April 2011 Moms
Options

call vs. wait

So this weekend I busted my butt cleaning, and starting Saturday night I noticed my lower calf/shin area are swollen. Like huge indents if I push them in swollen.  My feet/ankles are "achy" as if they are swollen, but they are nothing like my leg area.  Last week at my doctor appointment my blood pressure was higher than usual, but the doctor said they weren't worried about it (even thought it was 130 over something).  I saw someone just post that their doctor is worried about them having pre-e and now I'm wondering if I should call and let them know about the swelling, as I know this is just a normal part of pregnancy also..I have had some slight swelling in my hands prior to this, but it hadn't been anything else until this weekend..I have a doctor appointment a week from tomorrow (March 8th) with a doctor I really like at my practice..I know if I call and they want me to come in, I might not get to see her, and I really prefer her.  ...should I just wait it out? or should I call?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: call vs. wait

• Options
    Personally I would call. The swelling in your calf/shin area seems more than just a little swelling or water retention. With pre-e it can get from bad to worse quickly so it would be best to get checked sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    It is always better to be safe than sorry and call. That's what your doctor is there for and they know going into the business that they will be on-call for all kinds of questions!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Call, that's what the dr is there for - answering your questions are part of the job.
  • Options

I would wait a few days, rest as much as you can, and see if the swelling goes down.  I also have high BP and occasional swelling, but no pre-e.  I'm assuming they didn't find protein in your pee cup at the last appointment or they would have been more concerned. 

If the swelling doesn't seem to be going down, definitely call them.  Other pre-e symptoms include swelling in your face and headaches that don't go away with rest/tylenol.  If you have those, call your doctor.  In the meantime, try to relax and rest.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'll add that I've always been a "waiter".  If it will ease your mind to call, definitely do it!

• Options

imageluvdelilah:
    I'll add that I've always been a "waiter".  If it will ease your mind to call, definitely do it!

LOL. I've always been a "waiter" too.  I feel like I'm over reacting over little things (esp. since this is my 2nd time around) if I call about every little thing..I kept my feet up all afternoon yesterday, and since I've been home today, and still no change.  I'll probably rest more tomorrow after work and if it's not getting better call.  My only concern is it doesn't get "better" overnight like swelling usually does in my hands etc...and frankly, it's just ugly.lol.

• Options

imageluvdelilah:

LOL. I've always been a "waiter" too.  I feel like I'm over reacting over little things (esp. since this is my 2nd time around) if I call about every little thing..I kept my feet up all afternoon yesterday, and since I've been home today, and still no change.  I'll probably rest more tomorrow after work and if it's not getting better call.  My only concern is it doesn't get "better" overnight like swelling usually does in my hands etc...and frankly, it's just ugly.lol.

• Options
    If you're concerned, call. My doctor keeps telling me to keep an eye on the swelling but if I got a horrible headache or if my face begins to swell, call ASAP.Maybe this is just because my BPs have been fine the entire time that they aren't being too alarmed but, that's what I've been told.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LFWisBack Our Guardian Angels: 11.06 * 6.09 * 12.11
  • Options
    I'm a waiter too, so I lean toward putting my feet up this evening, taking an epsom salt bath, lots of water and see what it's like tomorrow. DH can even rub his hands up your ankles, toward your knee, to move some of the swelling to help it dissipate.
  • Options
    The RN who did our 'prep for birth class'  said that normal swelling in 3rd tri is below the knees and in the hands.  If you drink water and prop your feet up (above heart level, as uncomfortable as that may be!) and it doesn't go away, or you start to get a headache or swelling elsewhere, call!  Or just call for the heck of it, it can't hurt :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"