VBAC
Options

Candidate for VBAC after 2 c/s?

With my first pregnancy, I was a week over due and induced. I never got past 4 cm dialated. My water was broken, and I got an epidural around 3cm due to the crazy labor pains from the pitocin. Twelve hours later, there was still little progress and my daughter's heart rate dropped so I was wheeled into the OR for an emergency c/s.

With my son, they were 15 months apart so the option of doing a VBAC wasn't even presented to me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a VBAC after 2 c/s or if they are pretty much completely not available?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Candidate for VBAC after 2 c/s?

• Options

There are a bunch of studies showing that VBA2C is safe and a good option for many women.  ACOG recently changed their VBAC guidelines to say that VBA2C should be available.

That said, it can be hard to find a provider who will do them.  They are definitely out there (my OB will do them and just had a successful one a few weeks ago), but you may have to search a bit and not every area will have one who is willing. 

If you have a local ICAN group, they would be a good resource for finding a doctor or midwife who supports VBA2C.  If not, check out local message boards, call some local doulas or just pick up the phone and starting calling around.  GL! 

Here's the ACOG guidelines:

https://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr07-21-10-1.cfm 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I contacted my local ICAN chapter and they gave me a ton of referrals for doctors in my area that would allow a VBA2C.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My first two babies (both scheduled c/s) were 16.5 months apart.  We recently moved and I interviewed a new OB who actually brought up the option of VBA2C.  He encouraged me to research it and consider my options, but said he's definitely open to letting me try if I choose to.  We're at least a year off from ttc #3, so I haven't put a ton of thought into this just yet, just wanted to let you know those OBs are definitely out there.  We're in a small town, too, so I was really surprised that the doctor was so open to the idea (without me asking, even!)

Good luck to you! 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
      I just read the study from ACOG saying that it is accpetable to have VBAC2.  Defintley worht doing some research to see if it is right for you and ICAN is a great resource for finding supportive doctors.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We're trying for a VBA2C in April.  ACOG guidelines stated, right before we found out we were expecting again, something to the extent of - it's just as safe with two c-sections as one c-section, to attempt a vaginal delivery. 

Our second and third child will be around 21 months apart, so a little under 2 years between the second c/s and this delivery.  Our doctors are who mentioned it, intially.  I didn't even think it was a possibility after 2 c-sections. 

The only thing is if I don't go into labor on my own, they will not induce, unless I'm around 2-3 cm - and I will have no choice except to have a RCS in my 42nd week (which is what happened with baby #2, for me). 

Good Luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"