15 minute session pump amount in the first 5-10 minutes)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS has started sleeping longer at night (about 6-7 hours), but during the day, he is eating about every 3 hours (sometimes every 2.5 hours).  He spends about 10-15 minutes on each breast.  Oddly, his weight is a little low, but it could be because he had a 2" growth spurt in one month.  We are continuing to monitor his weight with weight checks at the doctor's.

If your LO is continuing to gain weight and produce enough soiled diapers, his schedule is likely good for him.  I'd probably still call the pedi to discuss and to see if a weight check is in order.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DS is almost 2.5 months. He eats every 3-4 hours only 5 mins on each breast. He sleeps 6-7 hours at night. He's gaining weight well! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"