Cincinnati Babies
Options

If you have a big baby...

When did you transition from the pumpkin seat to a convertable? M is almost 3 months, and I want to get him into the convertable because I think he's close to the 22lb weight limit of his current carseat. The concern I have is what to do with him when I am grocery shopping or out anywhere really? Would I just carry him around? I'm not ready to give up the convenience of the pumpkin seat because it's so nice not to have to wake him up when getting him out of the car, etc. But it seems like I don't really have a choice. Advice?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

Re: If you have a big baby...

• Options
    We switched Arlo to the convertible before he turned 3 months bc it was too heavy for me to carry around.  We went through and awkward period where he couldn't sit up in a high chair or cart and we never really found a great solution.  I kept the pumpkin seat in my trunk for a while and sometimes I would bring it in with me and put him in it.  Sometimes, I went shopping with the stroller (or if DH and I both went, one pushed the stroller and one pushed the cart), sometimes in restaurants we just took turns holding him.  We also wore him in a baby carrier when we could.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I waited til the last minute... Especially because it was still cold. It is much easier to use a bundle me on a pumpkin seat than get them all bundled up in coats, etc for the convertible.
    Until he was old enough to sit in the carts (which was about 4.5 months when he started sitting up..I also put a blanket with the cart cover to keep him upright since he was so small in there) I just brought a baby carrier... Super easy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Can you wear him in a baby carrier?  That might be the easiest thing until he is able to sit up on his own.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Asher is nearing 17lbs and for now I need the pumpkin seat for grocery etc. I like the suggestion above about keeping it on the trunk even when you switch him to the bigger seat. I imagine Asher won't make it to one year in his infant seat either!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We had to switch DS when he was between four and five months--before he could sit up.  I used the stroller a lot and the baby carrier some.  We even used the stroller in restaurants.  We have a Maclaren Quest so we could recline the seat some if needed.  It was a pain getting both kids into the car from the house since I had to switch up my routine, but it really wasn't as bad overall as I expected it to be.
  • Options
    Zac switched right around 3/4 months. I hated seeing the carrier go because it was so nice not to wake a sleeping baby. Unfortunately I think once the carrier goes there is no way to get around it.

Like pp we used the stroller a lot, took group trips to the grocery so we could switch who pushes vs. who carries until he was strong enough to sit in the cart.

In the grand picture, it's only a few months.
  • Options
    holy moly that is one big baby! ;-)  Love all of those rolls!  Jacob was a big baby, but despite that he was still in his infant seat until about 7-8 months.  Audrey is 7.5 months, and I think we will still get many more months out of her seat....thank goodness because it is so much more convenient.
  • Options
    My son was really big at birth (10 pounds), and kept on growing very nicely after he got here.  I was extremely worried about him outgrowing his infant seat, but as it turned down, he slowed down after about 4 months and I toughed it out despite the fact that he was so heavy.  With an older child, I just couldn't give up the convenience.  I think I finally gave in and moved to the convertible between 6-7 months when he was 18+ pounds.
    Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"