Breastfeeding
Options

3 friggin weeks

destroyed nipples, and 3 weeks of nursing in severe pain.... and FINALLY dd seems to be getting her latch right. She was obviously latching waaaay too shallow. I did everything I could think of to fix it.

Did her mouth just get bigger or what? Whatever, it feels so much better, now my nips just need to heal and maybe I can stop wanting to cry just thinking about nursing her :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 3 friggin weeks

• Options

IMO a lot of it is indeed how big their mouths are.  I had to do the 'sandwich' (pinch about an inch away from my nipple for him to get enough in his mouth) to get him latched on correctly.  And I would often latch / unlatch / relatch a couple times before it felt right.

Hang in there, I had a horrible beginning and week 5/6 it TOTALLY out of the blue stopped hurting!  It'll get better!!

• Options

Oh Reese, I feel for you! We are in the same boat. I am wracking my brain every single day and trying everything I can think of to make nursing more comfortable. I am hoping that sometime soon (hopefully before the 3-week growth spurt), this pain will go away. 

Did your DD pinch a lot? I know for us that is part of the problem, especially when my boobs are too full. I have a letdown before he even latches on! 

Also, how is the initial latch-on pain now? 

I do think a lot of it has to do with them getting bigger and literally outgrowing some of the issues. That was the case with DS1. It took a long 8 weeks but after that it was smooth sailing!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagedivakotka:

Oh Reese, I feel for you! We are in the same boat. I am wracking my brain every single day and trying everything I can think of to make nursing more comfortable. I am hoping that sometime soon (hopefully before the 3-week growth spurt), this pain will go away. 

Did your DD pinch a lot? I know for us that is part of the problem, especially when my boobs are too full. I have a letdown before he even latches on! 

I do think a lot of it has to do with them getting bigger and literally outgrowing some of the issues. That was the case with DS1. It took a long 8 weeks but after that it was smooth sailing!

This is SO true! 

OP - the first 2-4 weeks are the worst and then like PP said, by 5-6 weeks it's like someone flips a switch and it doesn't hurt anymore.  Hang in there :-)

• Options

I can relate! Finally at week 5 we are doing better.  Hang in there!  using lanolin on my nipples helps.

• Options
    I was the same way at 3 weeks, but around the 4th week it stopped hurting.  Now it is so easy.  It does get better with time.  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh those first couple weeks are so painful.  Right around 6 weeks everything changed and there was no pain at all.  Now he'll slip down to the nipple when he's falling asleep and I cant believe I made it that long with my nipples feeling like that. 
  • Options
    imagedivakotka:

She doesn't pinch now, but did for a while when my letdown was so fast. 

The initial pain is like 75% better just today!! I am so happy. 

I was never going to give up, but I just kept hoping each day would be better. I used a shield with DD1 cause she wouldn't latch without it, and I still had a ton of pain, so this was just 100000 times worse. 

Thank goodness, cause DD has been nursing ALL.DAY.LONG.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"