Northern California Babies
Options

I CANNOT get baby to sleep past 45 minutes!

I have tried everything...sleeping in bouncy, swing, carseat, crib, PNP newborn napper.  Sleeping with vibrations, white noise, pacifier.  I've also tried going in there around 35 minutes and putting my hand on his tummy to help him through the transition.  I've tried giving the pacifier at the first cry.  I've even let him cry a few times!  He's only gone back to sleep a few times. He goes to sleep on his own just fine now (thank goodness!), but cannot get past that 45 minutes during the day! Is this just a developmental thing or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I CANNOT get baby to sleep past 45 minutes!

• Options
    This is totally normal at his age. the naps are short and frequent. they don't sleep longer until 4 or so months. The first nap that gets longer is the morning nap, then the afternoon nap consolidates.Some may develop their naps earlier but Elena never slept more than 40 minutes at time at his age. Did you read Healthy Sleep Habits Healthy Child? It talks about all those milestones. Very useful information for what is to be expected at each stage. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageamyfelice:
    This is totally normal at his age. the naps are short and frequent. they don't sleep longer until 4 or so months. The first nap that gets longer is the morning nap, then the afternoon nap consolidates.Some may develop their naps earlier but Elena never slept more than 40 minutes at time at his age. Did you read Healthy Sleep Habits Healthy Child? It talks about all those milestones. Very useful information for what is to be expected at each stage. 

Amy said it better than I could have (and she should - lol).  :)   Doesn't make it any easier.  Those first 4 months are brutal.   Hang in there!

Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks ladies...it's definitely gotten easier now that he falls asleep fairly well on his own, but this 45 minute nap is killing me.  The problem is that he's not ready to eat yet when he wakes up that soon and by the time he's hungry, it's been an hour and it's time for him to sleep again...and so begins the overtired cycle!  Oh well...I guess we'll get it soon enough.

I have read HSHHC but I guess I don't remember reading about 45 minute naps.  Now that I think about it, his morning nap is longer so I suppose we're on the right track! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I feel you! just this weekend at 3.5 months Dylan is doing better with his naps. He is actually in his crib instead of the moby ;-)

this is what works for us and I know people will think i'm an awful mother. but I put Dylan down on his stomach. He HATED the swaddle and he had awful gas pains. Being on his belly really soothes him. He has learned early to sooth himself with his hands. Anyway when he wakes up after 45min I help him put the paci back in, and either pat his back or butt to get him through the next sleep cylce. i also let him fuss himself back down if I time it just right.

Good luck!!

• Options
    DS is almost 5 months and he rarely sleeps for longer than 45 min (unless he's alseep on me.) He's just now transitioning to 3 naps, so hopefully this means longer stretches. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"