Baby Names
Options

Nickname for Hazel?

DH and I love the name Hazel, but aren't so sure about a nickname.  Hazy?  Zel?  Zelly?

Any moms out there that have a Hazel- do you use a nickname?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nickname for Hazel?

• Options
    Hazel is such a great name, and I love Zelly :)

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I'm a little confused why you are pondering NN's for a 2 syllable name? and then your looking for another 2 syllable NN like Zelly? Ick!

Keep Hazel just the way is is, its a beautiful name.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hazel doesn't need a nickname. 
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options

For Hazel? Seriously?

I adore this name, but it's two syllables---just call her Hazel! There's no reason to contrive a NN.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I really can't think of one.  Like the name, but like PP have said I don't think all names automatically need NNs.  I personally hate the given NN for my name and refuse to respond to it (Michelle/Shelly). 

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Options
    Why think up nicknames before? IMHO nicknames come from events or personalities and just happen upon them, not something that the parent considers just as much as the actual name.
  • Options

I knew I would get some of these replies...and that's fine.  DH and I just like having "cutesy" nicknames for when they're little.  I guess we're just corny that way. 

We call my son "Russie" which is 2 syllables, same as Russell.

• Options
    I know a Hazel with the nickname Zella. I think it's kind of cute.
  • Options

Zella is better than Zelly but I just have to say that you probably didn't have the NN "Russie" picked out for your son before he was born...I'm sure it came with time

Wait until shes born, she might end up with a NN that doesn't have anything to do with her name like "Sissy" or "pumpkin"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSunshine is mine:

Zella is better than Zelly but I just have to say that you probably didn't have the NN "Russie" picked out for your son before he was born...I'm sure it came with time

Wait until shes born, she might end up with a NN that doesn't have anything to do with her name like "Sissy" or "pumpkin"

True.

Good point.

• Options

imagethatjessie:
    Why think up nicknames before? IMHO nicknames come from events or personalities and just happen upon them, not something that the parent considers just as much as the actual name.

Yes ITA.

My son is Andrew. We could call him Andy or Drew, and we tried to think of which one we'd use before he was born. Now that he's here, we call him Dee-Doo. It's how our two year old said his name when he first learned it and it just stuck.  LOL

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options
    imageToBeMrsC6907:

I knew I would get some of these replies...and that's fine.  DH and I just like having "cutesy" nicknames for when they're little.  I guess we're just corny that way. 

We call my son "Russie" which is 2 syllables, same as Russell.

I hear ya! I'd say probably half of the reason Giada is our #1 girl name is because I loooove the NN Gigi!

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I don't think Hazel needs a nickname...
  • Options
    Zelly is sweet. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    Zelly is cute.
  • Options
    I love the name Hazel, it's one of our faves.  But I don't think it needs a nickname.
  • Options

Eventhough I'm a huge nickname person, my first inclination was also that Hazel didn't need one.

But after doing some thinking, I've come up with a few that I think I like: Haddy, Hattie, or Hallie <-- this is my favorite one, because it shares the L at the end of Hazel as well.

Zel, Zella, and Zelly are NMS at all. They sound like alien names to me.

• Options

I know this post is old, but we are naming our daughter Hazel. We are not using a nickname...but I think Elle ( Or El) is a cute nick name for Hazel. Its a little different and Haze, Hazey, Zelly, Zel just sound weird. 

And i"m totally calling her my little Hazelnut! Why not?! People call their babies peanuts! My nuts just goes with her name :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"