D.C. Area Babies

Ear infection or something else?

For the past few weeks, DS seems to not be able to hear what I am saying.  Every time I tell him something, he follows it up with "What you say?".  Sometimes multiple times in a row.  Is this something that just comes with toddler distraction, or do you think I should get the pedi to check his ears?

We're going to a new pedi on Thursday for DD's 4 month checkup, so I could ask then, but I know that some pedis can get annoyed when you ask about another kid when you're only there for one.  I'm not sure if I want to make a second appointment if he's just not bothering to actually listen to me, you know?

Re: Ear infection or something else?

• I guess there are two questions to ask.  1) do his ears seem to be bothering him?  and 2) does he respond to other noises?  As in, will he react to a loud noise, can he hear the TV or radio, etc.?  If he responds otherwise it's probably not something else.  It may be an ear infection or he may just not hear all of what you say.  In which case I'd have to say that this must be an inherent male issue that starts at a young age :)  I'd keep an eye on him and rule out an ear infection.
  • imagehollace:
    I'd have to say that this must be an inherent male issue that starts at a young age :) 

Thank you for that laugh!!!! I agree that, to be safe, I'd have him checked out at the pedi and you could always get his hearing tested as well.  You'll then at least know exactly what you're dealing with. His ears just could be a little waxy too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • call and see if they can squeeze in your DS right around your DD's appt

• I'd have it checked out but I'd be rich if I had a dollar every time Maggie asked "What did you say?"  Unfortunately we have now progressed to her just not hearing me talk at all :-(
  • Well, I asked him if his ears felt funny and he said yes.  Then he told me that his hair and toes felt funny too.  So, um, I don't know if the first was true or not.

We played a whispering game and he had no trouble hearing me, so I think he's just distracted/not paying attention most of the time.  I might have the pedi check his ears just in case though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"