Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

tv on during play dates?

Am I missing something?  It seems like wherever we go, the tv is on.  We just started a new playgroup with someone I know, but haven't hung out with since college and some of her friends and DS was awful the first time.  The whole way home I was trying to figure it out and then I realized that it was because the other kids were watching the movie and DS was just trying to get them to play with him so he was leaning on them, sitting on them, etc.  Don't get me wrong, we watch tv, but I just think this is weird.  Is it so the moms can talk? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: tv on during play dates?

• Options

I totally agree with you...it should be off. The whole point is to "play" right? Whenever I go to a playdate or host one, the tv is off.

someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    And don't get me started on the snacks.  LOL.  I am no fun. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    uh oh, did they provide snacks?? Were they bad?
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

DS has food allergies, so I am sensitive, but because they are kids and I don't know them well, I just said as long as the gatherings are nut-free, we can deal.  One of the moms brought "healthy" fruit snacks and showed me the box (super nice).  Each kid had a pack.  One kid did not like them and his mom busted out the more sugary kind and he ate 2-3 packs and then she got out a bag of Doritos and then she said that they might not be able to stop for fast food if he ate too many snacks (I saw Oreos in their bag too).  NOW, I am not anti-snack, but seriously, it was like 11 and we met at 10...and the helicopter allergy mom in me just wanted snack to be over so I could stop freaking out about DS wanting to eat a Dorito and DD picking EVERYTHING up off the floor to examine and eat. 

One of my good friends who usually "gets" DS's allergies had us over last week and DD ate (all off of their floor in the living room and play room): chicken, a yogurt covered raisin (luckily I got the raisin before she could choke on it, but she doesn't eat dairy yet) and Froot Loops.   Once I saw her pick up the first thing, I was all over DS and then she found the other things.  LOL.  I am laughing at this post.  I really have nice friends.  Honest. 

• Options
    No TV at my house during playdates.  The other day my friend and her daughter were over to play.  Her daughter asked for Dora and I told her no.  She was persistant so I finally told her my TV doesn't get Dora.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This post reminds me why I think play dates at this age are more trouble than they are worth.
  • Options

I've been on 2 playdates w/ two particular friends, M and S.  Their sons are close in age where as mine is a bit younger.  S's son is all about playing, doesn't even look at the TV, etc.

M's son - ALL about TV, movies, etc.  The first time we were at S's house and M was like "Oh do you mind?  DS really wants to watch TV."

Uh.... isn't the point of a playdate to PLAY!?  So M's son sat and watched TV, S's son ran around and played by himself. 

Like you, DS watches TV sometimes.  But I can guarentee you that he is going to learn that playdates mean PLAY, not TV.

And of course, when we were at M's house, the TV was on the entire time. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

I haven't really noticed this so I think pretty much TVs have been off when I've been on playdates.  We had one where the kids played in the basement w/ us for awhile and them came upstairs to the family room/kitchen for a snack and more quiet play and my friend turned on the TV.  The kids continued to play and my friend and I were able to chat a little more. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I haven't been to any playdates recently, but I went to several a month when DD was younger.  I have never seen a TV on, and I would be really turned off by having one on.
  • Options
    This is weird. The TV is never on during any play dates we go to. I have one very close friend who will sometimes ask if it's ok to put on a certain program because her son really likes one TV show that sometimes comes on during the times we're there, but she asks first and it's usually only if DD has run off to the little boy's room without him anyway.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

TV is only on when we go to playdates at my BFF's house, and not always. Those are more mommy PD's anyway, but with 5 kids age 4mos to 3.5yrs there's a lot of back and forth between play/TV/project anyway.

We don't have a TV out and we don't host PD's in my bedroom so it's a non-issue at my house. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"