Pregnant after 35
Options

Out of curiosity....

I am 21weeks and 4 day pregnant. 36 years old (will be 37 in April). After the FTS and the ultrasound at 16 weeks we decided not to do amniocentesis. From what I read online, seems like most of the 35+ do either amnio or CVS and sometimes I wonder if I should have done it as well...

So anyone else in the same boat with me? What were your reasons for doing or not doing these tests?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Out of curiosity....

• Options
    I'm 43.  We did the amnio with Margaux, and CVS with this new one.  Our reasoning is that we want as much solid information as we can have, in case we need to have a special medical team ready.  Also, having the reassurance that there's nothing genetically wrong feels pretty nice.  :)
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I did the amnio. We wanted peace of mind that there was nothing wrong. 

The other tests give you statistics, the amnio is definitive because they actually check the DNA. They also give you the gender without flipping back and forth because the ultrasound was "fuzzy" or the baby wasn't being "agreeable".

The risk is low the reward of knowing we're not playing the genetic lottery just made me feel way better. I have enough to be anxious over having my first baby at 40, having to sit and obsess about a 1 in 200 or 1 in 450 chance would make me insane.

You should always do what's right for you and your significant other.

For us, it was knowing without a doubt :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We decided not to do the CVS or amnio, because our results from the NT scan and blood work came out great.  In fact, our genetic counselor said that neither invasive test was indicated based on our results (nuchal fold measured 1.3, 1:1461 for Down Syndrome and 1:2521 for Trisomies 13 and 18, all way better than my age would indicate - I'm 40).  The genetic counselor and the perinatologist said the next test indicated was the Level II ultrasound, which we had at 20 weeks, and everything looked great (and still looks great at the growth ultrasounds I have every 4 weeks). 

We would have done one of the more invasive tests if our results weren't as good as they were (say if the results were about the same or higher than the risk of miscarriage from the CVS or amnio).  We're comfortable with our screening results, so for us the risks outweighed the benefits of going through the tests.  

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

• Options
    We did the amnio only because the quad screen results were so high risk (1:16 for DS). We wouldn't have done one just in case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I?m 37 and will be 38 when lo is born.  We had planned to do the NT Scan and blood work from the beginning and only after that talk about CVS or amnio if needed.  Very similar to kikijbird our NT Scan and blood work results came out better than expected: 

?         Downs Syndrome (Risk 1:255) my results 1: 7,800

?         Trisomy 18 (Risk 1:227) my results 1: 10,000

?         Open Neural Tube defect-Spinal Bifida (Risk 1:200) my results1: 3,800

We spoke with our doctor and she said that we could go forward but the results were very favorable.  It would come down to weighing the risks of having CVS or Amnio vs the results we had and in the end it didn?t seem necessary.  I would have only continued with the testing if my results were closer to the risk results and the would have been only to be informed with the possibility of caring for a high-risk infant. 

Delivered 3 weeks and 2 days early via emergency c/s due to pre-e

Anniversary
    Trying to Conceive Ticker image
  • Options
    We went through 5 years of IF and 5 IVF's in order to finally get PG w/ DS. No way were we taking any extra risks.  Too long of a path to get where we were.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

we did the NT scan but nothing more invasive.  between the results of the scan+bloodwork and a long talk with my doctor, we're confident that this baby is healthy. 

It's such a personal decision as you can see from everyone's response.  Are you a "need to know definately" person or a "good enough for me" kind of person.  How much information do YOU need to relax and enjoy your pregnancy.  Do you trust your doctor to give you good advice and information or do you need more.  It's all up to you.

• Options

I'm 37 and we just did the sequential screen (NT + additional bloodwork).  The results showed the chances of a problem were lower than the risk of miscarriage from amnio or CVS, so we skipped the more invasive testing as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageEastCoastBride:
    We went through 5 years of IF and 5 IVF's in order to finally get PG w/ DS. No way were we taking any extra risks.  Too long of a path to get where we were.

This exactly.  Too long and hard a struggle to finally get PG to take the risk of losing it.  I would have gone off the deep end if I finally gotten PG and then had a miscarriage because of the extra testing.

GL with your decision it's not an easy one to make, JM 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

IF History in my Bio!

• Options

We did the CVS. Mostly because of AMA (I was 40 when I delivered). Results came back with a large paracentric inversion on chromosome 1. This would not have come up on an NT scan. Because chromosomal anomalies put LO at a higher risk for birth defects, the CVS results qualified us for more advanced screenings and tests throughout my pregancy. Anatomical scan at the Peri. Fetal echo (to check for heart defects, one of the more common defects with chromosomal things), more regular NSTs (2X per week) in the third trimester and weekly fluid checks in the final month or so. Everything turned out great, but had there been a diagnosis of any defects or issues, we would have been prepared with delivery at the right hospital and early delivery if necessary.

It is a very personal decision.

Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • Options

Thank you for the input ladies! I appreciate it very much. And I love this site because of the people. We decided not to do amnio! Firm! The blood work + NT scan gave us very good results (1:1000 for DS, 1:10000 for t13,t18 and 1:6000 for spina bifida) and our 20 week u/s was good as well. The doctor says that it looks like a healthy and active boy. I think I should start enjoying the pregnancy and not to think of "what if...'s".

Wish you all happy and healthy pregnancies!:)

• Options
    I decline the NT, quad-screen, etc.  I do have a MFM do a Level II US at 22 weeks.  We would not terminate for any reason and I think the statistics with the screening would just make me more nervous.  I would consider amnio after viability if something unusual came up at the anatomy scan. 
  • Options
    I am 36 and will be 37 when this baby is born. I have opted out of almost EVERY screening test. I'm not overly religious, nor am I particularly fanatical about much of anything, but I don't see how the excess worry created by a positive test would help me prepare for a baby with a genetic disease or defect. I'm not getting rid of it, by any means, regardless of test results, so what's the point? I'm sure those of you who have gotten them have points that are valid for you, but I just don't see the necessity of it, and in addition to not wanting to jeopardize this pregnancy in any way (this could be my last shot - I only have one fallopian tube due to a previous ectopic), I just don't see the point in stressing out before the baby gets here. What will be, will be.
  • Options
    The point for some of us is being in a small enough town that certain birth defects will require giving birth in an entirely city, which requires significant advanced planning. Also it can mean getting a different health insurance plan, etc.Whether to continue the pregnancy is not the only issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"