Houston Babies

When to move to booster?

I'm not really thinking about it but today I noticed a lot of kiddos at MDO have boosters. I'm pretty sure Reagan is bigger then the kids I saw using them. I was a little surprised by it as it hasn't even crossed my mind. She's just fine in her car seat.
Crazy Christmas Kids!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When to move to booster?

• At G's two year checkup last month he told me that at 40 inches he could move to a booster with a seatbelt. That's only 4 more inches from where he's at right now, which is not going to happen. He just doesn't seem big enough for a regular seat belt. I turned him FF at one, but there is no way he's just going in a booster with a seatbelt this early. He's in a five point booster and he'll stay in that until he's 15. Wink

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have read several articles that said carseats are generally safer than boosters. My boys will be in car seats until they exceed the limits. Frankly, there are some parents who just can't wait to make it to the next milestone, turning forward facing super early comes to mind, and probably just go for the booster as soon as they can, regardless of whether or not it's the best decision. Also, maybe some of them carpool and boosters are easier when having multiples?
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess at least they are using boosters. I about died when one day a girl, probably 4, got into the front seat with nothing.......................
    Crazy Christmas Kids!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My pedi says 4 years and 40 pounds.  My girls will be in the 5-point for awhile.

I know some have switched to save space.  Or because their child could put themselves in by themselves.  Or because they thought it was "time" even though their child was under the recommmended age/size. 

A lot of my friends are shocked we aren't moving Mia to a booster.  It would save us from having to buy a van, but I just can't see how it is safe. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageM&M614:

My pedi says 4 years and 40 pounds.

This is the law.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Two things to consider before making the switch (assuming you're meeting the law):

1. Make sure the kids are responsible enough not to mess with the shoulder strap.

2. Make sure the shoulder strap comes down low enough so their heads/necks clear the strap height.

We tried switching both kids to boosters.  We have a tiny car, and our Britax seats are so huge in there, the kids had hardly any room for their legs.  However, the shoulder straps are attached so high, they cut into the kids' cheeks; because of that, they kept taking the shoulder strap and putting it behind their bodies.  Kind of defeats the purpose.  So we had to switch them back.

However, we used them when we went to Houston last year (obviously not meeting the law with Hannah, but the car rental company didn't have a seat for her, even though we requested one ahead of time), and the seatbelts were fine and they didn't mess with them at all.

• For me, there's no way I'd switch until 4yr and 40lb. None. And more likely it'll be 5yr or more. But then she was RFing until 3.5y.

My BFF is not nearly as carseat conscious as I am. She turned her girls at 12mo, etc, so she's "normal" while I did extended RFing. Her girls are pretty big and very tall kids (at 4.5y they are outgrowing 6x clothes) and they outgrew their carseats around the time they turned 4. She considered boosters.

But the reason she went with a 5pt harness was more practical than safety related: When you are leaving somewhere fun and your kid is pitching a fit, how the heck do you keep them in their chair with just a lousy seatbelt? Her girls would wiggle out of that in 3 seconds flat. And since she has two she stands no chance of winning if they are both doing it. So she got Nautilises for them. They simply are not mature enough to stay in their seats every single time.

- Jena
  • um, never ;-).  O is showing no signs of outgrowing his radian so I have no desire to move him to a booster.  I guess if he gets really uncomfortable in his seat I'll consider after 5 but not before then.
  • I think MAYBE we will switch at age 5, though she is defiitely already above the "Age 4/40 inches" rule. Her Marathon is kinda tight around the shoulder area for her.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We moved her at 4 because she was too tall for her carseat anymore.  My pedi said once the straps were below the top of her shoulders and her head cleared the top it wasn't safe anymore so we got her a booster.

She still uses it (age 6 1/2), but no longer has the back on it.

Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • I say when she outgrows it.  If it is unsafe because she's too big, then look at a booster.

The carseat we bought for the truck actually can be used as a booster for up to 100lbs.  But our issue will be height long before weight.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"