Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Any suggestions or advice from BF/Ep

So I went to the OB today. Ive lost 19lbs so far! However, he seems to think the reason my nipples are sore is because of a yeast infection. So he prescribed diflucan  for the next two weeks.

I then came home and soaked all of K's pacis and nipples, and my pump parts in a bleach solution. Then  put them in boiling water for 10 mins.

We see his pedi on Thursday so I guess they will decide if he has thrush or not then....

I just want it to go away and I dont it come back!

Any suggestions or advice?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any suggestions or advice from BF/Ep

• Options

I'll be honest, I've never heard of sore nipples being linked to a yeast infection, but that's just me. What other signs/symptoms did you have that would lead your doctor to believe you had a yeast infection, besides sore nipples? 

• Options
    imageRubineLime:

I'll be honest, I've never heard of sore nipples being linked to a yeast infection, but that's just me. What other signs/symptoms did you have that would lead your doctor to believe you had a yeast infection, besides sore nipples? 

They are really red and sometimes they feel like they are burning. He said he wasnt 100 percent sure but he wanted me to take the med anyways- just to be on the safe side.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagevahokiegirl:
    imageRubineLime:

They are really red and sometimes they feel like they are burning. He said he wasnt 100 percent sure but he wanted me to take the med anyways- just to be on the safe side. 

But I mean, did he do any type of vaginal exam that would conclude a yeast infection? Sorry I'm just really confused as to how sore nipples = yeast infection.

How long have they been sore? Could you be having an allergic reaction to a cream or lanolin product that you were using to combat the soreness?

If you pump, did you try switching to silicone breast shields instead of the hard plastic ones? 

• Options
    imageRubineLime:
    imagevahokiegirl:
    imageRubineLime:

But I mean, did he do any type of vaginal exam that would conclude a yeast infection? Sorry I'm just really confused as to how sore nipples = yeast infection.

How long have they been sore? Could you be having an allergic reaction to a cream or lanolin product that you were using to combat the soreness?

If you pump, did you try switching to silicone breast shields instead of the hard plastic ones? 

I have an yeast infection on my nipples.
  • Options
    imageRubineLime:

It's called thrush and it can come when there's an overgrowth of yeast on the nipples. When you're bf'ing you and your baby can give it back to each other so both mom and baby need simultaneous treatment. It can be persistent and hard to treat. Signs can include nipples burning between feedings and white tongue on baby that won't wipe away.

I had to go on antibiotics 3 weeks pp due to an infection of my incision and I had to make sure I ate lots of yogurt to prevent thrush. Some bfers take probiotics to prevent it as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When you have a "yeast infection" on your nipples it's called thrush... very common. You can get a yeast infection pretty much anywhere, not just in the vaj. If you have it then baby does too--maybe call the pedi sooner to her LO's treatment started so that he doesn't give it back to you.
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

imagesaraboston:
    When you have a "yeast infection" on your nipples it's called thrush... very common. You can get a yeast infection pretty much anywhere, not just in the vaj. If you have it then baby does too--maybe call the pedi sooner to her LO's treatment started so that he doesn't give it back to you.

Yeah I pretty much feel like a tool for not knowing that. I suppose I'm quite fortunate not having ever dealt with that kind of ailment. OP, my apologies.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"