Washington Babies
Options

Eczema :(

My poor baby Will :(

He's got eczema on his head and is getting some pretty bad spots on his body.  We're going to try Soy formula for a week to see if that makes any difference, along with some new prescription ointments and a new lotion (Vanicream - anyone heard of it?)

I don't like any of the answers of why it's happening.

If it's diet - well BLEH!  I don't want to have to toss out the 9 gallons I've got in the freezer.  Having a toddler around makings EPing HARD and I've got an emotional connection to that milk!  And growing up with food allergies SUCKS for Mama and baby.

If it's not diet - well BLEH!  Then is he just going to have to live with it?!?  I haven't stopped swaddling him (which he hates) because he rubs his little head all night long and won't sleep. 

My poor little guy just rubs his little forhead and eyebrows until they're nearly raw :(:(  It just breaks my heart.

He's also a terrible napper - I can't get him to nap longer than 20 - 30 minutes during the day.  I think he wakes up because he itches :(:(

Re: Eczema :(

• Options

A lot of kids who are allergic to dairy are also allergic to soy.  If the soy formula doesn't clear things up, try a formula that's both soy and dairy-free.

Poor baby:(.  I hope you're able to figure out what's causing it!

• Options
    Awww! Poor baby and poor mama. My niece had bad eczema when she was an infant as well. I remember how hard it was to see how miserable it made her. I can't offer any advice, just support. I hope you are able to find a good way to take care of it and ease his itching. I'm sorry you both have to go through this. {{hugs}}
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic EDD: September 22, 2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Poor guy :(. How often are you bathing him and with what soap?Maybe only soapy wash him every few days, otherwise water wash him or sponge bath. And use an incredibly mild soap. I like CA baby. Try changing your laundry dteregent, even to a different brand of gentle, if youre already doing that. I'm hearing great things about cj's BUTTer lotion. I just got some for ds and myself. I've battled eczema my entire life. W started getting some when we started supplementing with formula., even though it's hypoallergenic, and the dr says thats not what causing it ( I don't believe it). I hope it clears up and his itchies go away soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have eczema too.. and it sucks.   Mine isn't diet related either its just there because it is, and it sucks.   I use vanicream too and it helps, but its not a magic cure,  I have used it for about 5 years though and its the best lotion I have found.    A few suggestions,  stop using soap.  ALL soap.  No shampoo on him, no body wash, no laundry detergent on his clothes, and absolutely no dryer sheets.    Since no longer using any kind of laundry detergent isnt very easy, then make sure you use the free and clear kind and run all your clothes through the rinse cycle twice, not just his, but everyone in the houses too, and I know I already said it but NO dryer sheets!!  Just throw them out, or else you might get tempted when your blankets start sparking =P

Also, luke warm baths instead of warm,  warm to hot water really irritates eczema so its best to avoid it if possible.  Make sure to slather him with Vanicream really well while his skin is still damp from his bath. 

Poor little guy!  I hope you guys are able to get it under control!  If you have any other questions feel free to ask!!

imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • Options

There are a lot of factors that you may not know that can cause eczema in babies.  And most of them have nothing to do with diet.

Tristen has had it since he was a new born, and it had nothing to do with the formula I was using.  He just had very sensitive skin.  

What kind of detergent do you use?  We use free and clear, and also free and clear dryer sheets. 

We also use(d) Cetaphil gentle body wash, and cream (for after his bath).  The Pedi said no baby wash, (yes even aveeno) and no Lotion only cream in a tub.  

Also, try putting a humidifier in the room he sleeps in, because it's winter and that's when most eczema is the worst.  The air is dry and brittle from the heat being on.  (Even my dog has eczema LOL).  

We've done all of this and have been doing it since he was around 6 months old (it took us that long to realize he had eczema), and with-in a month it was cleared up.  

HTH!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have no advice, but wanted to say poor baby Will and poor Mama.  That is no fun for either of you.  :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I haven't been bathing him at all.  The pedi & dermatologist have us washing his head with 3 different shampoos every night.  They seem to be helping his head somewhat.  When I do that, I strip him down and wipe him down with a wet washcloth and then immediately lotion him up.

I also lotion up his legs any time I'm doing a diaper change - he has little cracks between his toes :(

We are using free and clear laundry soap and hadn't been using any dryer sheets.

I haven't used any soaps on him, outside of cetaphil if he's had a really bad blow out and I just feel the need to use some sort of cleanser.

I have had a humidifier in his room the last couple of nights, he's been rather congested....so I'll keep that up.

I knew that the diet isn't a likely source in and of itself, but he's also having mucusy poop - so that's not a good sign.  Madelyn did as well, so we had her on soy until about 11 months, when it seemed to clear up for her.  I hope that's what happens for Will!

Keep the suggestions coming, if you have any - they sure help!

• Options

No real advice either, but I'm so sorry - poor little guy!

MissLaura posted something about this a bit ago as well, might search for her post.  I copied some advice I got from another mama friend whose son has eczema as well, it was some kind of anti itching med I think.

-Deborah

• Options

Ditto just Cetaphil wash and lotion.  Ditto that Aveeno "Natural" lotion was actually causing flare ups! I'd worry about the three different shampoos.   I'd bring it down to just water and see what happens, then re-introduce one at a time.

We wash all his clothes and my shirts in Planet, with a double rinse.

I don't wear wool or perfume, because both irritate his skin.

We use plain water for our wipes.

We use hyrdocortisone (sparingly) when he first gets a flare-up, and it takes care of it very quickly.  Plain (non-scented) petroleum jelly on his face also helps. 

We made no diet changes, and it's gotten way better over time. 

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Poor little Will.

I developed Dyshidrotic Eczema after Max was born. It really sucks. I get blisters and raw spots for no reason. Mine is exacerbated by topical ointments, soaps, and chemicals with strong fragrances, but it isn't caused by dairy or most things in a normal diet.

Do they have any idea what kind of eczema it is, or is that still under investigation?

I hope you figure out what is causing it, and that it isn't your milk. Hugs, mama!

The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• Options

Poor thing! I hate eczema! Our little guy had it really bad too. He had patches on both cheeks, his jaw line and under his chin that were really bad. He also has patches on his arms and legs.We tried all the Aveeno stuff, Cetaphil (that's what I use on my face as my daily lotion), etc. I was slathering the stuff on, and nothing was helping. Matter of fact, the Aveeno stuff was making it worse! Eventually he scratched his cheeks to the point where one of them cracked and was oozing and bleeding. I took him to the pedi and he said put hydrocortisone cream on it at night and in the morning. I did that for about 2 weeks, and it helped tremendously. One of my friends recommended Aquaphor, and I bought some since I didn't want to keep using the hydrocortisone cream every day. I slather it all over him after every bath and twice a day on his cheeks. We haven't had any issues since! That stuff is a miracle worker. No lie.

P.S. If you get Aquaphor, get the kind in the little tub with the blue lid.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"