Adoption

Gotcha day?

Have any of you considered celebrating this?

Growing up we always just celebrated birthdays since we were adopted as infants (I was 10 days old my brother 3 days old) but a friend of mine since elementary and his bio sister were IA and were ages 3 and 1. They celebrated their birthdays but also their "Gotcha Day". Apparently after they flew home they went out to eat at an local italian restaurant and they each got a stuffed teddy bear, so each year their parents took them to the restaurant on that day and gave them a stuffed teddy bear. They are now 22 and 20 and come home from college on that day to continue tradition. I just always think it's a really cool story and figured some of you could relate!

Re: Gotcha day?

• So I'm a total lurker but I have three younger adopted siblings and we celebrate their gotcha days every year. My middle sister (she was 10 when she came home) always builds a new teddy bear and the younger two (they were 8 and 10) choose something different every year. I think that it makes them feel extra special that them coming into our family was so important that we celebrate it every year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is something we plan on doing one day actually!

Funny enough, i just got chatting with a woman a couple of weeks ago. Come to find out, she was adopted. If i had to guess, she was probably in her 50's. She said to me.. "if i can give you any advice, it would be to celebrate not only your LO's birthday, but the day everything was finalized."

She told me that was the best part of growing up for her was that day. 

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, we plan to celebrate "adoption day" in our family.  To me, adoption day is the day we finalized and became legal, since that was only a couple weeks after we first met M.  We don't know how we plan to celebrate, but I'm pretty sure it will be an immediate family only, intimate celebration, as opposed to his birthday.
  • Growing up I had a friend who was adopted and she celebrated her anniversary every year with her parents, which was the day she was adopted.  Such a beautiful and special tradition!
  • incidently, I remember a while back I saw "gotcha day" was not the best term to use, but I don't know why. I've always thought it was cute. anyone got the dish on this?

I think it's a neat thing to celebrate. Hopefully someday we'll get one of those parties ;-) 

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • We plan on doing something special each year to celebrate the day DD's adoption was finalized. Even if it's just going out to dinner.
  • We plan on celebrating Noah's adoption day every year as the day his adoption is finalized.  It will be during the summer some time so we will probably just do something small like a picnic etc.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We celebrate "gotcha day" as the day it was finalized in court.  I know IA is different but thats what we do with our DA!

ETA: I like the term "gotcha day" so even if its not politically correct (didn't know it wasn't anwyays haha) I'm totally using it.  I think its sweet!   

"I have four children. Two are adopted. I forget which two. -Bob Constantine

"All for Love,' a Saviour prayed 'Abba Father have Your way. Though they know not what they do...Let the Cross draw men to You...."

• imagelrrb:

ETA: I like the term "gotcha day" so even if its not politically correct (didn't know it wasn't anwyays haha) I'm totally using it.  I think its sweet!   

Me too! 

• imagelrrb:

I didn't know it was incorrect :-S sorry if it offended anybody! That's just what they always called it :-)

• I think it's just personal preference.  For some families who've adopted older kids, I think "gotcha day" may just sound a little intense.  I believe some people think it sounds like they are whisking the child away to safety or grabbing them and claiming them as their own, which is not an association they want to foster.

We hold M all the time and say "gotcha," but he's always worried about someone kidnapping him or the people he loves (he was told if he doesn't behave, the scary/bad people would come and steal him away), so we don't want him to associate his adoption with that on any level.  I honestly don't think "gotcha day" is hurtful or offensive in any way, I think that for us, "adoption day" is just preferable.

• We will finalize in the next couple of weeks and I want to celebrate that day every year for sure. I don't know how we plan to do so, maybe just a dinner out every year. I don't know that we will call it Gotcha Day either, nothing against it we just never have.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"