February 2011 Moms
Options

BF struggles

Anyone else struggling with breastfeeding?  I have flat nipples and LO can't latch properly.  My nipples are so sore and blistered.  I've been pumping but that's uncomfortable too.  I have been so depressed over the whole thing.  Going to the lactation consultant today and hoping we can get this problem solved soon.  I just want to feed my baby!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: BF struggles

• Options
    Two words: nipple shield! We ultimately decided to FF, but when I was BFing, the nipple shield was the only way LO was able to latch onto my flat nipples.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Hang in there! BFing is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I had problems too because DS was in the NICU for 4 days so he got used to a bottle, making it very difficult to get him to latch. I ended up using a nipple shield, got cracked and bleeding nipples and about quit because of the pain. I have never been more frusterated in my life. DS is 4 weeks old now, and I think we are just starting to get the hang of it, but we still have our bad days. I'm sure the lactation consultant will be able to help you a ton and you will get it figured out. Keep it up, you are doing great and doing the best thing for your baby!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were using the nipple shields but my nipples got so inflamed and I don't think lo was latching properly even with them because it hurt so much still.  He would also be at the breast for 45min-60min which is not right.  I don't think he's getting  enough with the shield.  We'll see. Maybe I'm not doing something right with the shield.  Thanks for the advice!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

LO is 3 weeks old and i have been BF'ing since he has been born but had to supplement with formula cause of jaundice.  i now think he is so happy with the formula cause it is comforting and he doesnt have to "work" at it to get full. so now i am at the point where i goofed on my BM supply and want to get it better. 

i spoke with a LC today and gave me a couple of tips to help move along my supply and get LO off formula. i hope it works!

• Options
    If you have support and the correct tools, breastfeeding WILL get easier.  LO and I struggled since day one, and in the last week things have gotten a lot better.  Unfortunately, we suspect he has milk protein intolerance now so formula feeding may be in our near future :(
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It is GREAT that you are heading to see a LC today! I hope that yours will be as awesome and supportive as mine. Good luck and hang in there:) It does get better.
  • Options
    I hope the LC will be a great help!  For blistering and cracks use lanolin-  put it on constantly and soak your nipples in warm water, like in the shower cup your hand around your nipple and let it soak for a few minutes- remember, no soap.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My nipples were so sore and cracked and bleeding after 1 week of exclusive bfing that DD started spitting up blood from me.  I had to start supplementing formula and pumping just so she could eat because it was too painful to bf.  We're still doing both formula and breastfeeding now that I'm finally healed and I'm slowly trying to replace a formula feeding with breastfeeding.  I wanted to quit it was so bad but now that everything is healed it's better. 
  • Options
    imageiamflamingo:

LO is 3 weeks old and i have been BF'ing since he has been born but had to supplement with formula cause of jaundice.  i now think he is so happy with the formula cause it is comforting and he doesnt have to "work" at it to get full. so now i am at the point where i goofed on my BM supply and want to get it better. 

i spoke with a LC today and gave me a couple of tips to help move along my supply and get LO off formula. i hope it works!

This is us what were the tips?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
  • Options

imagesbuxsweetie:
    Two words: nipple shield! We ultimately decided to FF, but when I was BFing, the nipple shield was the only way LO was able to latch onto my flat nipples.

This exactly, the nipple shield has worked wonders. 

image     image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

image    image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had issues with my LO wanting to latch on just the tip of the nipple... She can open her mouth to scream, but wouldnt open it wide enough to nurse.  After having one nipple crack over half the nipple and having significant blood in the milk I got a nipple shield to try and let the nipple heal.  The nipple shield didnot get rid of the pain but prevented further damage to the nipple.  She is now 3 weeks old, latching better and the crack is healed/not bleeding anymore.  Still a bit painful, but that gets better every day.  Take heart, it will improve! 
  • Options
    This is us too...tips? I heard to keep pumping, but I am still not getting enough.  I am barely getting 2oz total from both breast. 
  • Options
    Ask the LC for a prescription for APNO--it will heal your nipples much more quickly than lanolin.  And if pumping hurts, you probably need different flanges.  I'm sorry you're having such a rough time--I've been there.  Good luck, and I hope the LC appt goes well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"