March 2011 Moms
Options

Why do people send LO things for their sports team?

Anyone else experience this? We just got a package in the mail from DH's family with 3 outfits of their football team. I have nothing against the team but I also don't see myself going out of my way to dress LO in these either. I feel bad for being ungrateful for the gift but I would never push my sports team on another expecting mom. Flame away if you feel so inclined!

Re: Why do people send LO things for their sports team?

• Options
    I was just thinking about how grateful I was that nobody had tried this yet. I'm not into organized sports, and my fiance isn't either. I would probably return or give away anything that was sports team related if someone gave us something related to any sport, or sport team.
  • Options
    I live in AL...where college football is huge.  Auburn & Alabama are the two huge rival teams here.  Well, I am an Auburn fan, and DH is an Alabama fan.  We just kind of agreed to not really dress our kids either way...no big deal.  Well, when I was pregnant with DD#1, my FIL and SMIL bought us Alabama clothes...out of pure spite.  They got such a kick out of it, and I just thought it was stupid...it is not that big of a deal to me, and they could've spent the money on something that we could have actually used.  (Oh, and the onesies they bought while I was still pregnant were 24M!)
    Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LOL, my DH's biz partner got our 2 year old a Lions' jersey even though we're Packers fans.  And then he didn't understand why we didn't have DS wear it every Sunday!  :)
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagelovesBup:
    I was just thinking about how grateful I was that nobody had tried this yet. I'm not into organized sports, and my fiance isn't either. I would probably return or give away anything that was sports team related if someone gave us something related to any sport, or sport team.

I wish I could return or donate them but unfortunately DH feels some sort of loyalty to the team because that is where his family lives. He also didn't appreciate the side eye I gave him when he opened the packageHmm oh well, LO can where them when he's out w/ daddy 

• Options

imageSeasideBride06:
    I live in AL...where college football is huge.  Auburn & Alabama are the two huge rival teams here.  Well, I am an Auburn fan, and DH is an Alabama fan.  We just kind of agreed to not really dress our kids either way...no big deal.  Well, when I was pregnant with DD#1, my FIL and SMIL bought us Alabama clothes...out of pure spite.  They got such a kick out of it, and I just thought it was stupid...it is not that big of a deal to me, and they could've spent the money on something that we could have actually used.  (Oh, and the onesies they bought while I was still pregnant were 24M!)

This is the same thing that DH and I have agreed on. He's a Gator fan, and I'm a Dawgs fan. We're both pretty avid, heavy duty fans too. We have neutralized our home and our daughter until she chooses for herself. People still gave us Gator stuff. That I accidentally lost. ;-) I'm not putting my daughter in that stuff!!! If she can't wear Red and Black, she's sure not wearing Orange and blue! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am the exact opposite. DH and I are HUGE sports fans, we root for the Rams, Cardinals and Blues. And we got... nothing for LO. I think it's because she is a girl which makes me even more sad :(
  • Options
    imageCupidsCuter:

imageSeasideBride06:

This is the same thing that DH and I have agreed on. He's a Gator fan, and I'm a Dawgs fan. We're both pretty avid, heavy duty fans too. We have neutralized our home and our daughter until she chooses for herself. People still gave us Gator stuff. That I accidentally lost. ;-) I'm not putting my daughter in that stuff!!! If she can't wear Red and Black, she's sure not wearing Orange and blue! 

I love this! My fiance is a Dawgs fan (I just moved to Atlanta from the North so I'm still getting used to college football all together. I'm sure our daughter will be wearing plenty of Dawgs clothing next fall!

We're both big baseball fans- I'm a Phillies fan and he's a Braves fan. The week he found out we were expecting he bought a little McCann jersey. My parents heard that and immediately brought us an Utley jersey and a Phillies romper. I obviously loved this, but I can't imagine how I'd react if someone sent us a Mets onesie or an Auburn onesie!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    half of our shower gifts were sports related!  This kid will be born a Pats/Sox fan, but we like it that way.  Send us a Yankees onesie, though... it will be used as a wipe Wink
  • Options

imageLynsiBHM:
    half of our shower gifts were sports related!  This kid will be born a Pats/Sox fan, but we like it that way.  Send us a Yankees onesie, though... it will be used as a wipe Wink

My issue isn't that they are sending sports related stuff, it's that they are sending things for their team when they are aware of the teams DH and I are fans of. I would be thrilled if they sent us Oregon related clothes (a team both DH and I are fans of) but they are sending clothes for a team that DH has little interest in and that I have absolutely no interest in.

• Options

We got an outfit for DS from a cousin that was for DH rival team.  I don't think the cousin knew at all since they aren't close, but I agree it is really strange.  I donated it right before Christmas because I couldn't see us ever really using it.

Now we do have some onesies from DH college from friends, but they got them because they knew he had gone there.

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Everyone in DH's family is a Yankee's fan- I personally, can't stand them. However, we received 2 adorable yankee outfits for her, and I'll definitley be putting LO in them. I may dislike the team, but the outfits are too cute for her not to wear. I guess it's just personal preference.
  • Options

So I'm not the only one huh? DH's aunt and uncle gave us Bears onesies with no receipt, and it's just weird to me. They know we're Colts fans (and I'm hardcore), and so I feel like they just wasted their money because obviously I'm never going to put it on my little girl. I think it would maybe be funny if you included receipts, but otherwise I don't understand why you would do it because you're just wasting your money. I don't know anyone who is a Bears fan with a little baby girl either so I can't even pass them along.

The only Colts-related thing we got was a Build-a-Bear in a Colts outfit... SO cute! DH is a Notre Dame fan so we also got a little ND shirt for her too and bib. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"