Breastfeeding
Options

Any runners out there?

I am really frustrated with the way my body looks post-baby.  While I knew that it wouldn't look exactly the way it did pre-pregnancy, I wasn't expecting what I ended up with.  I was a pretty avid runner before I got pregnant.  Somewhere around 16 or so weeks pregnant I started to feel very awkward and uncomfortable when I ran so I switched to walking.  I still walk but I feel like my muscle tone is pretty poor.

I want to get back into running so I have a few questions:

1)  How did you start?  I want to make sure that my supply doesn't tank.  I know to keep hydrated and not to start any marathons, but does anyone have any experience with what distances they started with and were successful at continuing to EBF?

2)  support- how do you get it?  My doctor feels that my bout with mastitis before I had Jackson was due to a sports bra that was too tight that I wore when I went hiking with my hubby.  I definitely don't want to go through that again- any tips on a supportive yet not too restrictive sports bra?  Or should I just go with a nursing bra and deal with the movement?

TIA!

Re: Any runners out there?

• Options

I EBF and have a 5 month old. I've been running since 6 weeks PP without any supply issues. I started with 2 miles, and now run 3-4 miles at a time, a couple times a week. I have to wear 2 sports bras to tame the boobs (they're out of control), but I make sure to only wear the tight bras while running and take them off as soon as I'm finished to allow "air flow" back in.

Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I ran thruout my pregnancy - up until 37 weeks, 5 miles a few times a week. I started again 6 weeks post partum and felt pretty out of shape. I started slow just trying to work on my endurance rather than speed and it really only took 4 weeks or so to get back into my groove. I'm still EBF and my LO is 8 mos and I run 5-6 miles 3x/week.

The first few months I wore 2 sports bras under a tank, and now I'm down to 1 sports bra and a tank with some built in support and have never had any issues. In the early days I would feed LO before I went for a run so I could be as comfortable as possible. Now it doesn't matter if I feed him before or not.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am using an Anita sports bra that is pretty snug.  I went to Intimacy to be properly fitted.  Without it, I can't even walk quickly, much less jog.  I'm not really a ld runner, but in terms of overall fitness and appearance, I'm still struggling at 14 months pp.  Though, I have started to embrace the changes that gave me my daughter.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Oh - and one more thing  - movement is BAD, BAD, BAD.  If you're moving, you're causing permanent damage to your breast tissue.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagecchill01:
    I am using an Anita sports bra that is pretty snug.  I went to Intimacy to be properly fitted.  Without it, I can't even walk quickly, much less jog.  I'm not really a ld runner, but in terms of overall fitness and appearance, I'm still struggling at 14 months pp.  Though, I have started to embrace the changes that gave me my daughter.

i like this line. I am struggling to embrace the stretchmarks and the belly/muffin top. i have resolved to start going to the gym again and go back to running. i wanna puke when i see myself in the mirror at times. but then again, DH reminds me that it is from this "beautiful" body is where the most wonderful blessing came about

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options

I ran throughout my pregnancy, up until a few days before I delivered. However, I slowed WAY down and only went shorter distances (2-3 miles) toward the end. I did have to take 6 weeks off after the birth, but honestly I wouldn't have had time to run anyway! I am back into it, but I am still only going shorter distances, mainly due to time constraints, but it's also good to build back up. Once Nora can ride in the jogging stroller, I'll start doing longer distances again.

As for sports bras, check out Moving Comfort's line. They are very supportive and come in cup and band sizes, so they fit right (which may help with your issue, but not sure). 

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"