Cincinnati Babies
Options

Rock N Play or Sleep Positioner?

Asher will not sleep unless he is swaddled.  His arms are all over the place.  This weekend he managed to roll over on his belly...while saddled in his crib. Ack!

I feel like my options are buying a RnP which will prevent him from rolling or get a sleep positioner (which I think may not be recommended anymore??).  Am I missing another option here?  Thoughts?  I can't believe he was able to do that!  Charlotte was swaddled FOREVER and never rolled while she was wrapped up.

TIA

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Rock N Play or Sleep Positioner?

• Options

The first time Eli rolled over he was like a day old... then again at 4 days old.  Honestly, the home care nurse when I told her said "oh they can't do that yet" and then he about rolled off the couch, because she took her hands off him (ignoring my stupid 1st time mom comment) and he almost rolled off.  She looked up and said, "They aren't supposed to be able to do that!" and proceeded to tell me not to take my hands of him during changes, etc.  Guess I wasn't such a stupid 1st time mom!  After that though, he refused to be on his belly again until he was a much more appropriate age.  He literally was just thrashing his body around (being upset about something) to get his body to flip, not really rolling.  So maybe it was a fluke?  Has he done it more than one time?

FWIW that was one reason we didn't swaddle Eli very long as an infant... I want to say only 2 months or so to be safe.

Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    He does go back to belly fairly well, so I know he can do it again. Oddly enough he won't go belly to back, which I thought was suppose to be easier. He is a strong little guy, when he is in his bouncer he constantly lifts his head in attempt to sit up straight. Now I put him in the bumbo seat because he prefers to sit like that. Charlotte was NEVER like this!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD didn't roll when swaddled, but was an absolute wiggle worm at night.  We tried the positioner and she just scooched all down in it and ended up with her face against the pads, so we gave up and broke her of the swaddle. 

ETA:  If he's still in the RNP weight limit I vote for that, I wish I'd known about it when DD was little, it would have probably gotten me a few more hours of sleep.

• Options
    I think the weight limit on the rock n play is 25lbs do that would work for him still. double check the weight limit online though.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMrs.Cooley2bee:
    He does go back to belly fairly well, so I know he can do it again. Oddly enough he won't go belly to back, which I thought was suppose to be easier. He is a strong little guy, when he is in his bouncer he constantly lifts his head in attempt to sit up straight. Now I put him in the bumbo seat because he prefers to sit like that. Charlotte was NEVER like this!
    He sounds just like Eli was. Eli did not want to lay down flat until it was nightime. During the day he slept on me, upright. He would not lay in the swing content either. He loved to have me hold him up to sit or stand, from like the first week on. That kid always wanted to be a mover and a shaker. And he also did the rolling thing backwards!!! Once we realized that was how Eli was, we just broke the swaddle. Sorry I didn't have a better suggestion!
    Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I vote the rockNplay... love that thing... she is still sleeping in it... but she is only 13lbs. When we went to CA, she slept in a packNplay just fine, at home... She refuses to sleep in one... This weekend we are going to tough it out and go cold turkey, but the rockNplay is a godsend!

GL!

• Options
    I used a sleep positioner with DS2  because he rolled early too and needed to be swaddled.  I am using the RnP with Serena now and it is much better.  The weight limit is 20lbs btw.
    DH - 42 Me - 36 DS1 -15 DS2 - 3 DD - 1
  • Options

imageMrs.Cooley2bee:

Are we raising the same child? Stick out tongue

• Options

You aren't supposed to use sleep positioners once they can roll over, and honestly the one we used with Ava was useless since she could still wiggle all over the place in it.  After finding her with the positioner around her head, we stopped using it.  We never used anything at all with Charlotte since she would only sleep on her tummy, but if I had known about the Rock and Play then we would have tried it (not sure if it was out then).  We bought it for Lila last week and after a few nights we went ahead and packed the co-sleeper away... the Rock and Play is the only place she sleeps well!

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"