High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

post-GD momma question

For those of you with GD that have had babies, I read that your BG levels start to regulate themselves and start to get better on their own before labor.  Is this true? How close to labor does this happen? I've had some great numbers and I'm hoping that means labor is soon!!!  Any thoughts?

Thanks! 

Re: post-GD momma question

• Options
    My BS numbers went down at 37 weeks.  Still needed insulin though.  I was induced at 39 weeks, but he would have come soon anyway.  They broke my water to start the induction and I had him 1 hour 40 min later. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Mine didn't start changing towards the end, but I was induced at 39 weeks showing no signs of labor, so maybe it would have been different had I been closer to going on my own. Actually being in labor made my numbers go crazy.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagememali26:
    Mine didn't start changing towards the end, but I was induced at 39 weeks showing no signs of labor, so maybe it would have been different had I been closer to going on my own. Actually being in labor made my numbers go crazy.

Same for me.  

• Options
    imagepaulaDPT:

For those of you with GD that have had babies, I read that your BG levels start to regulate themselves and start to get better on their own before labor.  Is this true? How close to labor does this happen? I've had some great numbers and I'm hoping that means labor is soon!!!  Any thoughts?

Thanks! 

That is an awesome question.  I was actually wondering that myself.  I am going to deliver at 34 weeks and all of a sudden during the last week my numbers have been really low.  I even had a nurse ask me if I wanted some juice in the morning today because my blood sugar was 76, which is really low for me.

• Options
    I had a schedule c/s at 37 weeks due to placenta previa.  My BS continued to rise slightly from weeks 34 to 37. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I was diagnosed really early with both pregnancies (9 weeks with DD, 5 weeks with this one) - my OB thinks it's probably Type 2 undiagnosed. So, that skews my answer a bit...

With DD#1, my blood sugar numbers rose steadily throughout my entire pregnancy, and got especially bad in the third trimester.

With this pregnancy, my numbers have been so good that I haven't needed insulin until about 2 weeks ago, and now my numbers are going a little crazy (high).

As far as L&D goes, I was induced and allowed to eat small meals (usually peanut butter and toast, or eggs and toast) during labor because of the GD. My blood sugar ran either really high or really low through my labor.

As soon as I had DD, my numbers were fine. I was able to eat a big turkey sandwich and a cookie afterward, and my post-meal number was in the 80's. They stopped testing me after 2-3 meals.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageBrendaK:

As far as L&D goes, I was induced and allowed to eat small meals (usually peanut butter and toast, or eggs and toast) during labor because of the GD. My blood sugar ran either really high or really low through my labor.

I'm jealous you got to eat! I was told no food because of the high change my induction could end in a c-section, so they just kept me hooked up to an insulin drip and a glucose drip and alternated between the two to control my BS. Unfortunately my nurses had no idea when to test me, what my numbers were supposed to be, or how much insulin/glucose to give and my first meal post labor (with almost zero carbs) ended with a number in the 150's. I'm hoping for a much better outcome this time.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagememali26:
    imageBrendaK:

I'm jealous you got to eat! I was told no food because of the high change my induction could end in a c-section, so they just kept me hooked up to an insulin drip and a glucose drip and alternated between the two to control my BS. Unfortunately my nurses had no idea when to test me, what my numbers were supposed to be, or how much insulin/glucose to give and my first meal post labor (with almost zero carbs) ended with a number in the 150's. I'm hoping for a much better outcome this time.

So sorry you had to deal with that! It's so frustrating when the nurses have no clue. I had to take a few insulin shots while I was in labor, and the first nurse absolutely would not let me do it myself. After 30 weeks of doing it, you have your own way, you know? So, she just stuck it in without pinching and ended up hitting blood. It hurt so bad, and she didn't even act like she cared. So frustrating. After showing subsequent nurses the big bruise that she left, I convinced them to let me do it myself.

As far as eating goes, I was induced at 7:00pm and told to eat a good dinner beforehand. I did, and then the next morning I asked about eating some toast. The nurses had no clue what to tell me, but given that I was only 2cm, my OB was ok with it, as long as I had some eggs with it. By lunchtime, I was only 3cm, so she ok'ed a piece of toast with peanut butter. I ended up having a c-section around 7:00pm that night with no problems.

They didn't have me on an insulin or glucose drip - thank goodness. I've heard it can be a nightmare trying to balance the two (especially with clueless nurses!).

I hope the second time around goes better for you!

• Options
    My GD has been diet controlled throughout this pregnancy and I really hate to be put on insulin just to control it during labor, but I'll be getting the IV anyways (GBS+)so they'll probably do it to be safe?  Maybe labor will go so fast they won't need to....(wishful thinking!)
  • Options
    Mine did not go down prior. My water broke at 36 weeks for my first son. I had a really long labor and had to be given insulin. Shortly after delivery I was back to normal although it was weird to be able to just order whatever I wanted to eat so I stayed on the diet a few more days..I was a little overwhelmed I think.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"