Cincinnati Babies
Options

Who do I need to sleep with...

...to get a bakery to freaking return my call/email regarding J's birthday cake? His party is THIS SATURDAY! Trust when I say that plan B (my attempt at making Thomas the Train cake) would be nothing short of disastrous. HA!

Re: Who do I need to sleep with...

• Options
    I recommend calling "A Spoon Fulla Sugar." Not terribly close to where you live, but I've always had good responses from them, and they're good about last minute orders. Here's their link: https://www.aspoonfullasugar.com/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageAllieSchmallie:
    I recommend calling "A Spoon Fulla Sugar." Not terribly close to where you live, but I've always had good responses from them, and they're good about last minute orders. Here's their link: https://www.aspoonfullasugar.com/

Thanks! I actually emailed them, yesterday. It's good to know that they come highly recommended.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hudson switched his party to Thomas at the last minute, so we ended up going through Biggs. Not my first choice but they had a Thomas set and it ended up actually being pretty cute. They had 3 tracks on it and a Thomas train to play with after that Hudson liked. I ordered it the day before so maybe that could be a plan c if no one calls you back:) also it actually tasted good- there was none left!
  • Options

You might have more luck with calling and leaving a voicemail. They work weird hours during the week, but they've always returned my calls within 24 hours. Hope this helps!

• Options

imageschwenjl:
    Hudson switched his party to Thomas at the last minute, so we ended up going through Biggs. Not my first choice but they had a Thomas set and it ended up actually being pretty cute. They had 3 tracks on it and a Thomas train to play with after that Hudson liked. I ordered it the day before so maybe that could be a plan c if no one calls you back:) also it actually tasted good- there was none left!

Thanks for the tip!  Which Biggs did you use?

• Options

I think a lot of small bakeries are closed on Mondays.  I bet you'll hear back tomorrow.

If you do end up making your own cake, I promise not to submit a photo to cakewrecks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMeg41208:

I think a lot of small bakeries are closed on Mondays.  I bet you'll hear back tomorrow.

If you do end up making your own cake, I promise not to submit a photo to cakewrecks. 

Oh, YOU might be my plan D, my dear.
  • Options
    It was Delhi Biggs... Which probably doesn't help you much.
  • Options

Sorry you are having such a hard time with this.  I don't know how helpful this will be, but I was in Walmart of all places last Friday and on their bakery clearance items cart (at my walmart its near the dairy section in the back) I saw a cute Thomas cake.  It had a train and some tracks on it.  Grif was dying over it. 

So, I know they have some Thomas cakes or at least have the capability to make one.  GL!

Kristen & Mike 7/2005
    Griffin 10/2007
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageTtimes3:
    imageMeg41208:

Oh, YOU might be my plan D, my dear.

Well if that is the case, then it definitely better not end up on cakewrecks. 

• Options
    imageTtimes3:

imageAllieSchmallie:

Thanks! I actually emailed them, yesterday. It's good to know that they come highly recommended.

I would try calling them. I emailed them as well and it took them a week to respond. Granted, there was still time before my party, but I had already booked Lisa's
    Welcome to the world Finley Michael - born 2/13/2010 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers pregnancy
    Baby Sister is coming soon!
  • Options
    If you get really desperate and you can find a Thomas cake pan (I think Party City had one).....I can help you make one.  It's really not that hard, just a little time consuming.  Seriously....let me know (by Fri am because you would want to make the cake in the am to let it cool to be ready to start decorating Fri evening). 
    Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I recommend calling "A Spoon Fulla Sugar." Not terribly close to where you live, but I've always had good responses from them, and they're good about last minute orders. Here's their link: https://www.aspoonfullasugar.com/[/quote]

Are they expensive to have a custom birthday cake done? I just checked out their website, and they do amazing work, but my fear is that it would cost an arm and a leg! ;-)

• Options
    imageBrougham7-15-06:

I recommend calling "A Spoon Fulla Sugar." Not terribly close to where you live, but I've always had good responses from them, and they're good about last minute orders. Here's their link: https://www.aspoonfullasugar.com/[/quote]

Are they expensive to have a custom birthday cake done? I just checked out their website, and they do amazing work, but my fear is that it would cost an arm and a leg! ;-)

I think they're reasonable, but I don't have much basis for comparison, and I haven't bought a really intricate, fancy cake from them. I bought an 8-inch cake for Jonah's party (their cakes are really tall, so think slices are plenty!) and we had aboutt 40 guests. We also had some leftover. I'm pretty sure it was $35, but the fondant penguin we had on top was an extra $10 or $15 (I can't remember exactly). Hope this helps!

• Options

imageJLPT830:
    If you get really desperate and you can find a Thomas cake pan (I think Party City had one).....I can help you make one.  It's really not that hard, just a little time consuming.  Seriously....let me know (by Fri am because you would want to make the cake in the am to let it cool to be ready to start decorating Fri evening). 

You are too sweet. Thanks for the offer! I should know, either way, by Wednesday at the latest.

• Options
    imageAllieSchmallie:
    imageBrougham7-15-06:

I think they're reasonable, but I don't have much basis for comparison, and I haven't bought a really intricate, fancy cake from them. I bought an 8-inch cake for Jonah's party (their cakes are really tall, so think slices are plenty!) and we had aboutt 40 guests. We also had some leftover. I'm pretty sure it was $35, but the fondant penguin we had on top was an extra $10 or $15 (I can't remember exactly). Hope this helps!

We just used them last month and paid $60 for our cake.  They said it was for 30 people, but I bet it was closer to 50 people with how big it was!  We had cake for a week!. 

• Options
    imageAllieSchmallie:
    imageBrougham7-15-06:

Thanks! I don't think that price is bad at all!  Keeping them in mind for this summer!

• Options
    If you get in a bind, my SIL may be able to make one.  They're delicious cakes and I believe she's made a Thomas cake before. 
  • Options
    i made a train cake following a you tube tutorial. think mini loafs of cake serving as train cars, candy to decorate (we used lots of haribo stuff) and kit kats for tracks, i have a pic on fb somewhere
  • Options
    i found it on FB and shared it on my wall for you
  • Options
    Just make cupcakes and put some Thomas toppers on them, if you get too hard up. I can't recommend the Oreo cupcakes from Annie's eats blog we made for Maggie's birthday enough. They are amazing.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Options

Here's the Thomas cake I made for DD's birthday.  I promise it wasn't hard.  It took me maybe 30 minutes to decorate.  The tracks are ground up chocolate graham crackers, and the trees are ice cream cones cut to size.  If you make the buttercream icing recipe on the Wilton site, it frosts really easily.  DD was really excited to have the new trains to keep.

https://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg285/lmjaxon/IMG_6364.jpg

• Options
    That's super cute!! Man, now I'm thinking we have to do a Thomas party for Maggie. She loves him.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Options

Fantasy In Frosting came through at the last minute for my DD's birthday cake

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagegimbal:

Here's the Thomas cake I made for DD's birthday.  I promise it wasn't hard.  It took me maybe 30 minutes to decorate.  The tracks are ground up chocolate graham crackers, and the trees are ice cream cones cut to size.  If you make the buttercream icing recipe on the Wilton site, it frosts really easily.  DD was really excited to have the new trains to keep.

https://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg285/lmjaxon/IMG_6364.jpg

Yes, I was going to recommend something like this - super easy. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"