March 2011 Moms
Options

Diaper Genie

I'm a first time mom, anyone have experience with the diaper genie or similar products on the market? I'm looking for opinions on whether it's a good thing to have or if I'd be better off spending the money on something else we need before LO is here. Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Diaper Genie

• Options
    I'm a first time mom as well and that's one thing i'm holding off on until I feel like I need it.  I plan to change the diapers on the main level during the day and toss diapers out from there.  In the middle of the night, I was just going to place them in the hall bath until the morning.  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have a diaper champ that I found for half price on Craigslist (I didn't need to pay full price for something that is going to hold poop.)  It is nice because you can use regular trash bags.  For the first year or so we put all the diapers into it, but after DS really started to get into solid food it would stink up the room pretty fast so now we only put wet diapers into it and take dirty ones directly to the trash.

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A metal foot pedal trashcan would work better and cost less money. The diaper genie we had for my ex's kids was always breaking and stunk up the room fast plus the bags get expensive after awhile.
  • Options

imageon_the_move:
    We have a diaper champ that I found for half price on Craigslist (I didn't need to pay full price for something that is going to hold poop.)  It is nice because you can use regular trash bags.  For the first year or so we put all the diapers into it, but after DS really started to get into solid food it would stink up the room pretty fast so now we only put wet diapers into it and take dirty ones directly to the trash.

This!  I'm a first time mom, but by going on my sisters experience, we got the Diaper Champ because you can use you're own regular trash bags.  We plan on taking the really bad smelly poopy diapers straight to the garage garbage, but putting just wet diapers in there for convience and empting it daily/every other day depending on how we find fit. 

HarLynn's mama
  • Options

These products creep me out.  They are plastic, and plastic holds smells (think of your leftovers in tupperware!).  Also, the thought of "storing" poop in your LO's room is gross to me. I know I wouldn't want to sleep with poop in my room, regardless of what you put it in.

We have 3 levels in our house, and I am just about the laziest mamma you will meet and I have been able to make it without one of these just fine.

Pee diapers go in the bathroom trash (like 3 steps from LO's room). They can be taken out 2x a week.

Poop diapers go in the kitchen trash (it is taken out every day). If it is really bad, I throw it out in the garage trash can (or if I am feeling really lazy, I just hang it in a grocery bag on the door knob in the garage) 

If it is the middle of the night and I am changing a diaper that is dirty, I just toss it down the steps and put it in the trash in the morning.  Plus, once DS was sleeping through the night, I really didn't have that many overnight dirty diapers to deal with, so it wasn't a big deal.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"