TTC After a Loss 6 Months+
Options

I need to do a poll

I have a long plane trip next Tuesday, and am pondering calling the RE and seeing if we can just try to go ahead and schedule a D&C now for after the u/s on Friday so that I don't have to worry about misoprostol 4 days before a long (western US to Europe) plane trip - especially given that I always have a phase 1 and phase 2 of my m/c's and don't really want phase 2, aka the sac-passing phase, to happen on the plane. Or to still be bleeding a lot. So if I don't already have a D&C booked for Friday, I'd maybe potentially possibly be able to have one on Monday, but that's the day before I leave and DH is traveling, so let's see, who do I want to have pick me up after this? Oh, right, no one. The other option is to hope it just doesn't happen naturally till I get back, March 18. Since this doesn't appear to be a BO, that seems unlikely.

So if I have the D&C on Friday, it'd be quick and dirty and I'd still have 4 days till I leave. So for curiosity's sake, how long did you bleed for after your D&C? And spotting? Just trying to figure out what to expect and how to plan my miscarriage to not interfere too much with my trip.

Re: I need to do a poll

• Options

I hope it's okay for me to post here.

Colinda, I'm so sad to find that you're dealing with this. It makes me so mad and breaks my heart. I am so so sorry.

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/littlecreature

Scroll all the way down. It was at 10.5 weeks, I don't kow if that makes a difference.

+++
  • Options

I bled/spotted for about a week post d&c. It was never very heavy, but I will say the day or so after I was sore and had a lot of very painful gas. Other than that, it was over and done with, physically, very quickly.

Also, fvck and sh!t that this is even something you have to ask.

:::hugs:::

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm so sorry you are going through this. If I lived closer I would pick you up after it. I had a d&c after delivering because one of the placentas was stuck, so not sure if my bleeding would have been different from that. I bled a good amount that night after everything, but in the morning it was light bleeding/spotting for about a week.

Jenn

image 3 IUI's all BFN

IVF#1 BFN IVF#2 BFP, loss at 19 weeks FET#1 BFN IVF#3 BFP, m/c FET#2 BFN

Missing our twins Zachary and Madison, lost at 19 weeks on 11/13/09, edd 4/9/10

BFP 7/17/10, m/c 7/25/10, edd 3/25/11

Ectopic, lost left tube 4/20/11, edd 12/6/11

my blog

• Options
    I bled very lightly off and on for two weeks. It was way less than a normal period. My physical recovery from the d&c was very easy and not very painful at all. I felt normal physically the next day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First of all, I'm sorry you even have to think this, let alone you know how your body does with the misoprostol. Next, II don't have any advice, my mine have happened naturally. But I don't see why it would be a problem to have it scheduled, you could ask and the worst they say is no. Right? Or Maybe you can move the u/s to Wednesday and explain to them the circumstances of it all?
  • Options

I hate that you have to think about this let alone make this decision.

for my d&c (at 8 weeks), I actually didn't bleed after at all. there was spotting that day and then not at all after. I know for most ladies this isn't the norm, usually there is light spotting/bleeding for a few days/week. having had both natural and d&c, from a time/emotion/side effect/waiting game sense, I am glad I had a d&c the second time. There is no right choice though - it's just personal.

I am so glad you are taking that trip!

m/c#1 07/16/08 (11 weeks), m/c#2 10/10/08 (8 weeks). and then nothing since except every test possible (no answers). IUI#1 and #2: BFNs Super lucky to be buddies with Peetie. Our out of nowhere, surprise DD born 5/29/2011
  • Options
    I hate that you have to make this decision.  I bled for over 2 weeks after my D&C - varied from spotting to moderate bleeding.  I guess best case scenario is to try to do it on Friday.  I felt pretty good the day afterwards and probably could have gone to work, but I took an extra day off.  I hope that you can find the best solution and still enjoy your trip.  Thinking of you!  ((hugs))
  • Options

Well I'm a big fan of the Wham Bam Thank you D&C approach so I'm a bit biased but I vote D&C. Also - do you know they can get you in Friday? I'm sure you've varified with the doc I'd just hate to have some sort of scheduling problem and have to wait till next week.

Ditto the gas pain that'll bring you to your knees but it's only a day or two at the most. The worst of the three times I still only bleed two days and spotted 2-3 days after that. A Friday D&C would probably leave you recovered by Tuesday or Wednesday at the lastest.

• Options
    It seems like your best option is to see if you can schedule for Friday. I'm sorry you're still dealing with this :(
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Options

I bled a good bit the first and second days, some for the next couple and then it got light after that.  I was sore, bloated, emotional and tired all weekend.  I had my D&C on a Friday as well and I I stayed in bed for most of the weekend.  I think I called off Monday too, but that was more emotional.  Then I went back to work on Tuesday.

I really hate that you have to deal with this at all.  This just svcks!  I am so sorry.     

• Options
    With my first two D&Cs, I bled a lot.  With the second one, I passed huge clots and had contractions. It was awful.

BUT this past time my RE did it instead of my OB.  He did a wonderful job.  I had purchased huge pads and barely needed a pantyliner.  He had told me I wouldn't bleed a lot, but I didn't believe him.  He gave me the pill (misoprotol?) afterwards so that if anything was left in there, it would get out, and I still didn't bleed much.  It leads me to the conclusion that D&Cs are the best way to go as long as the doctor doing them is competent! 
  • Options
    I say try for Friday.  I think this sucks and it would be nice to have a wonderful relaxing trip to look forward to.  So sorry hun.
  • Options
    I bleed a little bit the first day and that was it. I had some cramping that day too. Physically, I probably could've worked the next day.

BFP 12/18/2009. HB 1/4/2010. NO HB 1/18/2010. D&C 1/19/2010
    April 2011 IUI #1 BFN. High FSH and other issues.
    May 2011 Chose to build our family through adoption
    September 2011 Actively waiting for a match
    11/26/11 Surprise BFP * DD born 7/23/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Huuge hugs. I'm so sorry you're going this. I had a D&C to terminate at the end of the 1st trimester. I bled for about 2 weeks afterwards. I didn't start bleeding until about 2 days afterwards, then it was like the gates of blood hell opened. I bled heavily (not fill a pad in an hour, but moreso than a period or my c/p bleeding) for about a week, then it tapered off to regular period for another week, and then postting for a few days after that. However, I think I'm in the minority...most people who have D&Cs report less bleeding. I don't know if that is because mine was a termination, and a bit later than most mmc D&Cs, or just the way my body works. I dunno.

I haven't experienced a natural m/c before (other than a c/p), so I can't compare the pain/bleeding of the natural to the D&C.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    Thanks for all the replies girls, I appreciate it. And no, I have no idea if they can even fit me in on Friday - complicating that, my appt is late afternoon. But it's still worth a shot. 
  • Options
    I can't answer your questions about bleeding following a d&c, but honestly that seems like the best option if it's possible.  I think you will feel some relief to be able to go on your trip and not have to worry about it, especially trying to pass the sack on the plane, that would just be horrible.  So many hugs.
    imageimage
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle!
    April 2011 CP @ 5 weeks
  • Options
    imagemlmtgg:

I hate that you have to think about this let alone make this decision.

for my d&c (at 8 weeks), I actually didn't bleed after at all. there was spotting that day and then not at all after. I know for most ladies this isn't the norm, usually there is light spotting/bleeding for a few days/week. having had both natural and d&c, from a time/emotion/side effect/waiting game sense, I am glad I had a d&c the second time. There is no right choice though - it's just personal.

I am so glad you are taking that trip!

This is my experience also, for both d&c's. My first missed m/c was found at 10w5d, grew to 8w. Second missed m/c was found at about 6w. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

• Options
    I only bled for about 3 hours.  No joke.  But I started spotting again about 10 days later for a couple days.  I'm sorry you're fvcking dealing with this.
    Connor Thomas 6/6/08. Discovered missed miscarriage at 17 wks 3 days, D&C 11/25/09. Please, please, please - BFP 5/21/11, EDD 2/1/11. Beta@12DPO=52, Beta@14DPO=158. U/S 7/7/11 shows strong baby measuring a couple days ahead!!! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I got nothing, as my miscarriage was an at-home horror show.

But I'd second the idea of seeing if they can squeeze in your ultrasound a couple days earlier and get you scheduled for the D&C ASAP. Why *** around?

12 long, hard years of TTC-
    Miscarriages, losses, lots of treatments & drugs & IVF

Natural BFP (WTF?!) - 06/04/11 ~ lots of complication and drama, but sweet baby Adele born 02/07/12!

BFP #million -another girl for us! EDD - 05-08-15 (but will come early)

• Options

I bled pretty heavily the day of and the day after (though I never passed any clots). Then I spotted to greater and lesser degrees for four freaking weeks. Yup, an entire month of wearing pads. My body is crazy, though. It took me 9 weeks post d&c to get my period, which is the longest I've ever heard of in my time on the bump.

I was also SERIOUSLY cramping the day of and pretty crampy the after. But after that, I felt physically fine, other than the spotting.

BFP #1 10/17/09: missed m/c at 7 weeks; BFP #2 10/22/10: chemical pregnancy; BFP #3: 1/28/11

Baby Boy Smudgie born 10/4/11

<a href="http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/zz298/triple_sevens/?action=view

• Options

Is there any way they can move your u/s up a day or two?  That would give you more room for either the D&C or the cytotec.  If not, I'd probably be inclined to see if they can just schedule a D&C on Friday, just in case.

I hate that you even have to think about this!  For my first D&C, I bled for about a week, but honestly after a day or so, it was really light and tolerable.  After the 2nd, I only bled for a day.

Missed m/c 11.09 | Missed m/c 3.10 | We miss you & love you so.
    ~ ~ ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Formerly toddandjulie
  • Options

I'm so sorry, Colinda.  ((HUGS))

With my D&C (done at 11w), I had a day of light bleeding & a few days of spotting.  A little cramping the day of the procedure--I took one extra-strength dose of ibuprofen & that was enough.  And that's pretty much it, physically.  It was quick, painless & efficient.  

I wish you didn't have to go through this again or make these decisions.  :(  Best wishes & you are in my thoughts... 

• Options
    I'm not sure if you made up your mind yet, but I just wanted to say I've been thinking of you hon.  I've had both, twice.  If I were in your shoes at this moment, I'd just want it done and over with.  I bleed/spot for about a week after both D&Cs.  I got Tylenol 3 and used them to sleep my sorrow away - I didn't really have pain after the procedures.  ((((hugs)))
  • Options

For both of my D&C's (10w and 11w), I bled for about 2 weeks. Moderate for the first few days, and then on and off spotting for the rest.

If you can get in on Friday, I'd do it then. ((HUGS))

* PG #1 2/26/09: mm/c 4/14/09 at 10w4d | PG #2 8/5/09: mm/c 9/29/09 at 11w3d (boy) * 
    * CP's 4/14/10, 9/1/10, 4/19/11, 5/24/11, 10/14/13, 11/16/13 *
    * Ectopic 1/17/14 - nothing on u/s at 6w4d * 
    * PG #7 BFP 12/21/11 - DD born 8/31/12 * 
    * DH Dx'd with balanced translocation in 2011 *

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'd book the D&C.  I was back to work the next day.  Spotted pantiliner level for about a week.  Misoprostol, on the other hand, didn't work for me (venus fete trap indeed) so just dragged things out.  Sorry you're having to make these decisions at all.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"