3rd Trimester
Options

Update to Cramping & Bleeding...

Going to L&D was a complete waste of my time, money, and gas. My doc told me to go straight to L&D; do not pass go, do not collect $200, straight to L&D. So, when DH and I got to the hospital, we went straight to L&D. I tell the doc on call who I am, who my doc is, why I'm there, ect. She said she was not aware I was coming and I needed to go to the ER to check in. DH told her my doc told us not to go to the ER, come here, yada yada yada. They didnt' have a room to put me in at first. Finally got in one, peed in the cup, got hooked up to all the little machines, DH went down to the ER and checked me in...all the general stuff. A tech came in and did an u/s to check the placenta, it was fine. My urine was fine. Baby's heartbeat was fine. Doc did a vag check, no dilation, no contractions, cervix was fine and OF COURSE, I had stopped bleeding by then. DH and I are constantly telling the doc and nurse I am having severe cramping. I was having them while they were in the room and all they would say is  "You aren't having contractions, you are fine." They sent me home an hour after being there, still having severe cramps. Oh, but they did tell me, if I begin to have abdominal pain, to call them. Um, HELLO....that's why I went in the first place. I am not a happy camper.  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Update to Cramping & Bleeding...

• Options
    That's really strange but good that you checked out okay. If it continues I'd get a second opinion...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

breastfeeding, cloth diapering, farming mama.

• Options
    Ugh, I hate getting those drs. who could care less about what you have to say.  I probably would have asked for someone else to treat me.  At least they got you hooked up to the monitors and looked at the placenta, so that should be a big relief.  If I were you I would def. pay close attention to any pain you get in the next few days...maybe keep track of it in a journal or something.  And if you see ANY signs of bleeding, call your doc or go to L&D right away.  Even if you have to take in a nasty pair of bloody undies to get them to take you seriously! 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Surely you don't consider it a complete waste to have gone!  The peace of mind that comes with knowing that your LO is safe and well is worth it!  I'm sorry that they didn't give you any answers, though; a similar thing happened when I went into L&D after having ~20 BH contractions in an hour.  They monitored me for hours, gave me medicine to try to stop the contractions, and sent me home when nothing worked.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    The only goo thing to come out of it was getting to see LO during the u/s and the tech giving us a new pic of him to bring home. I could have told the doc I wasn't having contractions. If that was all they were concerned about, then yes, I do consider it a complete waste. DH had to take off work to come home and get me to take to the hospital, which is an hour away. I am still having the cramps and bleeding, yet here I sit because the doc says I'm fine.  
  • Options

That's so frustrating! I went in at just before 25 weeks with tears streaming down my face because of pain and since they didn't see anything wrong with me or the baby they sent me home with some tylenol. They just looked at me like I was stupid and felt like an idiot. Ever since then I hesitate to call or go in.

I'm glad you and LO are doing ok. Do you have a follow-up with your OB?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    I would go see your regular Dr. if it continues.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I do have an apt with my regular doc a week from tomorrow. I will probably put a call in to him again tomorrow to let him know that I'm still having the cramps and L&D sent me home. Just gonna take it easy for the next few days and keep an eye on things. Thanks for everyone's concerns. Hope the pain eases up and I can get some rest.
  • Options
    It sucks to go in for nothing, but it's better safe than sorry. Good Luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
  • Options
    It is never a waste of time when you find out things are OK. If they hadn't been and you hadn't gone there would be a different tune being sung here. 
  • Options

imageAnneShirleyBlythe:
    It is never a waste of time when you find out things are OK. If they hadn't been and you hadn't gone there would be a different tune being sung here. 

Exactly. Its weird you feel like it was a waste, I would be beyond relieved to find out things were ok. Were you hoping something would be wrong so you wouldnt feel like you wasted an afternoon? Seriously.... ::headesk::

• Options

i think you are very lucky that you went in and everything was fine.  i would have a hard time not calling every time that happened. 

i had cramping and bleeding at 29 weeks and went to the hospital right away after i saw the bleeding.  i had ds by emergency c-section about 40 min after i got there because i was totally dilated and he was breech.  if i had waited any longer i probably would've had him at home (with predictably dire and devastating results). 

not to make that all scary sounding, but people get worried with the cramping and bleeding, because for some people, at that point having a baby is imminent.  

i'm glad you and the baby were fine- you should feel lucky.  

bound to cover just a little more ground Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLeggadine08:

imageAnneShirleyBlythe:

Exactly. Its weird you feel like it was a waste, I would be beyond relieved to find out things were ok. Were you hoping something would be wrong so you wouldnt feel like you wasted an afternoon? Seriously.... ::headesk::

This! I would rather waste my time, money, and gas then to have sat at home at 28 weeks with bleeding and have something go wrong. At least you know everything looks good, but it didn't seem like you were that worried about it yesterday when you asked. Confused

• Options

imageAnneShirleyBlythe:

Yep.  Getting checked out when something could be wrong with your baby isn't a waste of time.  What if the bleeding had been a placental abruption and you hadn't gone in? 

It sucks that the hospital didn't handle things better though and I think you should bring it up with your doctor (e.g. the miscommunication about where you should go).

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Your nonchalant attitude about something being potentially very wrong with your baby, and now you saying you wasted your time by going to L&D get a very large Hmm from me. I don't believe this is the typical attitude of most smart pregnant women. 

• Options

image*LisaFrank*:
    Your nonchalant attitude about something being potentially very wrong with your baby, and now you saying you wasted your time by going to L&D get a very large Hmm from me. I don't believe this is the typical attitude of most smart pregnant women. 

This, I would give anything to be told everything is fine with my baby. Some ladies aren't as lucky as you. Be thankful for the reassurance you were given. 

• Options

I would be really concerned if I were you and try to schedule an appointment with your OB for this week. I had cramping and bleeding at 33 weeks - not a ton of bleeding, similar to a period but it only lasted a couple hours and my doctor thinks that I had a partial placenta abruption, which could be very serious. I ended up in L&D for 36 hours being monitored with consistent contractions - I couldn't feel most of them and my cervix was closed, but I was still given Stadol to slow them down and corticosteroids in case baby had to come early.

Fortunately, LO is doing well and still an inside baby, but I am being monitored very closely because problems with the placenta can cause serious problems for your baby's development.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I am very glad my LO and I are both okay. What I was very frustrated with was the fact that the on call doc that I saw was not concerned with why I came in. I came in for severe abdominal cramps and bleeding. When she did my vag exam, I was not bleeding then, but the bleeding started again later in the evening. DH and I kept telling the nurse and on call doc that the cramps were very painful (as I lay there in tears) and all they would say was "you arent having contractions, you are fine." THAT is why I was pissed off with the whole ordeal. I was very concerned and worried, but I get anxiety and panic attacks and if I let myself get all worked up an freaked out, I'll have the attacks and it makes things worse. So, no, I was not non-shalaunt about the episoe, just trying to keep myself calm and not have any panic attacks.

The only reason I asked in my original post about waiting or calling was because I read on here so much about people having a symptom and go in and its a normal thing. My doc has never given me a list or told me things to call or not call about. So if it was somehting normal, I didn't wanna have to call. This is my first pregnancy so everything is new for me, so yes, I may seem like an idiot as LisaFrank has so generously pointed out several times, but I just don't know everything like the rest of you super mommies.

• Options
    I think your concern is normal and your reaction to how they treated you is normal as well. I didn't get the feeling from your first post that you were upset that everything was ok - you were upset because they didn't seem to be taking your symptoms seriously (like after you told them you were having severe abdominal cramping - not contractions - they told you to come back if you had abdominal pain. hello? were they not listening?). I would definitely say call your OB again if the bleeding is back and tell him what happened in L&D. Since L&D said everything looks good, maybe you could just go see him and he can try to figure out what's going on.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"