January 2011 Moms
Options

Baby Acne

So my DS seems to have a case of baby acne and at first i thought it was a rash because it was all over his face and starting into ears and scalp. I was looking at pictures online though and im pretty positive it is baby acne. It does not seem to bother him (though hes been a tad bit crankier) but for the most part is fine. My question is do you think I should make a dr appointment (is there anything they can do for it) My mom's been on my back about making one but I'm pretty sure we just have to wait it out. What are your opinions/experiences? My DS does have his next appointment on the 18th I just dont know if i should go back sooner. Is it worth exposing him to the dr office germs?

Re: Baby Acne

• Options

They won't do anything for it unless it's really severe.  I find that cleaning it with a wet washcloth (plain water) helps it go away.  My friend swears by a dab of breastmilk on it, and I have tried that too.  Either way it seems to clear within a few days.  It could be eczema.  If it feels dry and rough I would say eczema.  My LO has had both baby acne and eczema, and for the latter I just put some aquaphor on it and that helped a lot.

• Options

If it's on the ears and head also, it is probably either Seborrheic Dermatitis or Eczema. Unless you baby seems bothered by it, there's no point in seeing the doctor. Our LO has Seb Derm and I wash her head/face with water every day and when she has bathes we use dandruff shampoo.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO has baby acne as well and we were told by our pediatrician that there wasn't anything we could do. She did say though if we wanted to and it got more severe to try switching to Cetaphil to wash her instead of the head to toe baby wash we use now. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS will occasionally get a bad case of it. Lately he's developed small red bumps all over his chest but these pop up when he get really sweaty. Unlike the rest of the country it's been really hot down here in Florida and my poor boy breaks out in a sweat very quickly. One thing I have found to help with the bumps on his face is Aquaphor. The hospital gave us a little sampler before we left and it works pretty well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Dd has had it for about two weeks.  It was really bad last week, but it looks like it is clearing up now.  I tried putting breastmilk on it, but I don't think it helped.  I've been using aquaphor after I wipe her face with a wet washcloth.  It keeps her skin from drying out and getting scabby.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Dr. said there wasn't anything we can do about it. However, after reading this, I think I might try BM and/or Aquaphor too.
  • Options
    DS got it at 4 weeks exactly.  It was all over his face, on his ears and across his hairline.  I didn't do anything but wash his face with plain water and put aquaphor on it so that it wouldn't be so dry.  He will be 6 weeks on Thursday and its pretty much gone.

• Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice. I just feel bad since it looks so bad but it doesnt seem to be bothering him. However I might try some of things you girls have. Thanks again
  • Options

My LO has it too and I didnt know what to do but reading this helped me out and Im gonna try this! Thanks alot

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If you BF you can express some BM and use it on the acne. I did it because DD had BAD acne, within 3 days she was acne free.
  • Options
    My doctor told me to us Cortizone Cream 1% and it worked for us. We would rub it on her cheeks and forehead...avoiding the eyes of course.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"